TSA experience December 2010

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
JayC

TSA experience December 2010

Post by JayC » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:58 pm

I just cleared security at TAMPA airport (Florida USA). No swabbing of CPAP, although told to take it out just as I do my laptop. I think I got some type of body xray.....no grabbing nor wanding. My carryon was rescanned, and my cpap battery was taken out of the luggage (with me standing close but not helping!!), and rescanned separately.

Was done as respectfully and quickly as possible. Really no big deal, just different from 6 weeks ago out of a different airport, and different from my Tampa experience earlier this year.

Glad I brought the battery.....as we had a blackout of several hours last night during prime sleep time.......and I didn't lose sleep before a long travel day....so I am happy!

J

LinkC

Re: TSA experience December 2010

Post by LinkC » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:12 pm

Thanx for the update! I suspect a lot of us (including me) will be flying this Christmas season.

I THINK you only get groped if you refuse or "fail" the backscatter scan. Several others have reported their machines were not swabbed recently. That's a step in the right direction. Guess they are getting used to CPAPs. Now that I notice such things, there is a HUGE number of people (mostly men) with CPAP bags on their shoulders trekking thru airports these days.

Unlike his passengers who died screaming as the car went over the cliff...

digitaleagle

Post by digitaleagle » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:10 pm

Just went through Des Moines airport to Houston. First time I ever took the CPAP on the road. Just told to take the CPAP blower out of the case - ran it through the x-ray. No swabbing or anything out of the ordinary. (Same treatment as my laptop) I asked one of the TSA agents if they see a lot of these and she said yes, it is very common.

Tomorrow I will go through Houston with their new scanners. I will let you know if there is anything out of the ordinary, but I highly doubt it.

Amigo

Post by Amigo » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:14 pm

LinkC wrote:...Several others have reported their machines were not swabbed recently. That's a step in the right direction. ( ) Guess they are getting used to CPAPs. Now that I notice such things, there is a HUGE number of people (mostly men) with CPAP bags on their shoulders trekking thru airports these days.
Well, isn't that just great. I wonder how long it will be before a terrorist packs a CPAP with explosives...since they're not swabbing them routinely.

This is just another confirmation for me that all the crap they put us through is pure security theater.

DreamLady

Post by DreamLady » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:16 pm

If they packed a cpap with explosives, that would be visible via the xray scanner. They have a good idea what's supposed to be in there, and I did see them take one off the conveyor and swab it last time I flew over Thanksgiving. Mine was actually picked up and it appeared it was being looked over for any signs of tampering or excess weight. He commented how light it was. It's amazing how many cpap machines you see when traveling once you know what to look for!

rosacer

Post by rosacer » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:57 pm

I have a question for the frequent travelers. Do you put a lock in your luggages to avoid non scrupulous people to stole things from inside it? I remember somebody told me they where not allows to lock the luggages when traveling from Germany, but that was 2 years ago.

I went to Europe last September and I locked my luggages without any problem but I didn't stop in USA. Is it allowed or they will cut the locks?

Thanks

Rosie

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:07 pm

rosacer wrote:I have a question for the frequent travelers. Do you put a lock in your luggages to avoid non scrupulous people to stole things from inside it? I remember somebody told me they where not allows to lock the luggages when traveling from Germany, but that was 2 years ago.

I went to Europe last September and I locked my luggages without any problem but I didn't stop in USA. Is it allowed or they will cut the locks?

Thanks

Rosie
From my experience they want the checked luggage to be unlocked. They should ask you at checkin or bag drop off point. You should carry anything valuable as carry on.

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:33 pm

Amigo wrote:
LinkC wrote:...Several others have reported their machines were not swabbed recently. That's a step in the right direction. ( ) Guess they are getting used to CPAPs. Now that I notice such things, there is a HUGE number of people (mostly men) with CPAP bags on their shoulders trekking thru airports these days.
Well, isn't that just great. I wonder how long it will be before a terrorist packs a CPAP with explosives...since they're not swabbing them routinely.

This is just another confirmation for me that all the crap they put us through is pure security theater.
I wouldn't make that statement making suggestions like that.

Not knowing the steps in screening process is part of the deterrent.

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

bearded_two

Post by bearded_two » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:34 pm

There are TSA approved luggage locks that the TSA has 'master' keys for that they will use if they need to open the bag. The TSA will cut off non-TSA approved locks (and/or possibly damage the bag) if they want to open a locked bag.

woodg

Post by woodg » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:56 pm

I've been on CPAP for just over a year now, and I travel extensively for my work.

I first noticed the non-swabbing of CPAPs in September, when I went through Newark, NJ. That seemed to be an isolated incident, but in the last 4 or 5 weeks, I've noticed that more often than not, they don't swab every one, at least in larger airports. The smaller airport that I fly out of, still does the residue test every time, on every machine.

I've also noticed a lot more people traveling with CPAPs. I had 3 flights in a row with someone in front of me in the security screening with a CPAP.

It's nice to know I'm not alone. (not that I thought I was...lol.. )

rosacer

Post by rosacer » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:25 pm

Thank guys for the information, I won't lock my luggages, I don't have TSA approved locks and I will hope nobody will take anything. It's not a funny thing if you find something is missing even if that hasn't a high value.

I watched the youtube clip about airport thiefs and I think now I'm a bit paranoiac