sleepweaver trial

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
houltkin

sleepweaver trial

Post by houltkin » Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:39 am

If you have been following any of my posts, you will know that I am new to cpap (1 month) and have had serious itchy nose issues. I've tried comfort gel, profile lite, opus 360, and numerous creams and gels to stop the itching.

I was ready to throw in the towel (and the whole machine). My DME gave me a profile lite because the nose piece is made out of poly-something and not silicone, just in case it's an allergy issue. Haven't tried it except for one night on ambien - and I can get through ANYTHING on ambien.

On the sly, I ordered a sleepweaver and got it yesterday. At first, I couldn't believe anyone could get a seal out of it, so I played with it for an hour or so and gave up. I resumed playing with it before bed and was surprised to lock in a seal, so I tried it for a while.

A few notes:
The air is very cold inside the mask (probably because I did not have my heated humidifier turned on), so I pulled the covers up over the mask.

The venting is a bit noisy at a pressure of 12.

After one hour of use, I found that the seam under the nose was digging in and causing a lot of pain. It actually felt sharp. I got up and looked in the mirror and also saw that I had deep creases in both cheeks from the tightening of the mask to avoid leaking.

On the plus side, there is nothing but a cushion of air around the nose, which feels great (except for that under-nose seam). The mask is soft enough to sleep on, which makes it very comfortable. I'm going to keep trying, as I bought the insurance (thru cpap.com) and I can return it if necessary. I was despirate so I thought it was worth a try.

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): humidifier, cpap.com, CPAP, DME, seal

bap40

Post by bap40 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:57 am

Let us know how it goes! A few people have tried this mask with not too much luck.
Brooke

houltkin

sleepweaver

Post by houltkin » Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:31 am

I gathered from the previous posts that the mask is very individualized. So many faces, so few styles!

houltkin

sleepweaver 2008 review

Post by houltkin » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:28 am

After essentially throwing in the towel on all other masks I have tried, I ordered the sleepweaver. I am a side sleeper, never comfortable on my back, so it looked like a comfortable option.

This mask is not for the feint of heart or for those who have found another alternative along the lines of DME supplied conventional gear, which I believe most of you have.

As previous reviewers have found over the past couple of years, the product is pricey, and it is difficult to find that elusive seal that is necessary for full cpap benefit. There is a movie clip on the circadiance.com web site that helps, but is not the final answer. I'm hoping that their R&D lab comes up with a better product eventually.

HOWEVER, I have made it through four sleep periods without waking up with an intensely itchy nose and upper lip. That in itself is enough for me to keep it. I was very comfortable sleeping on it without even thinking about it being a cpap mask.

When I lay down to sleep, I never know if getting the mask seated properly will take one or two adjustments or 5 minutes of tugging and strapping. I do believe that once I get an experienced feel for what works, it will become easier each time I put it on or roll to a new position at night. Small leaks are really easy to fix if they are just on one side because when you lay on that side of your face, voilla! it's sealed.

So if anyone else out there is out-of-their-mind despirate, this one is worth a try.

Thank you all for being there. Your support through my first month has been better than any medical practitioner in my world.

beemer

Re: sleepweaver trial

Post by beemer » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:31 pm

Houltkin,

Can you keep me posted on your continual progress with the Sleepweaver? I also suffer from the weird itchy nose syndrome.

Thanks,

Beemer

brazospearl

Post by brazospearl » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:40 pm

Beemer, I've used the Sleepweaver and loved it. It was my first mask, and I think it really helped me adjust to sleeping with all the stuff connected to my head. It's soft and light and flexible. Two problems, though. The first is that I couldn't get the leak rate to an acceptable level (which might be due to mouthbreathing) and the second is that when my nose got stuffy from a bronchial infection I had to switch to a mask that allows intake through the mouth. The Sleepweaver's worth a try, though!

salmonberry11

Post by salmonberry11 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:43 am

beemer wrote:Houltkin,

Can you keep me posted on your continual progress with the Sleepweaver? I also suffer from the weird itchy nose syndrome.

Thanks,

Beemer
It's been 2 years and my nose still itches several times per night. It doesn't matter what I use. I have found that I get the best satisfaction by just lifting the mask (whatever I'm using at the time) and scratch my nose. I probably have to do this 4-5 times before I get to sleep and a couple times during the night. I mostly use another mask now, but occasionally use sleepweaver which just wore out last week. The fabric deteriorated and ripped. I may buy another one. Good luck with the itchy nose, it's not going away, but I still use the CPAP every night.
houltkin

qq303884361

Post by qq303884361 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:20 pm

I'm sorry to hear about your struggles with CPAP therapy and itchy nose issues. It sounds like you've tried various masks and remedies, but the comfort still isn't there. The SleepWeaver seems like a promising alternative, especially with its softness and air cushion around the nose. The cold air issue might be resolved with the heated humidifier. As for the seam under the nose and the noise at higher pressure, these are common concerns with different masks. It's great that you have the option to return it if necessary. Keep experimenting with adjustments to find the best fit. Don't give up, finding the right mask can make a huge difference in your therapy. Good luck!
Last edited by qq303884361 on Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.