Opus 360?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
DocWeezy

Opus 360?

Post by DocWeezy » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:18 pm

Hi all....I'm curious about the Opus 360. I know that some of you really like it and I'd appreciate hearing from those who have tried it--for good or bad.

1. Are the side pieces on your cheeks hard plastic or silicone? Or just a couple layers of neoprene? Do they conform to your cheeks?

2. Is this the kind of pillow mask where you need to let the pillows inflate and don't have to have the headgear tight? I've discovered that I can't handle tight headgear on a nightly basis.

3. How long do the pillows last?

Thanks!

Weezy

ozij

Re: Opus 360?

Post by ozij » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:30 pm

DocWeezy wrote:Hi all....I'm curious about the Opus 360. I know that some of you really like it and I'd appreciate hearing from those who have tried it--for good or bad.

1. Are the side pieces on your cheeks hard plastic or silicone? Or just a couple layers of neoprene? Do they conform to your cheeks?
I'm a side sleeper, I bought Padacheek's pads for the Opus, and that was excellent - the side pieces are (probably...) "not that hard plastic with inefficient padding..." -- they left marks on my face without the pads.
2. Is this the kind of pillow mask where you need to let the pillows inflate and don't have to have the headgear tight? I've discovered that I can't handle tight headgear on a nightly basis.
I didn't need to have the headgear on tight.
3. How long do the pillows last?
I can't answer that, I had to move to a full face mask before they wore out, and I was alternating them with the Headrest while I used them.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

Cindy Lou Who

Post by Cindy Lou Who » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:39 pm

DocWeezy wrote:Hi all....I'm curious about the Opus 360. I know that some of you really like it and I'd appreciate hearing from those who have tried it--for good or bad.

Hi Doc W. I've used the Opus for about 7 months.
The side, light weight plastic pieces are pliable and feel like they conform to my cheeks. They have some padding where they touch the skin. It's not uncomfortable but feels better (and leaves less of a mark) after I confiscated the moleskin cloth that covered the pliable silicone straps from my Swift FX and put them around the plastic side pieces. Over time the padding will degrade and flatten allowing the edge of the plastic to touch the skin. My husband's heavy whiskers may have something to do with that. He replaces his Opus headgear every 7 to 8 months because of that.
One possible negative for me: On my head the plastic side pieces end and attach to the headgear straps at the bottom of my temple. If I lay long on one side I can feel the loop slightly pressing in there. Since I spend most of my time sleeping supine its not often an issue.
2. Is this the kind of pillow mask where you need to let the pillows inflate and don't have to have the headgear tight? I've discovered that I can't handle tight headgear on a nightly basis.[/quote wrote:
2. These pillows inflate very ,very little. Size wise...what you see is what you get whether the machine is on or off. When my Auto increases pressure I'm aware of slightly more tension against the underside of my nose where the pillows interface with skin...but that is about all I feel. The pillows only touch the bottom of the nose, and do not rest on the upper lip like the Swift FX. I have the headgear straps so loose that I can easily put several fingers under them. If the straps are tighter than that I can feel my pulse in my nose and it keeps me awake.
3. How long do the pillows last?[/quote wrote:
3. I'm still using the same pillows after 7 months and they feel the same as new. Hubby replaces his every 7 to 8 months because he gets new with the new headgear. So far that's the only reason he's replaced the pillows. If you tried the Opus over a year ago, they may have re-designed the pillows a little since then. The part that goes up inside the nose is a tad longer (several mm) so they aren't as easily dislodged. I'm a side sleeper and they work great for me.

Doc...hope this helps...Pleasant Dreams!
Cindy

paulw

Post by paulw » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:58 pm

Hi Doc
I picked the Opus 360 out of the basket of masks the RT bought in to try on me when I went in for my split night sleep study.
When I got my diagnosis and was set up with equipment, I got the 360 and its been my primary mask since, although I've tried (and purchased) a Swift FX and just got a Respironics GoLife in the mail and will try it tonight.

1) The frame is a foam lined plastic. I'm a side sleeper and would sometimes I get mask marks on the side I sleep on. I sewed sleeves out of some scraps of light fleece Norma has in her sewing room that eliminate the marking. I prefer the silicone straps on the S FX, but...

2) The pillows don't inflate as much as the S FX's, but I don't need to have the headgear on tight. It took a several of nights to get used to the contact of the pillows against my nose. The Swift FX "inflating" pillows were much easier to get used to, but again I guess my nose was already broken in However....

3) I've been using the same Opus pillows since I started xPAP (July 2010), the Swift pillows after less than 3 weeks of use now leak & appear to be worn out.

I feel I've been fortunate to have hit on this mask right at the beginning. Even though I can't help looking for a better solution, its nice to have the 360 in the nightstand is case the "next best thing" doesn't work out.

Dimples

Post by Dimples » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:23 am

I also have an Opus 360 and have no trouble with leaks - took a little bit of adjusting the straps, but no more than any other mask. It doesn't need to be tight, just enough to hold it in place.
I did get an imprint on my cheeks from the foam coated plastic, but I made my own covers out of soft TShirt fabric, and no more marks.
I also made a cover for the hose section on the mask as it would sometimes rub on my forehead if I smushed my head into the pillow too much.
I tried the Swift fx, but couldn't stop the pillows from moving - every time I moved the hose moved, and caused too many leaks.
I love that on the Opus I can attach the hose at the top of the headgear, which keeps the pillows stable and in place all night.
The pillows fit just right, and stay put all night, and they are much easier to detach and clean than the pillows on the swift fx. (but you need to make sure they are replaced correctly - I had a horror night when I just couldn't get it right, kept hissing and such, finally got up, checked mask, and I'd replaced the pillows slightly crooked - easy fixed and back to sleep)
The back of the headgear did slip a bit, but a couple of bits of velcro (the hook side) easily fixed that.
It's a good mask, comfortable, and not complicated.
Dimples

yrnkrn

Post by yrnkrn » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:41 am

I have just started using Opus 360 with Intellipap, about a week ago. I chose the Opus over the Swift FX because it does not touch my upper lip and so far very pleased with the Opus.

bap40

Post by bap40 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:35 am

I recently tried the opus pillows after using my Swift LT for her for over a year. I just wanted to try something different to see if they might be better.
They did not work out for me. I have a smaller sized head and that might be the problem. I found the side pieces that run along your cheek to be more uncomfortable than the covered Swift. I also found that since the pillows of the opus did not have an adjustment in the base as does the Swift I could not adjust the position of the pillows or angle of the Opus pillows. I did go back to the Swift Lt for her within a week and have been happy once again.
Brooke

DreamOn

Post by DreamOn » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:09 pm

I like the Opus 360 a lot. The AEIOMed Headrest is my primary nasal pillows mask, but the Opus 360 is my second-favorite. It's very lightweight, which I love!