Important Medical Question

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
rise&shiner

Important Medical Question

Post by rise&shiner » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:48 am

I have developed like overnight hypertension bp is averaging 166/102 This is unusual because it came on suddenly. Even though I am overweight I have good HDL and LDL levels, I am not a diabetic, I eat a low soduim, low fat diet, have plenty of vegetables could do better on fruits, I don't drink alcohol. and have never smoked, I don't eat candy or ice cream, do not drink alot of coffee (1 cup a day) drink 4 cans of caffinated diet soda a day and have been working on my carbohydrates but eat carbs with high fiber and take 2 tbl of flex seed everyday. 2 months ago stared doing exercises in water such as resistance walking.
So here's my question has anyone developed hypertension pulminary disease because of their OSA or have their pressure changed becuase of high blood pressure.

Thanks for reading,,, opoen to all comments

wil

Re: Important Medical Question

Post by wil » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:55 am

My blood pressure got remarkably better as soon as I started using aPap.

155/105 - before treatment (February)
135/85 - after starting aPap (February)
125/80 - after quit smoking (March)
110/65 - after starting to eat right and exercising 30 minutes or more daily (Today)

Nord

Post by Nord » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:32 pm

I believe that popular opinion and some studies found that generally the opposite is true...
Lack of sleep and lack of rested sleep increases BP.

I have had a reduction in BP myself when therapy is working well.
I also found that when I started Melatonin to help my Sleep Architecture...
missing Stage 3 and REM sleep...
That was another reduction in BP that was immediate.
Perhaps the stress of CPAP added to your mix...

Nord

sonyat

Post by sonyat » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:21 pm

The night I had my CPAP titration I went to bed with a blood pressure of 135/80 and woke up the next morning with 120/70. The less I sleep the higher my blood pressure goes. Also your blood pressure can go higher just on a really stressful day. I've sat quietly and breathed slowly after a high reading, then taken it again, and it will be much lower.

jnk

Post by jnk » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:07 pm

rise&shiner wrote: . . . This is unusual because it came on suddenly. . . .
In my opinion, those eight words often mean, "I should call my doctor." Might be no big deal. But still. After all, BP is generally considered a vital sign, right?

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:11 pm

I think you need to sort something out with your MD. Do you "just" have high blood pressure, or do you have pulmonary hypertension? The latter is not the same thing as 'regular' hypertension - it is more serious - and you need to ask questions to understand what's going on.

rise&shiner

Post by rise&shiner » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:04 pm

My blood pressure is averaging 164/102 and has been like this for just the past 10 days before that my bllod pressure was 134/86 for the past several years. My primary physcian, my cardiologist and arfe going to converse with the pulminologist this next week to see if a) have anew sleep study done where they can also check to see if I have indicatorrs for pulminary hypertension. But when I had the heart stress test there was a possiboity that I have artery blockage so I am scheduled this week for a ct
angigram. Here I thought when I was finally diagnosed with sleep apenea it was the beginning of a more productive life, I haven't been tired, have sleep really well and I have been 100% compliant since being diagnosed last September.

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:25 am

They Dx'd my pulmonary hypertension via an Echocardiogram and then monitor it that way as well. In fact, just had one again yesterday. Evidently it hasn't progressed to where any other monitoring method is necessary.

But then I don't have high blood pressure either - unless I am drastically short of breath from my COPD. Then it can shoot up a bit but drops right back down as soon as my 02 levels improve, less than 2-3 minutes. I don't remember my diastolic pressure ever being in the 90s even when I am REALLY SOB and in the mid 70s 02 saturation. I remember ONCE my systolic was 173 but the diastolic was 87. Other than that, even at just 90% 02 level, my BP doesn't run higher than the 120s over 70s.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.