Newbie - Falling Asleep Problems

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
kbernard1977

Newbie - Falling Asleep Problems

Post by kbernard1977 » Thu May 06, 2010 6:09 am

Hi everyone. I recently got put on a CPAP, didn't like the full face mask (I couldn't even sleep one night with it) then went to a nasal mask. I fell asleep fine Monday, but Tuesday and Wednesday night after 2 hours I had to take it off because I couldn't fall asleep.
Does anyone have any suggestions on falling asleep with it on while getting used to it. May be a dumb question, but any advice would help.
Thanks so much!

Paul56

Re: Newbie - Falling Asleep Problems

Post by Paul56 » Thu May 06, 2010 6:46 am

Hi, it takes time to get used to using the equipment so don't beat yourself up too much in
the early days as you make the adjustment.

Try not to think about the whole thing negatively, but rather in a positive manner and consider
all that extra oxygen you will be getting to make your sleeping more restful.

The first time I work a mask my immediate though was... "wow... I'm lovin' all this extra air...
now I can breathe!!!" However, despite that I still had some adjustment of about a coupla
months to go through.

Specifically, what do you think was keeping you awake?

pdean44

Post by pdean44 » Thu May 06, 2010 6:50 am

One thing that helps is to make sure you have enough ramp time on your machine until you become accustomed to the mask and pressure. As i grew more comfortable i slowly reduced the ramp time. Until i did not use ramp in the end. I prefer not to ramp because then i can make sure i dont have any mask leaks. I take some melatonin that helps me to fall asleep. Try to make sure you are as comfortable as possible you may need to get some of the pillows that prevent you from jarring your mask loose when you are sleeping. for me it just took time o get used to the gear on my face. The first week i really struggled. As long as it is not hurting you it should get better over time. I wish you a lot of luck and restful sleep.

"Things turn out the best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out"
-- JOHN WOODEN --

kbernard1977

Post by kbernard1977 » Thu May 06, 2010 7:03 am

Thanks ya'll. I'm thinking of trying a small dose of a sleep aid until I get comfortable with it. I can tell it helps, even during the day, with my breathing.

pdean44

Post by pdean44 » Thu May 06, 2010 9:10 am

Be careful on what sleep aids you use. Some have their own host of counter productive issues.

"Things turn out the best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out"
-- JOHN WOODEN --

RLAUREN

Post by RLAUREN » Thu May 06, 2010 10:10 am

What works for me, is my mp3 player and earbuds. Selection of music is very important. Focus on the music. Listen to every bit of it. Soon the mask and noise and all the negatives will be pushed to the back. Continue to focus on the music, rest every muscle in your body. Here comes the sleep. See you in the morning,

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Thu May 06, 2010 12:06 pm

When I have trouble falling asleep I use an MP3 player too. Whatever is calm, soothing, or perhaps boring will work as white noise to relax you and help you sleep. You can download specific relaxation music, sounds, and instruction for as little as 99 cents. Since I sleep on my side, I usually have only one earbud in the top ear, and I invested (not too much) in a good pair with different sized silicone buds that don't hurt my ears like the iPod earbuds (one size fits nobody???).

I listen to free podcasts and usually fall asleep. If it's something I'm interested in, I know I can always go back in the daytime and listen to the whole thing, so I don't worry if I do fall asleep. (I listen to these podcasts during the day when I clean house, too ). Sometimes the podcasts become incorporated in my dreams and it can be pretty weird, but at least I'm sleeping.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

kteague

Post by kteague » Thu May 06, 2010 12:59 pm

Hopefully familiarity will resolve this for you. As was already mentioned, any specific feelings you are aware of could be using in pinpointing possible helpful hints. Do you feel short of breath, or just generally can't fall asleep? Do you always have trouble falling asleep or is this new with the treatment?

If you have a demanding daytime schedule, forcing the issue can be impractical. Unfortunately your already resistant brain is getting the message that if it protests long enough it will get its way. If you've got a couple days coming up that you could safely handle it, you could try looking at the night as a time to rest, without pressure to sleep. then get up in the morning whether you've slept much or not, be very active, and refrain from a nap. Hopefully by the next evening the exhaustion, evening calming attempts, and maybe a sleep aid will overrule the unfamiliar sensations. Some use melatonin. I did for a while, but I couldn't take the 3 mg dose some take. I took the 3 mcg then went up to 1 mg.

Hope your adjustment comes as quickly as possible.