Capsaicin Nasal Spray

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
roster

Capsaicin Nasal Spray

Post by roster » Sun May 23, 2010 12:35 pm

Has anyone tried this or have access to information on the safety of capsaicin?

https://www.sinusbuster.com/sinus-buste ... age=page-1

https://www.sinusbuster.com/clinicaltrials.doc

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

pdean44

Re: Capsaicin Nasal Spray

Post by pdean44 » Sun May 23, 2010 1:11 pm

it sounds promising.

"Things turn out the best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out"
-- JOHN WOODEN --

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Sun May 23, 2010 6:15 pm

Oh it works...'burned' the hel# outta my nostril right up to my brain. I was dancing around the room in agony with tears running down my face for at least a decade . Didn't keep me uncongested all that long either...haven't worked up the courage to try it again and that 1 stray was yrs ago. A bit of sting?

Now to be honest..this was MY experience and the older I get the more sensitive to capsaicin I've become. Way back when, I used to eat firey hot stuff all the time...not now!

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

WearyOne

Post by WearyOne » Sun May 23, 2010 6:27 pm

I once used capsaicin cream on my hand for something (can't remember what). Once and only once. I put very little on and it burned worse that anything for about four hours. Granted, that was my hand, but I'm thinking my nose's reaction would probably be worse.

roster

Post by roster » Sun May 23, 2010 7:11 pm

Wow ladies! That was what I was afraid of. Although one FB friend uses it and is very happy with it.

Since I made the OP, my neighbor who is a cpaptalk active member, brought me a bottle of Sinus Buster (Capsaicin) and Allergy Buster (Capsaicin and nettle). After he bought them he thought again and became afraid to open the bottles. He is following this post and will be glad he gave them to me. Neighbor, I am going to spray them on the azaleas to keep the deer off.

Thanks for the comments, I won't try them.

I guess if they were made by Big Pharma, I could try them and get a few million $ if there was a reaction.

Muse, I will be in Atlanta Wed-Fri. How is the Omni? I haven't stayed downtown in years.

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Sun May 23, 2010 7:41 pm

roster wrote:...Muse, I will be in Atlanta Wed-Fri. How is the Omni? I haven't stayed downtown in years.
It's got a good rep; I've never been there. During Dragon*con I've stayed once at the Westin Peachtree but it's long block away so I/we stay at the Hyatt Regency right at the center of the action. The Westin is still replacing windows from the tornado a few yrs ago, lotta windows blown out, glass all over the area, it's so tall. As usual, if ya haven't been downtown in a while, it's changed...again.

PS SinusBusters was a small startup (unless they sold it) when I bought mine. Shame it was when I was already well into my avoid capsaicin phase; think it might've worked if I had no yet gotten so sensitized.

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

tomjax2

Post by tomjax2 » Sun May 23, 2010 9:12 pm

This reminds me of an incident when I was working at an all night pharmacy.
About midnight a lady with a young daughter brought in a rx ofr zostrix(capsacian?)- normally used for arthritis.
I am glad I had the time to further question them after filling it.
She described an acute outbreak of genital herpes.

The er doc evidently got Zostrix confused with zovirAX.
I cannot imagine what would have happened if I had not intervened.
It would not have been pretty.

Speaking of strange things that can happen in an all night pharmacy, I had another call about 3AM from a very anxious young lady asking if we had pregnancy tests and if they were accurate,
I assured he we did and that they were accurate.
In about 10 minutes she came in very relieved and I showed her one and told her to follow the directions.
She then asked how long it would be to find out after being to exposed.
I then explained that the longer from her last missed period, the more accurate it would be.

She was very disappointed acting and I asked her jusy how long it had been since she was exposed.

She said, "about 10 O'clock"

I explained this would not help her at all at this time.
I do not have the rest of this story.

I got MANY more tales of pills and people.

terrydk

Post by terrydk » Mon May 24, 2010 8:41 am

Muse-Inc wrote:Oh it works...'burned' the hel# outta my nostril right up to my brain. I was dancing around the room in agony with tears running down my face for at least a decade . Didn't keep me uncongested all that long either...haven't worked up the courage to try it again and that 1 stray was yrs ago. A bit of sting?

Now to be honest..this was MY experience and the older I get the more sensitive to capsaicin I've become. Way back when, I used to eat firey hot stuff all the time...not now!
Since I have a had a couple of instances of Rhinitis Medicamentosa (nasal spray rebound or addiction) I tried it and ditto that...it burns like h___ Getting a prescription of prednisone to get unhooked wasn't fun either.

What I have done, and this is what I did to get 'unhooked' the last time is dilute to 1/2 strength the Vicks VapoSpray. To me it wasn't as potent but still as effective as some of the other brands like AFRIN. Stay away from the 12 & 24 hour sprays if at all possible as they can be very addictive. The Vicks spray is a .5% of phenylephrine so mixing it with equal parts of saline solution I get a .25% mix which I use one shot in each side right before retiring each night so I can breath clearly through my nose. I think the Vicks vapors really help to clear things up.

WearyOne

Post by WearyOne » Mon May 24, 2010 8:46 am

terrydk wrote: Since I have a had a couple of instances of Rhinitis Medicamentosa (nasal spray rebound or addiction) I tried it and ditto that...it burns like h___ Getting a prescription of prednisone to get unhooked wasn't fun either.

What I have done, and this is what I did to get 'unhooked' the last time is dilute to 1/2 strength the Vicks VapoSpray. To me it wasn't as potent but still as effective as some of the other brands like AFRIN. Stay away from the 12 & 24 hour sprays if at all possible as they can be very addictive. The Vicks spray is a .5% of phenylephrine so mixing it with equal parts of saline solution I get a .25% mix which I use one shot in each side right before retiring each night so I can breath clearly through my nose. I think the Vicks vapors really help to clear things up.
I agree, the Vick's vapors can really help. In the past when I was dealing with nose congestion, I would put some Vick's vapor rub on the outside of my nose before going to sleep, but obviously can't do that now.

I have used 4Way in the past and always used the four-hour version. These things work SO well, it's a shame they have that horrible rebound thing going on.

tattooyu

Post by tattooyu » Mon May 24, 2010 3:31 pm

Capsaicin nasal spray? Seriously? You could shove yellowjackets up your nose too, but that wouldn't feel too good either...

Sleep well and live better!

Jersey Girl

Post by Jersey Girl » Mon May 24, 2010 3:56 pm

I use Flonase during the day and Astepro prescription nasal spray before bed. The Astepro has a touch of antihistimine in it. When I had a really bad sinus infection, a dear friend on the forum suggested that I put some vics on a cottonball and put the cottonball on a piece of aluminum foil somehwhat near my air intake behind my s8. It was lovely. I got the vics smell right through the hose and a little relief too!

That capsaicin sounds terrible. Don't think I would like to try it.

Happiness is from the heart out, not the world in.

bearded_two

Post by bearded_two » Mon May 24, 2010 4:12 pm

I smeared capsaicin on an aching shoulder one time -- as the label directed. It worked great; the burning really took my mind off of the aching. I tried washing it off; it wouldn't wash off, it would just spread. I could not imagine getting that stuff on or in sensitive areas of the body.

bilnap

Post by bilnap » Mon May 24, 2010 9:20 pm

Get a saline nasal spray. Remove the top and add 2 drops of Peppermint oil and shake the bottle. Spray into your nostrils and grab your tissue, you will start the drainage almost immediately.
Bill

Post by Guest » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:20 pm

I use capsaicin nasal spray 4-5 times a day. The nasal spray is noways near as potent as the topical version. It doesn't burn as bad as you would think either. Now, it might sting a bit the first time you use it, if so just use it again in about 10-15 seconds, and it should desensitize you to it. After using it for a period of time, you become completely desensitized naturally. I highly recommend this product to anyone I know that could benefit from it. And I highly encourage anyone for whom it was recommended to gain the courage to try it.

ThatMaskedMan

Post by ThatMaskedMan » Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:01 am

Hi roster,
Nothing to add, except that I live 9 miles from the headquarters of Sicap, LLC, the makers of Sinus Busters. I recall reading in the local paper some human interest story about the local inventor who made good.