Question for those with GK420E

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Eleena

Question for those with GK420E

Post by Eleena » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:47 am

I got a new hose and though I typically don't wash it, I thought I should before first using it. I forgot to put the little plugs on the sensor line and I can see water in it. I am afraid to use it now. I don't want to damage my apap. Should I just buy a new one?

Missy

WillSucceed

Re: Question for those with GK420E

Post by WillSucceed » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:18 pm

No, don't run out and buy a new hose. Try the following:

Make sure that your humidifier tank is ABSOLUTELY dry and don't turn on the heater-element under the humidifier.

Attach the WRONG end of the treatment air hose to the humidifier tank. This will necessitate that you have the thin air-pressure sensor tube (the thin tube that you are worried about regarding some water in it) inserted into the humidifier tank when you make the connection between air hose and humidifier tank.

Turn on your 420E... it will rev up and then likely give you an error code pretty quickly as it will recognize that the sensor line is not attached to the little nipple next to the point where the humidifier tank attached to the 420E. It should, however, continue to blow some air.

By turning on the machine, the air that it blows into the humidifier tank will work it's way into the sensor line tube and should help to dry it out.

You will need to stuff something (some waded up paper towel?) into the other end of the treatment air hose, so that the air rushing out of it is blocked. This will help to create more pressure in the humidifier tank which, will create more pressure to help dry out the thin sensor line tube.
Buy a new hat, drink a good wine, treat yourself, and someone you love, to a new bauble, live while you are alive... you never know when the mid-town bus is going to have your name written across its front bumper!

harry33

Post by harry33 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:59 pm

air hoses should be soaked in warm water with mild detergent, suck water into hose, then rinse and drain dry
australian,anxiety and insomnia, a CPAP user since 1995, self diagnosed after years of fatigue, 2 cheap CPAPs and respironics comfortgell nose only mask. not one of my many doctors ever asked me if I snored

Eleena

Post by Eleena » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:09 pm

Thanks WillSucceed. Trying your idea right now. Wish me luck!

Missy

WillSucceed

Post by WillSucceed » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:43 pm

For what it is worth Eleena, I've had my 420E for a little over 5 years now and it has been a great machine. Just be careful to NOT jam the thin sensor tube onto the nipple. Just gently push it on and gently pull it off as needed. The clear tube plastic seals easily when it meets the beige plastic nipple... DON'T push hard.

I was too aggressive with shoving the sensor line onto the nipple and ended up breaking the nipple. I was lucky in that when this happened, it was still under warrenty and was replaced with a new machine.

Otherwise, it has been great!
By the way, do you have the software that lets you analyse the data which the machine collects? If not, send me a PM.

Sleep well!
Buy a new hat, drink a good wine, treat yourself, and someone you love, to a new bauble, live while you are alive... you never know when the mid-town bus is going to have your name written across its front bumper!

Eleena

Post by Eleena » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:52 pm

Thanks Will. I do have the software. It has been a lifesaver as well as this forum.

Missy

tillymarigold

Post by tillymarigold » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:51 pm

I broke mine the same way as WillSucceed, also under warranty, so I got a replacement Sandman Auto instead. I thought they'd stopped selling the 420E, actually.

If I were you, I'd run the machine as straight CPAP for a night or two, that should get the sensor line dried out and prevent it from overcompensating for what it senses as resistance.

WillSucceed

Post by WillSucceed » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:14 pm

Not sure how your solution is going to dry out the sensor line... I still think that blowing some air through the sensor line is the only way to dry it out.

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:34 pm

I did the same thing with my 420E a long time ago... forgot to plug the ends of the sensor line and then flushed the main air hose with water. Was greeted with gurgling and knocking inside the hose when I tried to use the machine later. Water droplets in the sensor line even though the hose had been hanging to dry for several hours. I laid the hose out straight and aimed a handheld hair dryer set on COOL against the long end of the sensor line. As best I recall, 10 minutes or so of "blow drying" dried it out (apparently enough) that there was no gurgling when I hooked it to the machine again. Machine worked fine.
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

Eleena

Post by Eleena » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:47 pm

Got it all dried out. I put it on the machine backwards and ran it for about half an hour. Thanks for the help everyone!

Missy

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:03 pm

Glad to hear you got it dried out, Missy.

Will's suggestion was great!
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435