Which Windows 7 to use with ResScan software on the mac.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Bobby269

Which Windows 7 to use with ResScan software on the mac.

Post by Bobby269 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:46 am

i use the latest version of ResScan software. My win Xp just passed away and my other option is to install the software on my mac. Which version of Win 7 do you suggest 32 bit or 64 bit.

Additional Comments: Set to Apap 14.00/20. EPR 3, Climate line hose, Oscar for Mac 1.1.0. Betta.1

jedimark

Re: Which Windows 7 to use with ResScan software on the mac.

Post by jedimark » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:22 am

Hi.. I'm not a mac user, but I do know that Wine now runs on Intel macs. Here's a custom Mac build of Wine, I can't tell you for sure how well it works.
It might work well enough for ResScan. It's free, so it's probably worth a shot.

http://winebottler.kronenberg.org/

As for 32/64bit software, it depends on the capabilities of your virtualization software and cpu. 32bit is a obviously safer choice, but I don't see a reason a 64bit build shouldn't work, provided ResScan is 64bit compatible.

Additional Comments: CMS50D+/F Oximeter, S9 VPAP Auto/Adapt, PRS1 Auto, Intellipap Auto, SleepyHead :)
Author of the free, cross platform, open-source sleep tracking software SleepyHead.
Download http://sleepyhead.jedimark.net
Source Code http://gitlab.com/sleepyhead/sleepyhead-code

Breathe Jimbo

Post by Breathe Jimbo » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:18 am

Check Apple's support web site for Boot Camp. You may or may not be able to use the 64 bit Windows 7. I seem to recall that you must use 32 bit Windows under Boot Camp, but I may be mistaken.

http://www.apple.com/support/bootcamp/

TalonNYC

Post by TalonNYC » Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:25 pm

If you're using it only for ResScan, I strongly suggest Windows 7 Home or (if you can get it) Starter. They are lightweight, install quickly, and leave out a ton of features that you just plain don't need if Windows isn't your primary OS.

Be sure to install Windows Security Essentials no matter what version you go with. It's free, and will provide the basic anti-virus/anti-malware you need for the shorter amounts of time you will run Windows.

BootCamp is preferred over using a virtual system for ResScan, as I've seen MacOS decide to reformat SD cards before the VM can grab them - even when they're set to read-only. I cannot sufficiently explain how, as that should be impossible, but it has happened on 3 occasions for me. Using BootCamp, it has yet to happen once.

tschultz

Post by tschultz » Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:32 pm

I run Windows XP as a virtual machine on both Parallels and VMware Fusion on Snow Leopard 10.6.7 and have no issues with either system when running ResScan. I have tried versions 3.11 through 3.14.
I have never seen the Mac try to reformat the SD card, but if you do open the contents using the Mac it will create a couple of hidden files in each folder you open but the S9 AutoSet does not seem to mind those files being present.

Adjusting to life with OSA and being pressurized each night ...