My S9 Slimline is KAPUT!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
cpapernewbie

My S9 Slimline is KAPUT!

Post by cpapernewbie » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:05 pm

This morning I woke up groggily and tried to unhook the slimline hose to slip in the M series Hose swivel.
Probably my bad karma, when trying to disengage the slimline hose, it just broke up.

Looking around for slimline replacement- the price seems to be awfully high -$32, while I can buy a normal hose at below $7

any good idea on how to get a new slimline hose at a more reasonable price?

Additional Comments: CPAP history: dumb tank, auto, PR M, PR System 1, PR BIPAP, PR System 1 model 60, Resmed S9, Resmed S10, Dreamstation
Resmed airsense 10

Roman Hokie

Re: My S9 Slimline is KAPUT!

Post by Roman Hokie » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:11 pm

I believe that ResMed is the only company that makes the Slimline. Is the item still under warranty? Have you been disconnecting the Slimline hose by pulling the HOSE or the connector?

You CAN use a non-slimline hose with the S9. There's a setting on the menu for hose-type and you need to select STANDARD as opposed to SLIMLINE. Then you can use the $7.00 hose. But, no. I've not seen them less expensive. Perhaps CPAPauction.com?

If you see me acting unruly, call me on it. PMs are welcome.

PetrusKy

Post by PetrusKy » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:20 pm

What's the difference between Slimline and non-Slimline besides the slimness?

jdm2857

Post by jdm2857 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:25 pm

...and is the SlimLine like the short hose on the Swift FX?
jeff

DreamOn

Post by DreamOn » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:02 pm

There is a SlimLine offered on CPAPAuction right now: http://www.cpapauction.com/listingPage. ... ngId=91229. None at eBay when I checked, but they'll probably start showing up there too.

There has been discussion within the last month or so on this forum about how fragile some of the SlimLine and ClimateLine hoses seem to be. They tend to tear near the rubber cuff. Some of us have reinforced that area with silicone tape in the hope that it'll last longer. Some have had their DME replace their torn hose at no cost (warranty). I have read that ResMed is working on a redesign.

The only difference between the SlimLine and a regular hose is that the SlimLine tubing is smaller diameter. It's about the same diameter as my Opus 360 mask small tubing (roughly the same size as the Swift FX tubing). The rubber parts that connect with mask and machine are the same size as a regular hose.

As Roman mentioned, you can use regular tubing with the S9 machines. As he said, you just change the Tube setting from "SlimLine" to "Standard" via the machine menu. I'm trying out the ClimateLine heated hose right now, but normally I've been using my regular hose with the S9 machine. It's a bit heavier (not a big deal to me), but much cheaper and more durable.

cpapernewbie

Post by cpapernewbie » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:14 pm

Hi all, thanks for all the suggestion and comments. Sure, I am aware that we can use the normal hose, however in my less than 1 month of experience,the slimline is great to minimize leaks since it is not that rigid.This very flexible hose is unfortunately very fragile and easily get torn at the 2 rubber ends.

yes,Wilsonville is selling his slimline for 50% price at CPAPauction,thank you DreamOn.
For the time being, I taped both ends with the black electrical tape,hope that this measure will give me peace of mind until my karma improves

Additional Comments: CPAP history: dumb tank, auto, PR M, PR System 1, PR BIPAP, PR System 1 model 60, Resmed S9, Resmed S10, Dreamstation
Resmed airsense 10

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:26 pm

Resmed has made such good durable products for so long it is a bit disconcerting to read of the problems w/the durability of some of the nasal pillows and the SlimLine hose. It seems since the change of CEOs that the entire climate at Resmed has changed and certainly not for the better for Resmed's end users. It makes me want to run out and invest in a good stockpile of S8s whilst the getting is still possible like Wulfman has on the pre-M Series for his future use. Long live the S8!!!!

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:06 pm

PetrusKy wrote:What's the difference between Slimline and non-Slimline besides the slimness?
weight and flexibility

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:24 am

My slimline hose broke next to the connection after just 102 days use, but my DME said ResMed sent a few to replace defective ones they had made. I got a free replacement. I think it's a little stiffer than the original. Probably not buying Rescue tape--horribly expensive! I am reinforcing the joint with a few inches of vetwrap--same thing as stick-to-itself stretchy sport bandage, but much cheaper at equine supplier than at Walgreen's.

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:06 pm

Ah ha! Another who has found the value of Vet Wrap. Our blood draw lab gets a big kick out of my calling it Vet Wrap, especially when I told them I could get prettier color Vet Wrap cheaper than they were paying for that ugly ole brown wrap they used. Now they use the brightly colored wrap too. They said the colors are a source of delight for the young kids they have to "stick" and the bright colors quickly take their mind off the memory of the blood draw. The kids get to pick their own color.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:45 am

Another question: does anyone know the difference between Rescue Tape and X-Treme Tape? --besides price?