Mask question

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
DreamOn

Re: Mask question

Post by DreamOn » Sun May 29, 2011 9:42 pm

Jaylee wrote:The clips wont stay in the mask. They fly off several times at night. Maybe I can just replace those. The headgear and plastic part seem fine. Can you get new plastic clips? They aren't bent or anything, they just wont stay in the holder anymore. My nasal mask came with extras but this one did not.
Replacement parts for the Quattro are here: https://www.cpap.com/productpage-replac ... dgear.html. The Quattro cushion clip is $14 (plus shipping) at cpap.com. eBay sellers often sell the cushion and clip together, so you may want to check there too if you want to have a spare cushion on hand.

StevenXXXX

Post by StevenXXXX » Tue May 31, 2011 8:16 am

Jaylee wrote:The clips wont stay in the mask. They fly off several times at night. Maybe I can just replace those. The headgear and plastic part seem fine. Can you get new plastic clips? They aren't bent or anything, they just wont stay in the holder anymore. My nasal mask came with extras but this one did not.
I am always hesitant to make blanket statements, so this one may not be applicable to you.

My insurer (BCBS) & my DME allow me to buy each piece of the mask separately. That way, you do not have to pay for something you don't really need to replace at the time.

I can buy only the clips pretty much anytime I need - but to be honest with you, I have never replaced any clip.

I can buy only the two cushions of my ComfortGel mask twice a month, but I usually do not replace them that often.

I can buy only the hard plastic mask every 6 months but they last much much much longer than that.

I can buy only the headgear every 6 months & that is usually how often I replace it.

Again, I hate blanket statements, but I cannot see why your insurer would force you to buy something that you do not need. If nothing else, it saves your insurer some money by allowing you to buy each item only as you need it.

DreamOn

Post by DreamOn » Tue May 31, 2011 11:06 am

Each DME handles things differently. My DME does not sell individual mask parts, only the entire mask+headgear. If you use a brick-and-mortar DME, it's wise to learn what they sell and exactly how they handle payment and insurance. Then you can compare with online prices.
Last edited by DreamOn on Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue May 31, 2011 11:21 am

It depends on your insurance/DME.
It would be nice to know in advance what is allowed, but getting that info can be hard.
I finally got a human being on the line at BCBS, who would tell me the allowable amounts.
Man, I was writing down stuff like a court stenographer.

StevenXXXX

Post by StevenXXXX » Tue May 31, 2011 12:04 pm

My BCBS plan has a "Replacement Schedule" list that I have acquired.

It is my understanding that it pretty much follows the Medicare replacement schedule.

That replacement schedule lists the various separate parts of a mask that can be replaced at different intervals. If the DME wants to sell to people who are on that plan, they MUST sell each part separately (if it is requested). One can, of course, buy the entire mask at one time if that is what you need / want.

codinqueen

Post by codinqueen » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:44 am

I bought just the 2 plastic clips for the mask on cpap.com and they cost $6 for 2 in the package, plus $7 for shipping and handling, and they got here in 3 days from ordering. My DME will not allow me to purchase parts only.

Pressure 6-10 cm