Need to change your Activa LT mask cushion?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
KatieW

Need to change your Activa LT mask cushion?

Post by KatieW » Wed May 25, 2011 10:41 am

I've been using the Activa LT Small since Feb., and alternate 2 cushions. When I checked my data today, saw that my leaks which are normally 0-5 liters/minute, have skyrocketed up to 15-20 in the past week. Hmmm, are these cushions getting old? So I checked my notes, and realized how long I've been using them.

For those that use this mask, how long do your cushions last?

DreamOn

Re: Need to change your Activa LT mask cushion?

Post by DreamOn » Wed May 25, 2011 4:30 pm

Hi, Katie! Good to see you're still here too! I visit the forum regularly, but I don't comment as often anymore.

I used to use the Activa LT all the time, but I can't remember how long I used it before I switched (mostly) to the Headrest nasal pillows mask. I do know that I never changed my Activa LT cushion. I suppose that doesn't really help you much.

Especially since you rotate cushions, that does seem like a short period to have to replace the cushion. What do you wash them with? I use the original (green) Palmolive dishwashing liquid that my DME recommended. It isn't as harsh as Dawn and some others.

I normally have zero leaks, but occasionally I will go through periods where leaks will increase. It seems to resolve within a week or so, then I go back to all zeros. My AHI does that too. Just these last few days I've been having some obstructive apneas and hypopneas, whereas normally my machine records only centrals. Go fish. Next week will be different.

KatieW

Post by KatieW » Wed May 25, 2011 5:21 pm

DreamOn wrote: Especially since you rotate cushions, that does seem like a short period to have to replace the cushion. What do you wash them with? I use the original (green) Palmolive dishwashing liquid that my DME recommended. It isn't as harsh as Dawn and some others.

I normally have zero leaks, but occasionally I will go through periods where leaks will increase. It seems to resolve within a week or so, then I go back to all zeros. My AHI does that too. Just these last few days I've been having some obstructive apneas and hypopneas, whereas normally my machine records only centrals. Go fish. Next week will be different.
Hi DreamOn! I wash with Dr. Bronner's unscented liquid soap. But I do have very oily skin, so maybe that makes a difference? Prior to using the Small size, I was using Medium, and I do seem to average 2 cushions over a 4 month period, then big-time leaks. Was just wondering what other people's mileage is. I like the Headrest too, but it's too cold (in WA), and I get mask-rainout.

Sounds like your therapy is going well. Not sweating the data anymore, eh? Me neither....I download once a week, though I do check AHI on the lcd screen. Since my husband has been on cpap, we like to compare AHI in the morning, just for fun. He gets more 0-0-0 than I do.

DreamOn

Post by DreamOn » Wed May 25, 2011 5:45 pm

Dr. Bronner's should be good. It'll be interesting to see how often others have to replace the Activa LT cushion. It could also be that the headgear loosens with time, but it sounds like replacing the cushion solves the leak problem, so that's probably not it.

I feel you on the Headrest mask rainout! That is the only drawback with that mask. Otherwise, I love it!

Up until just these last few months, I was downloading the data daily and still examining it with a fine-tooth comb. I finally convinced myself that was too excessive after a year-and-a-half of CPAP use, so I broke myself of the daily downloading habit and do it just once a week now. I still do record my sleep data from the LCD screen every day onto my obsessively designed chart, though. I'm not sure I'll ever give that up, as I'm quite OCD in general.

Dual CPAPs in the house. That must be fun. Fortunately, my husband doesn't have sleep apnea. He does move excessively during sleep, however. And he has very vivid, bizarre dreams.

DaveMunson

Post by DaveMunson » Wed May 25, 2011 5:57 pm

Three months. By six, you will be really able to tell the difference when you get new. When you do replace the mask, see how "sticky" a new mask is. When you get new, try to make sure you don't get old stock.

It is more an aging of the plastic than face dirt. Alternating the cushions may not be helping.

You can try to "refresh" them by soaking in vinegar for a few hours.