cpap and dental decay

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Twentysix

Re: cpap and dental decay

Post by Twentysix » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:13 pm

I'm getting slightly confused by some of the answers on this thread. I thought the humidifier was helpful in preventing blocked nose, cause I got the advice to turn up the temperature a bit when the first nights my nose kept getting blocked (from 26C to 30C). That seemed to help. Now I read here that you should turn it DOWN when your nose gets blocked??

Stephen001

Post by Stephen001 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:33 am

For some of us smiling can really be a problem, but you can finally put a stop to this! As visiting a dentist is highly expensive you can go for home teeth whitening. Teeth whitening strips is the common form of teeth whitening.The main attraction of this type of teeth whitening is the simplicity of use.They are easy to apply and you need no special preparation.

Teeth Bleaching

Julie

Post by Julie » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:23 am

Quite a few people get nasal congestion from a high or heated humidifier setting (I'm one of those), so you have to try what works for you... everyone's different.

Twentysix

Post by Twentysix » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:55 pm

Julie wrote:Quite a few people get nasal congestion from a high or heated humidifier setting (I'm one of those), so you have to try what works for you... everyone's different.
Thanks Julie. You got me less worried.

spitintheocean

Post by spitintheocean » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:06 am

I've had two root canals and two cavities in the past six months, after a year of cpap use. In my previous 54 years I only had two other root canals and maybe four cavities in total. The dentist advises my gums now have deep pockets ...... several with 10 counts and I will need remedial work.

I blew right through my insurance limits this year for the first time ever.

I have been getting twice annual check-ups and professional cleaning for the past forty years. I'm curious as to whether the the regular reflux I had prior to beginning cpap (it's since disappeared) jumpstarted the gum damage and root decay or whether the cpap treatment is a contributing factor due to dry mouth (although I thought that I was breathing through my nose since I began this therapy) or too tight mask fitting.

I have been using my humidifier on a II setting continuously to avoid nasal congestion; I'll try dialing it back to just before off and see if I can sleep peacefully in that mode.

I've racked my brain to recall any other changes that occurred in my life during the same time period besides the cpap treatment; all that comes to mind is a new pair of prescription glasses and switching from Kit Kat to Caramilk bars just before I go to sleep. Those glasses are kind of tight on my temples!

Life is something to do when you can't get to sleep.
Fran Lebowitz

HoseCrusher

Post by HoseCrusher » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:29 am

Spitintheocean, a rather remarkable mouthwash can help with dental issues. It is called Oxyfresh and can be purchased at a dental office, or online. There have been a lot of studies on this and it actually seems to work.

My dentist has been pushing this mouthwash and has been very pleased with its results, even though it may cut into his profits a little.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:31 pm

I suspect my current bout with periodontal disease (with no history of perio or dry mouth) is related to both my failure to find
a properly-fitting full-face mask-- AND my diabetes which has been a bit out of control lately.
I think both. The dry mouth is better when I can get my mouth taped, stuck, or strapped shut consistently while using my FX;
or when I can get one of my full-face torture devices to stay sealed--(lots of luck on that one)
We need to BUILD me a custom mask--as nothing yet has fit my odd little beak properly,
Good news: as my blood sugars have been coming down, my gums are in better shape.
I have also been disciplining myself (bad frog) to brush more often and use the dry mouth mouthwash.
(not the one with no water--the other one)

spitintheocean

Post by spitintheocean » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:24 pm

HoseCrusher wrote:Spitintheocean, a rather remarkable mouthwash can help with dental issues. It is called Oxyfresh and can be purchased at a dental office, or online. There have been a lot of studies on this and it actually seems to work.

My dentist has been pushing this mouthwash and has been very pleased with its results, even though it may cut into his profits a little.
Thanks HoseCrusher; do you know which mouthwash your dentist is promoting? There appear to be four or five different ones on the Oxyfresh website. http://www.oxyfresh.com/dental/

Fran Lebowitz

wjp

Post by wjp » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:02 pm

I use a full face mask, and even with the humidifier often wake up with a very dry mouth.

While I have not seen any additional cavities, my dentist was concerned and mentioned that a dry mouth from whatever cause, could lead to additional decay. He prescribed a high fluoride tooth paste to try and toughen the enamel as much as possible.

Julie

Post by Julie » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:25 pm

You may well be getting cavities now from GERD, acid reflux (rots teeth!) which tends to accompany OSA, even if you didn't have it beforehand.

Big Stevoreno

Post by Big Stevoreno » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:15 pm

I don't want to be accused of thread jumping but since nobody has answered my question in another thread which I started, 70 views so far but no replies, my question could be dental related so I'll ask it here. After several years on CPAP and using a nasal mask 2 weeks ago I switched to a full face mask due to mouth breathing issues. Since I've been using the full face mask the only negative I have experienced these past 2 weeks is the inside of my mouth feels like it's been scrubbed during the night since I'm still opening my mouth at night but with the full face mask no air is leaving my mouth. I don't know if using the full face mask will have any effect on my gums just yet but it could. Anyone else here participating in this thread who uses a full face mask who also has a CPAP pressure of 18 or greater experienced any irritation issues inside the mouth as a result of using a full face mask and having a high CPAP pressure?

spitintheocean

Post by spitintheocean » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:52 pm

I use an FFM and my average pressure is 18.3 ........ no irritation encountered but here we are discussing the potential for dental decay including gum disease through anecdotal experience.

Just remember that at this pressure, any mask leak will be problematic because of the increased air velocity. When the mask is secure with no leaks, the only potential side effects for some should be aerophagia (gas) and discomfort exhaling for the newly initiated. Since you've been doing this for a couple of years, neither should be a problem.

Fran Lebowitz

HoseCrusher

Post by HoseCrusher » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:19 pm

This is the one that my dentist favors.

http://www.oxyfresh.com/dental/rinse_unflavored.asp

Big Stevoreno

Post by Big Stevoreno » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:31 pm

spitintheocean wrote:I use an FFM and my average pressure is 18.3 ........ no irritation encountered but here we are discussing the potential for dental decay including gum disease through anecdotal experience.

Just remember that at this pressure, any mask leak will be problematic because of the increased air velocity. When the mask is secure with no leaks, the only potential side effects for some should be aerophagia (gas) and discomfort exhaling for the newly initiated. Since you've been doing this for a couple of years, neither should be a problem.
The problem I seem to be experiencing is the air blowing around in my mouth at night with my new FF mask on because I'm still opening my mouth. I am beginning to get replies to the other thread which I started on switching from a nasal mask to a FF mask with a pressure of 18 and most who have posted suggested I turn my humidifier up which I plan to do tonight. It's been set on 2, tonight I'll move it to 3 and see what happens.

Post by Guest » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:05 am

Have been curious about this and was just about to post a new topic and then found this one. I am suffering from severe bone loss and very deep pockets and am facing implants for several teeth. A total nighmare. After consulting with my dentist and periodontist, I am convinced that years of ( pre-cpap) severe OSA resulted in reduced blood/oxygen flows to the gums (and everywhere else for that matter), and contributed to the severe gum recission, deep pockets, bone loss, etc. I am hoping that by now being on CPAP and maintaining a higher blood oxygen saturation level, that that my gums (and more importantly all other organs like my heart) will get healthier, but the gum damage that has been done is not likely to be reversed by using CPAP. I have no opinion as to CPAP making things worse, but have been on CPAP for 5 months and just had to have a root canal. I guess I'd rather suffer the pain and hassle of dental work than the effects of untreated OSA.