Which ResMed nasal mask for CPAP - Need opinon

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
archangle

Re: Which ResMed nasal mask for CPAP - Need opinon

Post by archangle » Tue May 31, 2011 8:45 am

Why did you want a ResMed mask in particular?

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

WhoDatSleeping

Post by WhoDatSleeping » Tue May 31, 2011 10:39 am

trytryagain wrote:I've used the Mirage Softgel and the Activa LT (same frame) and like them both. The Activa is lighter but I get a better seal from the Softgel. I've also been trying out the new Mirage FX. That one it the smallest, lightest and most comfortable, best headgear, but I'm really having trouble with leaks.

I agree with your comments on the Mirage FX. I love that it is small and light but I am battling the leak issue as well. Unlike the Activa LT, I find myself having to really tighten the straps to get a decent seal.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue May 31, 2011 11:30 am

What dollar store sells cpap masks? Where?
I'm ready for a road trip!

russellms76

Post by russellms76 » Tue May 31, 2011 1:05 pm

ResMed Quattro (FX) Full Face Mask. I keep it fairly tight and don't have any leak issues. Once it's set with the velcro straps, I don't have to adjust; also, it keeps my mouth closed but allows for occasional mouth opening. My wife loves it because it stopped my snoring.

Tranquilsleeper

Post by Tranquilsleeper » Tue May 31, 2011 2:52 pm

Personally, I liked the ResMed Mirage FX the best of all the nasal masks I have tried. The ResMed Activa LT is also excellent, but it is much heavier and bulkier than the Mirage FX. However, I ultimately became a nasal pillows user because there was so much less bulk on my face to deal with, and I can read and watch TV in bed easily. Like you, I have very small nostrils. The Swift FX, with the size extra small (XS) pillows, is perfect for me. Good luck with your search for a mask that works well for you.

Sara

bobwexler

Post by bobwexler » Tue May 31, 2011 3:46 pm

I have used two masks so far. Both work and get my AHI below 2 most of the time.
The first is called a No Mask. It uses a mouthpiece you customize with a heated gel material that forms to your teeth, like a dentist uses to make a model of your teeth before restoration work. with this setup you have NO headgear, just the mouthpiece and nasal puffs (pillows). It works surprisingly well but irritates my nares after a while.
The second mask is a Resmed Mirage Softgel Nasal mask. It also gets my AHI bellow 2 most of the time. It sometimes irritates my upper lip or my eyes.

Both devices have leaked on occasion. When I have a night with significant leaks my AHI can go above 8.0, on a very good night (last night AHI= 0.3).
I have my Resmed S9 Auto set for auto adjust from 4 to 10. It seldom gets over 8.

I too am looking for advice on the PERFECT mask.

romeroom

Post by romeroom » Tue May 31, 2011 6:14 pm

Again, I'm thrilled to be part of an online community that is so responsive and attentive.

Briefly,

1. The "dollar store" reference was sarcasm, insinuating a very cheap product.
2. Why ResMed? It seems that much of the input from online communities and other DMEs recommended ResMed.
3. I tried the Mirage FX a few times today and it felt great. Minimal leaks when I tried to force it to leak. Overnight will be the real test.

Judy in CA

Post by Judy in CA » Tue May 31, 2011 6:26 pm

I'm finding your thread so helpful as I'm not getting many responses to my post and I'm new and so in need of finding a new mask after 10 years of success in PA can't find support since we moved to CA
I'm trying to learn all the new 'NAMES' of this stuff as my old provider was so knowledgeable he'd come with examples of masks for me to try and it was a breeze.
let use know how you like your mask tonight.
i've had 4 in 2 months and seems like a total waste of the providers money
Judy

romeroom

Post by romeroom » Tue May 31, 2011 7:48 pm

Judy in CA wrote:I'm finding your thread so helpful as I'm not getting many responses to my post and I'm new and so in need of finding a new mask after 10 years of success in PA can't find support since we moved to CA
I'm trying to learn all the new 'NAMES' of this stuff as my old provider was so knowledgeable he'd come with examples of masks for me to try and it was a breeze.
let use know how you like your mask tonight.
i've had 4 in 2 months and seems like a total waste of the providers money
Judy
As I've discovered in my brief residence with this forum, the people here are most helpful when we give them as much detail as possible. So,

1. What CPAP machine are you currently using?
2. What are the names (brand/models) of masks you have tried and not liked and why?
3. Are you a nose breather, mouth breather, nose breather with a mouth that pops open once in a while or when you have a stuffy nose because of allergies?
4. What type of sleeper are you? (Back, side, stomach, all over the place)
5. If it would be easier and you are able, take a picture of the CPAP machine and current ask and post it.

I'm confident we can figure this out.

Moderator: If this question needs to move to it's own post, let me know how. If not, I don't mind Judy's company on this post.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue May 31, 2011 7:56 pm

"Dollar store:; I was kidding, too. But; I have to agree that at least some cushions/pillows have the lack of durability consistent with dollar stores. Others may mention brands.

Judy in CA

Post by Judy in CA » Tue May 31, 2011 9:15 pm

Romoroom
How kind of you to let me share your thread.For Now I'll just read on here and post the answers to your questions here so I can find them.
I thought that maybe there was a link here where you type in what your using and if so i haven't found it.So I'll just type it all in.
romeroom wrote:
Judy in CA wrote: As I've discovered in my brief residence with this forum, the people here are most helpful when we give them as much detail as possible.1. What CPAP machine are you currently using?
previous......and loved my ResMed Escape S8 with HumidAire 3i
Now...........Phillips Respironics Systemone Heated Humidifier Rem Start Plus c-Flex

2. What are the names (brand/models) of masks you have tried and not liked and why?
used and loved the RemMed Swift tm LT nasel pillows Med
now because I'm a mouth breather, allergies here, I use a chin stap
New Masks I've been trying...............
Mariage Quattro S
" " M
Flexifit 432 M Full face

3. Are you a nose breather, mouth breather, nose breather with a mouth that pops open once in a while or when you have a stuffy nose because of allergies?
nose, now a inconsistant mouth breather, thus the chin strap

Was a side now a back and they say that's when the apnea comes. My arms go to sleep it if lay on them too long
5. If it would be easier and you are able, take a picture of the CPAP machine and current ask and post it.

I'm confident we can figure this out.

Moderator: If this question needs to move to it's own post, let me know how. If not, I don't mind Judy's company on this post.
I know this is a sloppy post as it keeps jumping up and down and i can't even read it to submit. oye

codinqueen

Post by codinqueen » Tue May 31, 2011 9:30 pm

If you feel like the Swift FX nasal pillows are slipping out of your nostrils, or if your nostrils get sore, pick up some lansinoh cream, and apply very sparingly to each nostril. This pure lanolin ointment can be purchased for about $8.00 at some supermarkets and drugstores, is over the counter, & you will find it in the baby stuff aisle, next to any breastfeeding supplies. One tube probably lasts for about 10 years. It is recommended for breastfeeding moms to treat and/or prevent nipple sores with breast feeding, but it works wonderfully for us hoseheads too. A little dab in each nostril will do you. It keeps the nasal pillows pretty much in one spot because it is slightly tacky, and it protects so nostrils don't get sore, and if you already have sore nares, it helps quickly. Some people use KY jelly but i find it is too slippery for KY.

There is also a blog about fitting your Swift FX nasal pillows, that you should read but I don't know how to post links, so maybe someone else will post that info for you. Also, although this mask has two straps, I NEVER undo them, just hold it so the lower strap is the fabric one and the top strap is the silicone strap portion that goes over your head. I just stretch it a little on the fabric portion and slip it over my head while placing the pillows at the very edge of the nostrils. The pillows do not have to go INSIDE each nostril, just entering the nares works best. Also, keep your nasal pillows mask clean everyday, many use baby wipes with no aloe or alcohol, and also keep your upper lip clean of any facial oils and the mask will "seat' better.

Welcome to our group!

Last edited by codinqueen on Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pressure 6-10 cm

romeroom

Post by romeroom » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:23 am

codinqueen wrote:...There is also a blog about fitting your Swift FX nasal pillows, that you should read...
The blog can be found here: http://maskarrayed.wordpress.com/swift- ... ing-guide/

romeroom

Post by romeroom » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:37 am

Judy in CA wrote:...2. What are the names (brand/models) of masks you have tried and not liked and why?
used and loved the RemMed Swift tm LT nasel pillows Med
now because I'm a mouth breather, allergies here, I use a chin stap
New Masks I've been trying...............
Mariage Quattro S
" " M
Flexifit 432 M Full face

nose, now a inconsistant mouth breather, thus the chin strap

Was a side now a back and they say that's when the apnea comes. My arms go to sleep it if lay on them too long
5. If it would be easier and you are able, take a picture of the CPAP machine and current ask and post it....I know this is a sloppy post as it keeps jumping up and down and i can't even read it to submit. oye
Don't worry about the post being sloppy. We all get sloppy.

You've used and are using some quality masks. Can you give us more detail about the current ones you're using and how they are not meeting your needs as effectively as you'd like?

romeroom

Post by romeroom » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:54 am

romeroom wrote:Just picked up the Mirage FX and will be trying it out tonight. I'll report back.

Thanks for all the support.
Well, the Mirage FX: Slept 7 hours with it on. AHI was came out to .7 (point 7). Mask fit symbol was . I did not get a chance to download the data and check on the leakage factor. I did notice the need to adjust it a couple times when lying on my side with my head resting on my arm. This seemed to push up on the form-fitting head gear, which displaced the mask slightly. Tightening things up solved the problem. As far as comfort, even with the extra tightning, no question is the best I've used so far.

Strangely, Twice I woke up with very dry mouth, something that had not happened with my previous masks, and given that I'm a nose breather. I have to assume that my mouth opened up a time or two during the night. I do suffer from occasional stuffy nose, though it did not feel that bad last night. So, I'm thinking about getting a chin strap to see if that helps.

General somewhat unrelated question (no need for detail or to start a new post): I notice people wearing their CPAPs while reading or watching TV. Is this primarily in case they fall asleep? Is there other benefits of wearing it when not taking a nap or sleeping? I myself have found it to be quite relaxing during my pre-nocturnal use.