How do you afford so many masks?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Country4ever

How do you afford so many masks?

Post by Country4ever » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:55 am

I know alot of you have tried many masks. I would like to do that, but my insurance has a very high deductible and masks are pretty expensive. Just curious how you pay for them all. Do you just have really good insurance that covers them, or do you make your own?
I'm allowed 1 mask a year and if I haven't met my deductible, I still have to pay for most of it.

BleepingBeauty

Re: How do you afford so many masks?

Post by BleepingBeauty » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:02 am

Country4ever wrote:I know alot of you have tried many masks. I would like to do that, but my insurance has a very high deductible and masks are pretty expensive. Just curious how you pay for them all. Do you just have really good insurance that covers them, or do you make your own?
I'm allowed 1 mask a year and if I haven't met my deductible, I still have to pay for most of it.
There are lots of options, Country. Many of us buy masks on the auction (http://www.cpapauction.com - like ebay for xpap) for much less than they cost online (or especially from the DME). Sometimes, people here on the forum trade one mask for another. Or you can search sites like Amazon and CraigsList for good deals on masks.

Most insurance policies seem to allow a new mask every six months. But if you're not having luck with whatever mask you currently have, six months (or for you, a year) is way too long to wait for an alternative, so other options need to be explored.

HTH
Veni, vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Dx 11/07: AHI 107, central apnea, Cheyne Stokes respiration, moderate-severe O2 desats. (Simple OSA would be too easy. ;))

PR S1 ASV 950, DreamWear mask, F&P 150 humidifier, O2 @ 2L.

KatieW

Post by KatieW » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:10 am

I have bought slightly used masks even cheaper, on cpapauction.com. Then just picked up a new mask cushion on ebay or amazon.com.

dave21

Post by dave21 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:16 am

In the UK I have to pay for all my treatment including masks. Most manufacturers say you should change your masks once every 6 months and some sooner, but personally I've found that the masks are still perfectly usable if you take care over them and wash them every now and again and are still functioning well a year later.

As of yet I've never had any of my Activa masks break, they're really sturdy masks so I only purchase a new one when the head gear gets a bit tired looking.

magicland

Post by magicland » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:20 am

Auctions and Craigslist help. I picked up a brand new Swift FX being auctioned for half what ResMed is forcing everyone to sell it for. My insurance doesn't cover CPAP at all (had to fight with them to pay for my sleep study), so it's definitely do-able. Also check people you know who might also use CPAP machines (you might be surprised how many do), they might have used or extra masks they're willing to give you. That's how I got my Swift LT (new) and original CPAP machine (used). My current machine I also picked up at auction.

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:49 am

I did lots of research before I started my therapy and started out with the very same mask I'm still using five years later. I purchased several backup/replacement masks and seals (all the same kind) and have them stashed away for when they're needed, but I'm still using the very first one.
My suggestion to users is to do lots of research up front and it should save them money over the long-run......instead of going "eenie, meenie, minie moe".

PS. I also want to note that other than the initial purchases in early 2005, I've never asked my insurance to pay for any of my extra equipment or parts......it's all been out-of-pocket.

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

dave21

Post by dave21 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:01 am

I know a couple of people that go through Respironics masks 3 or 4 a year (they keep breaking) and I had one break on me in the early days, but the Activa is built like a reinforced concrete wall

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:13 am

dave21 wrote:I know a couple of people that go through Respironics masks 3 or 4 a year (they keep breaking) and I had one break on me in the early days, but the Activa is built like a reinforced concrete wall
You're talking about two different manufacturers. ResMed makes much better masks and the parts are replaceable. I was only able to tolerate a Respironics Comfortfull 2 mask for three nights before giving up from the pain it created in my lower lip/chin area. I have read where Respironics has finally made a better, reinforced ball & socket connection on their masks. (but I'll never try another one)

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

dave21

Post by dave21 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:24 am

Same here, the flimsy ball and socket joint put me off for life. Hopefully they're more stronger now.

bearded_two

Post by bearded_two » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:19 pm

I really like the ComfortGel, even though I have had two of them break over the past six years or so. I bought several of them a while back when an online supplier had a very good sale (I think that they were the old style).

Husky Lover

Post by Husky Lover » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:35 pm

Country4ever wrote:I know alot of you have tried many masks. I would like to do that, but my insurance has a very high deductible and masks are pretty expensive. Just curious how you pay for them all. Do you just have really good insurance that covers them, or do you make your own?
In my case, the local DME has two outlet stores, CPAP2GO which has most all masks on display. They have a 30 day comfort guarantee. I paid for the first mask and had to exchange it twice before I got one model that didn't leak all night. I paid a little more initially but the place is a few miles from my house so the time and convenience factor has great value to me.

That being said, and understand I'm not refering to you but am making a general observation, I'm appalled at all the people that can't seem to get things done unless their insurance pays for it all. I'd say one's health is 1st priority before entertainment, furnishings and fancy transportation. If you have to pay for it yourself, hey, it's your health and your decision!

As a sidebar, I didn't know what CPAP was until a couple years ago. The CPAP2GO sign above the store must look strange to most people looking at it, wouldn't you think? Also, that first P can look like an R if you don't look closely.

Country4ever

Post by Country4ever » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:13 pm

LOL Husky Lover.........I mentioned I was on CPAP on a different type of forum, and a girl asked "What is CRAP?" haha

We have a $6,000 deductible and my husband pays out the wazoo for insurance for his employees at his business, and so I appreciate a little help from the insurance with my cpap stuff.......especially when its so overpriced.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:26 pm

Listen to Husky Lover....Many of us have 'tried' many masks but maybe have not purchased them. Take advantage of the 30 day trial that should be available at your DME. Take home a mask and try it for a week or two...if it doesn't work out exchange it for a different one.

AirBreather

Post by AirBreather » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:22 pm

My local DME supplier has a large assortment of masks that previous customers have tried and returned. They let customers borrow and try any of them for three of four days before deciding which new model to buy. I would ask your supplier whether they have a similar program.

Country4ever

Post by Country4ever » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:32 pm

Nope, my Lincare doesn't do that. In fact, I asked her if I could return some supplies for my mask that I'm changing from, that were never even opened up and she said no.