HOW MANY MASKS DO WE PHANTOMS REALLY HAVE?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
JudyAnn

HOW MANY MASKS DO WE PHANTOMS REALLY HAVE?

Post by JudyAnn » Tue Oct 19, 2004 3:38 pm

Ok, now how many masks do you have in your stash and how long have you been a "HOSEHEAD".

Also, you might as well throw in how many "machines" you have too.

Too bad we don't have a "Prize" for the most.

I have been a "Hosehead" since July 20, 2004 and I have one machine and two masks.

Judy

garym053

Post by garym053 » Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:06 pm

Hosehead since February, 2003
One CPAP-Resmed S7 Lightweight
4 Masks- Profile Gel, Resmed Vista, Breeze, and Resmed Activa.

Gel mask didn't stand up to a setting of 16 very well- many, many leaks into the eyes from the sides blowing out.
Vista worked okay at first, but may have been the wrong size for me as I got some sores on the end of my nose where it must have rubbed.
The Breeze took about a month to get used to but after that I loved it. Then a couple of things broke on it, and I picked up an Activa while waiting for the parts. The Activa is the best mask out there right now in my opinion. I still switch off between the Breeze and Activa and like them both.
Gary

Snuffle-nose

Spare Masks

Post by Snuffle-nose » Fri Oct 22, 2004 3:48 am

Hi been a "Hose head" for 2 years already.

I have two nasal masks currently as I travel around alot, one for home and one for away from home......

I remember that I once forgot to bring the mask along with my CPAP. I had the CPAP and tubing but the vital part the nasal mask was left at home, ARRRRRUGH!!!!!!!

This happened when I was sleeping away from home, oh boy...I woke up so dreadful in the morning that I can still remeber the splitting headache and fatuige the came with it!

Never again, so there one mask for home and one in the bag with the machine for away from home. Now I sleep nicely. Oh if you wonder what brand it was, it was the same my old one., Proflie Lite. I have found that mask very comfortable.
Been on CPAP for a while.....I had moderate apenoa

BOBBY

Post by BOBBY » Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:19 am

HOW MANY MASKS SHOULD I HAVE,and will the NHS supply me with more,at the moment i use a nasel mask,but i think a full face mask would be better.
i have been on cpap for about 3 weeks now and i am still having trouble sleeping

JudyAnn

Post by JudyAnn » Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:53 pm

Bobby,

You have only been on CPAP for 3 weeks.
It took me 6 weeks to finally keep the mask on all night and sleep through the night.

I could not tolerate the constant pressure of the CPAP so after 4 weeks on that I was switched to an Autopap and did 100% better.

I have a Mirage Activa nasal mask and for a change I have the Swift Pillow system both by Resmed.

You have to be patient with this. If you find that CPAP is too much, ask your doctor about an Autopap which gives you your high pressure only when you need it and not all the time.

I just posted this subject because I know that a lot of old timers of SA have a lot of masks to interchange and I was curious as to how many and what kind they were. No one says you have to have more than one but I have been on this journey only since July 20, 2004 and I have 2 masks and want to get more.

Hope you adjust to this because it is very important. Just be determined about it and please be patient and keep asking questions.

Judy

Plum Ugly

Post by Plum Ugly » Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:52 am

I've been a hose head for 2 years.
4 mirage II full face masks,4 10 ft hoses, 2 remstar pro's and 1 HC220 + humidifiers and 2 spare water chambers for all.
I believe in keeping well stocked.
#2 cruncher in the world for Find-a-Drug. Helping find cures!
Check it out at find-a-drug.org
Catch me if you can!

rested gal

masks and machines

Post by rested gal » Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:11 am

Fun question, Judy Ann!

Machine: Puritan Bennette 420E autopap
Back up machine: Respironics Remstar autopap
(Software and clinician's manual for both.)
Even older backup: the "Tranquillity" straight cpap a friend gave me back when I wanted to see if cpap really would help me...and it did.

Masks: My favorites that I use regularly -
Breeze/nasal pillows (Puritan Bennett)
Activa (ResMed)
Ultra Mirage full face (Resmed)
Backups for each - as Plum Ugly said, it's good to keep well stocked.

A mask that was "ok" (but I like the Ultra Mirage FF better) - Respironics ComfortFull.
A mask that will suit me fine when I get around to having the nub inside cut off - the new redesigned Oracle

Masks I bought that did not suit me at all - others may love them!
Nasal Aire II - too noisy
Lyra - leaky and noisy
Comfort Gel, Profile Lite, Comfort Classic - all were leaky and uncomfortable
Hans Rudolph FF - leakiest thing ever
Oracle (the original design) - the old tongue guide was ridiculous
Vista - leaky
Breeze with Dreamseal - leaky

It takes only one mask that really suits you, to give you good therapy. The trick is finding that mask.
For me... the Breeze/nasal pillows and the Activa!

But I still like to try others. If I hadn't tried "others", I wouldn't have found those two...I'd still be using that pretty blue gel first mask that leaked and left strap marks every morning.

JudyAnn

Post by JudyAnn » Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:50 am

Hey Rested Gal,

I thought I would see who has the most if everyone would answer.
I was wondering when you would put yours down. Cool!

Hey, I like your Profile picture. It took me forever to get something that was small enough. I collect fairies so I was glad I found one small enough.

You know, I have been using my Activa more than my Swift. That chat is next week but I will not be there and I am anxious to see what they have to say about the air noise or if they can improve it.

Judy

Titrator

Judy Ann

Post by Titrator » Mon Oct 25, 2004 4:04 pm

You don't even want to know how many masks I have

Yoga

Machines & Masks

Post by Yoga » Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:52 am

Plum ugly (bet you're really beautiful),

Do the Remstar Pros you have come with c-flex? Was one of your Remstar Pros defective since you have had two in 2 years? (I had to have my Remstar Pro w/c-flex replaced after only a short time). Do you like the Remstar Pro or the F&P 220 best?

I have a nasal aire I which gives the best results for me at the present time. The F & P Flexfit 405 did not give me enough air so I increased the pressure 3 notches and I am getting more air.

I checked with both Respironics and F & P and neither of them tests their masks with the other's machines. I wish they did.

Plum Ugly

Post by Plum Ugly » Tue Oct 26, 2004 1:28 pm

Thanks Yoga;
I use a puritan-bennett companion manometer to check the air pressure on everything. I have 1 with c flex an 1 without.But I prefer not to use c-flex feature or ramping.
I've not had any problems with the remstars but I wanted a backup just in case.I found one from someone I know really cheap with 30 hrs on it.
I like the remstar best over the F&P 220 as I think it's more quiet and I think it's much more accurate on the air pressures. At least it is on the 220 I have.
I'm one of those that can't breathe though their nose so I use a large full face mask with head gear I have modified to fit me.
#2 cruncher in the world for Find-a-Drug. Helping find cures!
Check it out at find-a-drug.org
Catch me if you can!

# of masks and units

Post by Guest » Tue Oct 26, 2004 5:58 pm

I too, have several masks - 3, and a Respironics machine. However, I have had trouble with all three masks leaking air even after boiling and fitting them to my face. The pillow mask seemed to work best. The biggest problem, though, is the air that is blown into my stomach instead of down my airway. It is most uncomfortable! At this point, I'm not sure I will keep trying although the new "Nomask" seems to look good. The idea of it fitting to your teeth and blowing into your nose may work a little better. May try it. I have moderate obstructive apnea and I think that if I can get the obstructions (clogged nasal passages) to go away, I may not need the machine. Otherwise, may need to lower the pressure or drop the CPAP completely. [/quote]

TarrenH

Post by TarrenH » Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:46 pm

I was diagnosed in March 2000. Since then I've gone through tons of masks and three machines. My first machine was a Respironics Solo. Then Respironics Remstar Pro with Cflex. I really liked that machine. I'm currently using a Respironics Auto. As for my masks:

Comfort Gel
Comfort Classic
Gold Seal
Respironics Full Face----extremely uncomfortable and leaky!
Simplicity-- Good concept,bad fit. The nasal cup cut my nose daily.
Mirage ---leaky but I used this for a long time.
Comfort Lite
Oracle--- This one was a joke.

Breeze with nasal pillows -- I'm currently using
Activa I'm currently using. I trade off between these two. I'm sure there are a few more I'm forgetting.

I want to try the Breeze Dream seal.

Tarren

sharonokc

Post by sharonokc » Sat Oct 30, 2004 9:06 pm

hosehead since 1983

2 machines, looking for 3rd.

Currently using mirage mask, but have all my old mask, including broken ones. Not quite 1 per year but close. Couldnot work with nasal pillows. Loved my full face mask, but it kept coming apart.

My first mask had this large balloon which came out the front, I don't know what it was called but am sure glad the new ones have come along.

WindFlyer

Post by WindFlyer » Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:01 pm

Hi everyone:

I just joined the discussion board and you all can view my intro in the intro section, but for the answer to this quesiton:

1 CPAP unit
2 masks- one for my nose, one that covers my nose and mouth

been a hosehead for six months now- and LOVING it!!