OT: something exciting in my life!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Sireneh

OT: something exciting in my life!

Post by Sireneh » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:45 pm

I am a 41-year-old stay-at-home mom and while raising my children full-time is all I ever really wanted to do once I had them, it can be an exhausting, thankless job that leaves a stay-at-home parent feeling rather unfulfilled some days. (Would you say that was a run-on sentence, or just a looong sentence?) I don't see anything technically wrong with it, and the Berenstain Bears author is notorious for starting his books that way. A person has to take a deep breath at the beginning. But I digress, as I do.)

Things have been particularly stressful in the last several months as my youngest daughter - who will be four next month - has been experimenting with boundaries and her own independence. What this translates to in layman's terms is that she can be very, very naughty and push me to my absolute limit. So when a Facebook friend posted that she was directing Anne of Green Gables at a children's theatre here, I wrote to her and said that I was interested in a terrified sort of way. She was very encouraging and told me that children's theatre is an excellent place to start, and that part of their mandate is to help newcomers to learn and potentially move on to professional theatre later on.

So I went out for an audition where I had to sing a piece I had prepared in front of five "judges" (not sure what the correct term would be for the people watching and evaluating the auditions) and then do a cold read, which was a short scene that I was allowed to read over once, then try to put some character into the part I was reading opposite one of the "judges." Anyway, after enough time had passed that I was SURE I was not being considered, I finally got a phone call asking if I would like to be in the play as a lady of Avonlea. It is just an ensemble role but it will be a really great starting point for me. I won't be thrown right into the fire but I'll be there to be involved in the process and I know I will learn a lot. It is going to be a wonderful opportunity to bring some balance to my life so I don't feel like ALL I have to talk about is my kids. Rehearsals are two evenings a week and one weekend day so I won't be missing much in terms of time with my kids, and anyway it'll be good for my husband to have some time with them alone, too. Sometimes they refuse to let him help them with things as they only want me, so getting more connected with them can only be a good thing.

Anyway, I just really wanted to share that. Thanks for reading!

quietmorning

Re: OT: something exciting in my life!

Post by quietmorning » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:34 am

Coolness!!

Congratulations!!

From one stay at home mom to another (my kids are grown and now have families of their own) - it is WELL WORTH the outcome.

JayC

Post by JayC » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:58 am

Sounds like a great thing all around, and a fun stretch of talents for you.... !

Enjoy!

newhosehead

Post by newhosehead » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:35 am

I think that is fantastic! I really think doing something just for yourself is part of being a good mom. Have a ball with the play!

Jeanette
Equipment: PR System One REMstar Pro CPAP
Pressure Settings: 12 cwp
Mask: Full Face Mirage Quattro

HoseCrusher

Post by HoseCrusher » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:28 am

While some view life as a stage, it is always exciting to set foot on a real stage and give it a go.

"Break a leg."

welki

Post by welki » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:41 am

Way to go, Sireneh!!

A star is born

welki

... once you get past all the superficial garbage, the rest is gravy

louspeachy

Post by louspeachy » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:55 am

FANTASTIC!! Keep us up to date on the progress!!

Louise
"Any day above ground is a good one."

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:47 am

Theater is a ball! on stage or behind it.
Have a lot of fun. It is also a place where adults are allowed to behave like 3 year olds.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

kteague

Post by kteague » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:06 pm

That sounds like fun - and yes, a bit scary too. Enjoy!

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:55 pm

Wonderful!

My secret dream is to be in a musical play--part of the chorus is fine, it's just something I have always wanted to do. Your children will love seeing you on stage!
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

busylady

Post by busylady » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:10 am

Staying at home with your kids as long as possible is not an option for many. Fortunately I could do that and many days we sat on the sofa reading for hours, finger painting, exploring nature, whatever. I found my outlet in volunteering, mainly through Girl Scouts. I was a leader for older girls and my preschoolers were tagalongs. If you'd look at my resume, you'd never know what was paid and what was volunteer, for I organized large, statewide events, trained locally and nationwide, and learned lots of things that transferred to a master's degree and exciting profession when my kids were older. I still find that I need to be doing something creative at home/volunteer if my paid job doesn't provide that outlet.

So, stay involved in the community, grab every opportunity, meet new friends to expand your network. Find someone to swap kids with or to take yours a few hours a week..... whatever you need to do to stay involved. Your resume will grow and open more doors for paying jobs when you decide to venture that direction.
Avatar is one of 200+ elephants in a collection started when I was in kindergarden. Thought it was appropriate.