I'm Sold On The Swift Fx !

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
The Dreamer

I'm Sold On The Swift Fx !

Post by The Dreamer » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:44 pm

I’ve been using the Mirage Activa ever since it came out, and to me it’s the best mask of all the ones I’ve ever used. That is until yesterday, I got a Swift FX and last night I tried it out, it’s like you don’t even have anything on your face at all. I am also using the Respironics 6’ Foot Performance Tubing that came with my PR System One Auto. The Swift FX and the tubing together sure makes for a much lighter set up.

Below in red is what Resmed says About the Swift FX, And they are telling the truth it sure does what they say.

Ultra-Quiet The exhalation ports are located on the frame, not on the cushion, allowing air to disperse gently outward and away from the user. This improvement has dampened audible motor whine and airflow noise. Sound levels have been reduced to only 25 decibels at the mask.

Ron

Marietjie

Re: I'm Sold On The Swift Fx !

Post by Marietjie » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:39 am

The Dreamer wrote:I got a Swift FX and last night I tried it out, it’s like you don’t even have anything on your face at al...
You have confinced me to check this out! What I can see from the pics is that the tube comes down in the front and there is not
a clip that can hold it up in front of your face? Are you comfortable with that?
ImageImage

dave21

Post by dave21 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:22 am

Unlike with the swift II which had a neoprene strap fixed with velcro that allowed you to fasten the hose up on one side of the head to the head straps, the Swift FX doesn't have this. There's no reason why you couldn't create something by cutting up an old mask strap that you don't use and stitching some velcro to it.

The Dreamer

Post by The Dreamer » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:26 am

Marietjie wrote:
The Dreamer wrote:I got a Swift FX and last night I tried it out, it’s like you don’t even have anything on your face at al...
You have confinced me to check this out! What I can see from the pics is that the tube comes down in the front and there is not
a clip that can hold it up in front of your face? Are you comfortable with that?
ImageImage
You are right about the pics, the tube does comes down in the front, and there is no clip to hold it up in front of your face. And I am very comfortable with that. You can't tell by the pics, but the hose is a lot smaller in diameter than a cpap hose.

The way the headgear is setup the nasal pillows stay in place really well, even when I roll from side to side they don't leak at all. You would think that when you pull or tug on the hose that it would pull the pillows away from your nose and make them leak but it don't. I have used the swift Fx for 2 nights now and have had no trouble at all, they are very nice.

Ron

Marietjie

Post by Marietjie » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:17 am

Marietjie wrote:
You have confinced...(sorry! convinced - that's my Afrikaans English!!!)
The Dreamer wrote:You would think that when you pull or tug on the hose that it would pull the pillows ...
That is what I was worried about - Ron, thanks for your reply. Good Day

magicland

Post by magicland » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:23 am

The first night I used my Swift FX, every time I moved, it leaked. After readjusting the fit, it worked fine without leaking, no matter what position I slept in. Of course, your mileage may vary, but if at first it doesn't work for you, adjust!

Doodeedoo

Post by Doodeedoo » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:48 am

I tried the Swift FX for almost three weeks and I just couldn't get it to work for me; the leaks never stopped no matter the adjustments trying to fit it. I finally gave it up and went back to my old Swift LT wich is not as comfortable but has no leaks.

I believe the FX might have a design flaw. The strap tends to push the pillows together taking them off the nares. Depending on the shape of your nose, it either works very well or does not work at all. With the LT this does not happen.

Fortunately the DME I bought it from has a 30-day exchange policy and gave me a new LT.

With respect to the part that joins the short tube to the pillows, I always found it fragile and was afraid of disassembling it for cleaning purposes as I usually do once a week. I thought that taking it off could reap the pillows.

David

Marietjie

Post by Marietjie » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:26 pm

Doodeedoo wrote:Fortunately the DME I bought it from has a 30-day exchange policy and gave me a new LT.
Doodeedoo wrote:Depending on the shape of your nose
It is true that all masks do not work well for everyone - my plan is to borrow the SwiftFX and try it out.

dave21

Post by dave21 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:42 pm

Doodeedoo wrote:I tried the Swift FX for almost three weeks and I just couldn't get it to work for me; the leaks never stopped no matter the adjustments trying to fit it. I finally gave it up and went back to my old Swift LT wich is not as comfortable but has no leaks.

I believe the FX might have a design flaw. The strap tends to push the pillows together taking them off the nares. Depending on the shape of your nose, it either works very well or does not work at all. With the LT this does not happen.
I found for me that the back (blue) strap although it was supposed to be somewhat loose, I would have to tighten quite a bit. That had the effect of having it slide up my head whilst I was laying and would roll my head around on the pillow which in-turn had it loosen the pillows from my nose. When wearing it I do remember myself being awake and re-moving the strap back down my head again. I almost wish it would come with a normal headset but know due to the lightweight design that it would be difficult to do this.

The Dreamer

Post by The Dreamer » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:07 am

Marietjie wrote:
Doodeedoo wrote:Fortunately the DME I bought it from has a 30-day exchange policy and gave me a new LT.
Doodeedoo wrote:Depending on the shape of your nose
It is true that all masks do not work well for everyone - my plan is to borrow the SwiftFX and try it out.
This has been true in my case, not all masks work well for everyone. I have found that if I adjust the head gear just as they say, the Swift Fx works grate for me. I've used it for three nights now and have no trouble at all, and no leaks! and I feel better than I have in a long time.