Helpful way I found to Fall Alseep

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Kahfree

Helpful way I found to Fall Alseep

Post by Kahfree » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:26 am

So being just two days out using my machine, I needed to find a way to fall asleep and not feel like the mask was going to cause suffocation.

Anxiety is great for me when putting on the mask but last night, on night two, I decided to attach a small personal size fan that has the clip on the end to my bedpost at the headboard on the opposite side of the bed. I set the fan to high and let it blow on me as I drifted off to sleep. Compared to the first night, when I had to even shut off the humidifier on the unit, last night was easier.

The air blowing on me was great because I did not feel boxed in. The use of the humidifier the first night was not easy as I felt like a sauna was in my face and it made sleeping difficult. I need the room to be cool when sleeping.

I was able to use the cpap and sleep till 4 am before I took the mask off. I need to find a way to not feel like I need to remove the mask when I wake up in the middle of my sleeping. My goal is to wear the mask during sleep for 6 hours each night. I will overcome the mental anxiety with the use of the cpap and mask because I know that its more harmful not to use it. Its almost like when I was using contacts for the first time. It took me 30 mins to put those things in my eyes, and longer to take out. However, soon enough I overcame the feeling that I was going to poke my eyes out and used them daily with ease.

Kelly

BlackSpinner

Re: Helpful way I found to Fall Alseep

Post by BlackSpinner » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:37 am

The humidifier has controls on it that allow you to use which heat level you prefer. You can also just turn it off and have it blow over the unheated water.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

bap40

Post by bap40 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:48 am

Very innovative. Whatever works is the key. Keep it up.
Brooke

Kahfree

Post by Kahfree » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:59 am

BlackSpinner wrote:The humidifier has controls on it that allow you to use which heat level you prefer. You can also just turn it off and have it blow over the unheated water.

The first night I did turn it off, but...I want to use the humidifier and the level setting of 1 is the lowest. I used that last night and it was good.

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:10 am

bap40 wrote:Very innovative. Whatever works is the key. Keep it up.
Absolutely! That's very clever, Kelly, to figure out something that helps you get through getting used to this crazy new way of trying to "sleep."

The CPAP is giving you the ability to "breathe" air during sleep.

And the fan is giving you the ability to do just that!

Cool! (silly pun intended... )
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

flowergal3

Post by flowergal3 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:33 pm

Kelly, great idea! I'm new to this too, and always looking for a way to get through the night more easily. Your positive attitude is contagious, keep up the good work!

robysue

Post by robysue » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:30 pm

Re the fan idea: If it works for you that's great! And it's also great that you've thought of sharing the idea with others as well. Good example of a can-do attitude!

WindFlyer

Post by WindFlyer » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:58 pm

One of the mental "tricks" that I used early on when I had that "suffocating" feeling come up was to remind myself that I am most certainly NOT suffocating! In fact I have a high volume of air flowing through my hose to my mask and if anything I will be getting MORE available air through my mask than without it. I forced myself to take a nice, deep breath through my mask, and that was about all it took to prove to myself (mentally) that I was okay and I was getting plenty of air.

40,000 hours on CPAP
100% Compliant for 15 yrs.+

Mask breathers unite!

Kahfree

Post by Kahfree » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:07 pm

WindFlyer wrote:One of the mental "tricks" that I used early on when I had that "suffocating" feeling come up was to remind myself that I am most certainly NOT suffocating! In fact I have a high volume of air flowing through my hose to my mask and if anything I will be getting MORE available air through my mask than without it. I forced myself to take a nice, deep breath through my mask, and that was about all it took to prove to myself (mentally) that I was okay and I was getting plenty of air.

I am also doing that, talking to myself and letting my brain now that millions of people have sleep apnea and I do not think they are suffocating to death with the use of the mask, but perhaps they and I would if we never started to breath again while using it. I cant think of a worse way to die then to suffocate. Thank you for your tip and I hope more people can retrain their brain to accept the cpap.

Thanks to everyone who has responded and for your kind and encouraging comments.

Kelly

secret agent girl

Post by secret agent girl » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:20 pm

Last edited by secret agent girl on Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kempo

Post by kempo » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:08 pm

Years before I ever used a xpap machine I used a fan to blow a breeze across the bed. It felt good to me plus the white noise effect puts me to sleep. I am convinced it is the biggest reason I adapted to the xpap so quickly.

Good luck with your treatment.

MoonBear

Post by MoonBear » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:45 pm

Great trick, and I bet you will become a superior lab rat

Isn't it ironic that the mask can make us feel like we are suffocating when, in reality, we are actually suffocating when we don't use the mask?

Namaste,
MoonBear