Resmed Swift LT for her nasal pillows, last how long?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
msradar65

Resmed Swift LT for her nasal pillows, last how long?

Post by msradar65 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:08 pm

I have been on cpap now a little over a month. I use resmed LT for her nasal pillow mask. This morning I awoke with one blowing air in my face. I think they have gotten soft over the course of the month. I also use Lanisoh on my nose every night.

So how long should I expect the nasal pillows to last? I have received my first set of replacement pillows, so I will probably change out tonight and pitch the old one.
Diagnosed 08/31/10. Titration 9/02/10. Started CPAP 11/01/10. Auto mode 10-15cm. Alternate mask GoLife for her. Back up mask Full-life full face w/Pad-a-cheek mask liner. Comtec CMS F50 wrist pulse oximeter. Sobakawa Cloud Pillow, Sleepyhead software

jweeks

Re: Resmed Swift LT for her nasal pillows, last how long?

Post by jweeks » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:28 pm

Hi,

They seem to last about 6 weeks for me. I usually buy 10 of them for around $12 each from a vendor that I found on E-bay. This ends up being less than what my co-pay would be if I got them via my insurance plan.

-john-

cpapernewbie

Post by cpapernewbie » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:33 pm

john: do you mind sharing the address of your LT supplier?

Additional Comments: CPAP history: dumb tank, auto, PR M, PR System 1, PR BIPAP, PR System 1 model 60, Resmed S9, Resmed S10, Dreamstation
Resmed airsense 10

msradar65

Post by msradar65 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:41 pm

I bought some from Ebay seller as well.
Diagnosed 08/31/10. Titration 9/02/10. Started CPAP 11/01/10. Auto mode 10-15cm. Alternate mask GoLife for her. Back up mask Full-life full face w/Pad-a-cheek mask liner. Comtec CMS F50 wrist pulse oximeter. Sobakawa Cloud Pillow, Sleepyhead software

Emilia

Post by Emilia » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:51 pm

I get about 2 months out of my pillows.... now on my second set and those are closing in on 2 months. That is an excellent price... can you share the ebay vendor with us? I think I paid $22 per online!

Yes, that blue eyed beauty is my cat! He is a seal point, bi-color Ragdoll. I adopted him in '08 from folks who could no longer care for him. He is a joy and makes me smile each and every day.

Gymrat76

Post by Gymrat76 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:25 am

Wow, I had no idea the pillows had such a short lifespan! I've been using my Swift FX for close to 2 months now and have not had problems, nor did I expect them to become soft so quickly! Is the 6 week lifespan of the silicone pillows the average lifespan for this product? Looks like I'll need to start ordering some replacement pillows soon

Popi

Post by Popi » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:02 am

My pillow (for men) is on its 13th month...with zero problems. I wear it 6-8 hours a night and wash/soak it in vinegar weekly. And that's it. I'm still using my original equipment that I first received with my machine. I have spares, but everything is still functioning properly, so I see no reason to change anything out.

socks349

Post by socks349 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:02 am

I'm actually over 18 months on the same pillows/mask and everything. I think I have at least 3 spares of everything too, just can't find a good reason to replace. I'm wondering if other factors are more important, such as any creams, gels, etc that may interact w/the pillows and increase aging. I just use a high quality face cleaner, wash w/water, nothing else. I do pull the pillows off the mask each morning so it rapidly air-dries and I reassemble pillows to the mask, reattach tube before sleep. I wash pillows once a week in water with some baby soap, rinse well and air dry, same for mask and tubes. Haven't seen anything growing in there, nor any change in the texture of the pillows.

plr66

Post by plr66 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:06 am

ResMed began producing noticeably inferior quality LT pillows about 2 years ago. If you have 6-7 hours to do some light reading, you might check out this now-well-worn thread.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=41729&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

It appears that the flimsier pillows are likely being manufactured in Asia. Rumor had it that the better and longer lasting pillows may have been (possibly still are?) produced in New Zealand.

There is a mold number embossed on the bottom side of each pillow, as shown below.

I think it would be very interesting & useful if everyone like Popi and Socks349, who is currently having long-term successful use of their "newer generation" LT pillows (6 months or more) would get out a magnifying glass and post what number is on their pillows. (Be careful to hold the pillow as shown, so that 6 and 9 are not confused).

[img]http://i491.photobucket.com/albums ... .jpg[/img]
DeVilbiss IntelliPap Std Plus with Smartflex; Transcend miniCPAP & Everest2 w/humidifier & batt for travel. UltraMirage FFM; PadACheeks; PaPillow. Using straight CPAP at 13.0/passover humidifier. AHI consistently < 1.5. Began CPAP 9/4/08.

socks349

Post by socks349 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:10 pm

My current pillow has a tiny '10' embossed as you indicate. Then I looked at the two spares and saw '8' on one '0' on another - but packaging for the spares does say Resmed Singapore, pillows made in China. Maybe I need to switch to one of these and see what happens...

plr66

Post by plr66 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:25 pm

socks349 wrote:My current pillow has a tiny '10' embossed as you indicate. Then I looked at the two spares and saw '8' on one '0' on another - but packaging for the spares does say Resmed Singapore, pillows made in China. Maybe I need to switch to one of these and see what happens...
That might be helpful, Socks. And be sure to keep that good one in a really safe place and labeled!
DeVilbiss IntelliPap Std Plus with Smartflex; Transcend miniCPAP & Everest2 w/humidifier & batt for travel. UltraMirage FFM; PadACheeks; PaPillow. Using straight CPAP at 13.0/passover humidifier. AHI consistently < 1.5. Began CPAP 9/4/08.

msradar65

Post by msradar65 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:13 pm

I just checked my pillow and it has a number 2 on it. I do use lanosih on my nostrils every night. I also discovered that the left side pillow the inner pillow was turned the wrong way.

sewsleepy

Post by sewsleepy » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:26 pm

Well, this is an interesting thread. My husband and I both use the Swift LT. I've had my pillow (or "nozzle" as we call it, ha ha) for about a year, he has had his a little less than a year, and no sign of them wearing out. Mine has a 7 on it, his has a 5.

I had just read recently that you should replace the pillows every 6months and I realized we had had ours so much longer than that, but really they both still work fine.
PR System One 60 Series Auto CPAP with Heated Tube Humidifier, Airfit P10 mask

plr66

Post by plr66 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:06 pm

msradar65 wrote:I just checked my pillow and it has a number 2 on it. I do use lanosih on my nostrils every night. I also discovered that the left side pillow the inner pillow was turned the wrong way.

Msradar, unless someone has evidence to the contrary, I think we can put #2's on the poor quality list. When I had my "good" LT pillow, the inner shell never turned the wrong way. I couldn't even imagine how that could happen until I got some of the flimsy ones. I'm not sure whether Lansinoh has a negative effect on silicone, and don't remember anyone having ever mentioned that here.

msradar65

Post by msradar65 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:08 pm

Well, I washed the nasal pillows and I think I am going to try a new one tonight. I'm glad I picked up extras from e-bay. Causing awaking to air blowing in your eye is not pleasant.