S9 Auto Review - Totally Happy!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Fredman

S9 Auto Review - Totally Happy!

Post by Fredman » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:19 pm

Here is my review of my new Resmed S9 after one night.

CPAP machines are like shoes or outfits. They aren't one size fits all nor is there one machine that works for everyone. The S9 is not for everyone. I realize that there are more than one type of S9, so my comments are only general.

I am happy to say for this veteran cpap user that the Resmed S9 for me is a huge improvement over my Respironics REMstar Auto. The REMstar is an admirable, reliable and steady workhorse and provided 5 years of great service. It now becomes my backup machine beside my recliner, ready for those afternoon naps.

So what's so good about the S9
Quiet! - whisper quiet. My wife nor could I hear the unit. That alone is worth the investment!!!
Mask noise - again couldn't really hear any!
Interface - Really simple and user friendly
LCD Panel shuts off after a minute - no blaring light or glow
Humidifier tank easy to remove and fill
Size - If you travel, the size and the weight including travel case will nicely fit under an aircraft seat
Climateline - No rainout!!!! I set the hose to 70 F (22 degrees Celsius) and had no rain-out this morning.

Not so good
Hose is situated in rear of unit
Software not commercially available (am I wrong?)

Improvements that could be made
If the hose vent is to be situated at rear of the unit create a swivel (a challenge for the climateline hose needing a power connection)
Mask off alarm (I have a kitty that sneaks into my bedroom and turns on my REMstar by sitting on the buttons!)
Taking one from the computer/cell phone/ebook industry - skins or wraps - choose your color of design to wrap the body of your unit to suit your decor!

Resmed don't implement (IMO)
No MP3 player built in
No alarm clock
No built in radio

Cheers!

msradar65

Re: S9 Auto Review - Totally Happy!

Post by msradar65 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:30 pm

I love my S9 Autoset too! I am a newbie. The software is not available but check out Uncle_Bob and he will get you situated.

I have to agree with you on no swivel mount for the climate line hose. Otherwise I am thrilled with mine. I have been able to wear my mask a full 8 hrs since the 3rd day I got my CPAP set up.
Diagnosed 08/31/10. Titration 9/02/10. Started CPAP 11/01/10. Auto mode 10-15cm. Alternate mask GoLife for her. Back up mask Full-life full face w/Pad-a-cheek mask liner. Comtec CMS F50 wrist pulse oximeter. Sobakawa Cloud Pillow, Sleepyhead software

Fredman

EPR

Post by Fredman » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:13 pm

I forgot to mention that EPR is set to "on" number 1 setting. I am not sure if that is the lowest or highest setting. I find the EPR is more responsive than the AFLEX on my REMstar. With AFLEX I could almost feel the resistance at the resistance at the very beginning of exhalation. Of course that might be only perception and not accurate on my part.

Cheers!

kempo

Post by kempo » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:23 pm

Fred, if you ask Uncle Bob for the software he will email it to you.

Fredman

Post by Fredman » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:26 pm

kempo wrote:Fred, if you ask Uncle Bob for the software he will email it to you.
Thanks for that!

Cheers!

Physician

Re: S9 Auto

Post by Physician » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:34 pm

While the S9 is probably one of the top units, there are criticisms of it. I've listed most of them in a prior post.