Provent Nasal Apnea treatment

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
VVV

Re: Provent Nasal Apnea treatment

Post by VVV » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:34 pm

respcd3 wrote:I have used the machine for several years and have also had the dental device. I decided to try PROVENT and I must say this has been by far the best therapy I have ever had. It works extremely well. I have awaken refreshed for the first time in a few years. It is very easy to use and I am back to sleeping in bed with my wife because it has just about gone away. I have severe OSA and I couldn't be more impressed....At least give it the 10 day trial.
I think the regular members here can generally recognize someone working for a company and giving glowing but very false testimonials for the product. You should be ashamed of yourself.

In any case here is the ABC News feature on Provent from April 16, 2012 - http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/snoring ... e-16147191

I could not help but notice the lady in the video bragging about Provent has her head lying on the hose when they show her using CPAP. Maybe she was always clamping off the hose and never getting a good CPAP therapy?
.....................................V

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:44 pm

She also had the headgear so loose, there's no way it could work.
I guess something has to take the place of "bleeding".
(Back in the Middle Ages, they thought it would cure anything--all it did was kill the victim faster)

NateS

Post by NateS » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:21 pm

I think I recognize that lady from one of their regular video testimonials on the Provent website from a year ago or more.

Also, I wonder who paid for the production of that commercial???

Nate

Present Rx: EPAP: 8; IPAPlo:11; IPAPHi: 23; PSMin: 3; PSMax: 15
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it." —Groucho Marx

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:06 pm

Commercials are NOT news!
Never were; never will be.
I'd like to see 60 Minutes or Penn and Teller get on their case.

BobB59

Post by BobB59 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:03 pm

I have been using Provent daily for about four months and it word fine for me. My metric is my wife, who is aVERY light sleeper. She says it is better than the CPAP machine. And so much more convenient. Especially for traveling. I am a believer!

pats

Post by pats » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:37 am

BobB59 wrote:I have been using Provent daily for about four months and it word fine for me. My metric is my wife, who is aVERY light sleeper. She says it is better than the CPAP machine. And so much more convenient. Especially for traveling. I am a believer!
I am very dubious about the claim that Provent is better than the CPAP machine, at least for anyone who can use CPAP at all. None of the studies seem to support that. I use Provent for travel, and it works well for me, but my sleep doctor definitely wants me on APAP for normal use.

Sleepy Jack

Post by Sleepy Jack » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:47 pm

Provent takes some time to get used to! You have to stick with it. First few days are very hard. There will be the feeling of anxiety while you are awake (because it restricts your nasal exhalation) and most likely mouth breathing while you sleep. Try to relax when you put it on. Gently breathe in through your nose and mouth, and exhale only through your mouth while still awake. If you exhale through your nose you are screwed! That will raise your heart rate and make you tense. Then you'll never get to sleep. Best to wait until you are very sleepy and put it on at the last minute. If you it keeps waking you up in the middle of the night take it off and give it a go the next night. Can take over a week to get used to ("hell week"). But it will gradually get better, and it works!

You must be consistent with it. I made the mistake of stopping (because I have to pay for it out of pocket). Bad idea! Getting proper rest is worth the money! When I started using it again I had to start from scratch and went through Provent "hell week".

Also I see people posting about how the air hole is too small for exhalation. That is true while you are awake. But when you fall asleep your body and breathing relaxes, and then Provent will work by creating pressure in your airway thus keeping it open. This bodily relaxation is also the reason your have apnea to begin with!

Once you get used to it you will know the difference. You will wake up feeling better than ever and your airways will be wide open!

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:13 pm

Sleepy Jack wrote:Provent takes some time to get used to! You have to stick with it. First few days are very hard. There will be the feeling of anxiety while you are awake (because it restricts your nasal exhalation) and most likely mouth breathing while you sleep. Try to relax when you put it on. Gently breathe in through your nose and mouth, and exhale only through your mouth while still awake. If you exhale through your nose you are screwed! That will raise your heart rate and make you tense. Then you'll never get to sleep. Best to wait until you are very sleepy and put it on at the last minute. If you it keeps waking you up in the middle of the night take it off and give it a go the next night. Can take over a week to get used to ("hell week"). But it will gradually get better, and it works!

You must be consistent with it. I made the mistake of stopping (because I have to pay for it out of pocket). Bad idea! Getting proper rest is worth the money! When I started using it again I had to start from scratch and went through Provent "hell week".

Also I see people posting about how the air hole is too small for exhalation. That is true while you are awake. But when you fall asleep your body and breathing relaxes, and then Provent will work by creating pressure in your airway thus keeping it open. This bodily relaxation is also the reason your have apnea to begin with!

Once you get used to it you will know the difference. You will wake up feeling better than ever and your airways will be wide open!
sleepyjack...You are responding to an old post...also they are going out of business

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=87995&p=806306&hili ... nt#p806306

mollete

Post by mollete » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:53 am

LSAT wrote:...also they are going out of business

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=87995&p=806306&hili ... nt#p806306
This is not correct.

The going rumour is:

"They are filing for bankruptcy and awaiting acquisition".