FULL MASK SUFFOCATION ?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
KMCKOB

FULL MASK SUFFOCATION ?

Post by KMCKOB » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:35 am

Had sleep test with nose mask recently. Started with nose mask, but one nostril 80% blocked and could not
keep mouth closed as instructed.
Then tried face mask which allowed mouth breathing and slept like an angel. Best snooze in years!
Have not heard from doc yet, but wondered what would happen if machine stopped for some reason.
Wouldn't I suffocate???
Thanks,
KMCKOB

ozij

Re: FULL MASK SUFFOCATION ?

Post by ozij » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:39 am

The full face masks have valves that let you breathe room air. The valve is open to the room air, it snaps shut when pessurize air passes it, and opens the minute the pressure stops. No need to worry about suffocation.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

harry33

Post by harry33 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:41 am

if you mean a full face mask that covers nose and mouth, these all have a feature that allows breathing if machine stops
to reassure yourself, turn CPAP off when using it and experience breathing thru this feature
australian,anxiety and insomnia, a CPAP user since 1995, self diagnosed after years of fatigue, 2 cheap CPAPs and respironics comfortgell nose only mask. not one of my many doctors ever asked me if I snored

jmelby

Post by jmelby » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:23 pm

It's likely you'd wake up if the power went out and your machine suddenly stopped, but you'll be just fine in any case.

(yet another Jeff)

carbonman

Post by carbonman » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:29 pm

"If your therapy is improving your health but you're not doing anything
to see or feel those changes, you'll never know what you're capable of."
I said that.

fidelfs

Post by fidelfs » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:32 pm

I don't think any person will be dead of suffocation on their sleep unless they are sick or taking medications.

Our body has trigger mechanisms that will alert your body to wake up, actually that is happening when you are suffocating with the apneas, the body send the signal and you move, change position, etc.

You are doing it right now (waking up when suffocating) that's the reason you are in CPAP therapy and you are not dead, right? so don't worry.

One day my machine lost power and I was able to breath in and out, but I had to make an effort so that was enough to wake me up.