Filter issues

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
srwesely

Filter issues

Post by srwesely » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:00 am

Does anyone have any suggestions for keeping the little filter/sponge contraption from popping out of my cpap machine when in use? Last night it popped out and landed on the floor...therefore no filtering going on! I'm thinking tape around the edges to hold it in--yes? no? It's a little white white thing about 1 inch by 2 inches that sticks in a little rectangular hole on the back of the machine and that is covered by a little 1/4 inch gray sponge. I've recently changed it, so I don't think it's dirty already.

guest2

Re: Filter issues

Post by guest2 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:08 am

There should be little notches that hold them in. Notice when you tuck them in carefully.

djr1215

Post by djr1215 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:34 am

Does your little white filter have a tab on it? Put that to the bottom and then put the gray filter over it. Mine was put in first with the tab at the top and kept coming out and I finally put it in the other way and now it stays.

srwesely

Post by srwesely » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:37 pm

Yes it does have the tab and yes, I was told to put the tab at the top also. I'll try it the other way tonight. Also--the side that feels kind of plastic and looks waffle-y (sorry about the description terms here--technical has never been my strong suit), that's the side that goes next to the machine, right? Just thought I'd better check that also.

headbored

Post by headbored » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:42 pm

Yes the rough side goes toward the machine.I usually fold the little tab 90 degrees before inserting into the machine and never had a problem.

blakepro

Post by blakepro » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:47 pm

Or if you are really having issues, cut the tab off. It will be harder to get it out later, but at least it wont press the filter out any more.

Hawthorne

Post by Hawthorne » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:59 pm

Folding the little tab on the white filter down does help it to stay in better BUT, you have to be careful when cleaning the machine. I had the little cloth I use catch on the filter and pull it half out. I didn't notice it for several days. Now I check the filters every night to be sure they are all the way in.

The old "classic" Remstars had a cover or cap for the filter. When the M Series came out, there was no cover. Respironics, very soon, made a cap available (the whisper cap), for a price. It may have been made because of this same problem.

Maybe they will have to do it again for the PR System Ones. If they do, I hope it will be smaller and easier to put on than the M Series Whisper cap was.

Additional Comments:  Backups- FX Nano masks. Backup machine- Airmini auto travel cpap

srwesely

Post by srwesely » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:21 am

It worked to put the tab at the bottom. Thanks!

wil

Post by wil » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:49 am

Just a thought... Unless you live in an certain areas with low air quality, or you're highly susceptible to airborne particles, then you need not use the white filter, as the black sponge does a pretty good job on its own... I only use them during pollen season.

blakepro

Post by blakepro » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:52 pm

wil wrote:Just a thought... Unless you live in an certain areas with low air quality, or you're highly susceptible to airborne particles, then you need not use the white filter, as the black sponge does a pretty good job on its own... I only use them during pollen season.
My motivation for the filters equally rests with not only not wanting that stuff in my sinuses, but also in trying to keep the inside of my machine as clean as possible.

xyz

Post by xyz » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:09 pm

> you need not use the white filter

This is not good advice, for multiple reasons, and should be ignored.

First, there are people who do not know (yet) that they have allergies.

Second, (independent of allergies) the white filter filters dust out of the air. Everyone benefits from breathing cleaner air. This is a no-brainer.

Third, if you travel at all, you sometimes end up sleeping at places that may not have the same level of cleanliness that home does, e.g., some hotel room.

I'm sure that others can think of additional reasons why that was bad advice.

> the black sponge does a pretty good job on its own

The foam filter only keeps large particles out. But it's still good to use it. There's no good argument _not_ to use it, since it's so easy. Rinse it out well once a week and let it dry completely before putting it back in.

srwesely

Post by srwesely » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:51 am

It's 2:40 a.m. Dang--is that my filter thingies on the floor again? maybe they are trying to get out the door...I'm beginning to think duct tape! Scotch, anyway...the tape, not the drink. Sigh. (as far as I can tell, the ridges I found on the bottom of the opening don't do a darn thing--thought maybe the tab was supposed to catch in them, but the tab is wider than the ridges. maybe cutting the tab down a little would work). Double sigh.

ilvsleep

Post by ilvsleep » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:46 am

I took off my foam filter and ther is NO white filter behind it!! I asked the RT at the DME if I have 2 filters and he said NO!!

Hawthorne

Post by Hawthorne » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:56 am

Not everyone uses the whte filters. They are "extras" so may not be included when you get your machine. Some DMEs will be generous and include a couple.

They are just an added filter, used mainly by people with allergies.

Additional Comments:  Backups- FX Nano masks. Backup machine- Airmini auto travel cpap