TV Between Your Toes... Do you fall asleep watching?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

Which Bed-time TV-watching regimen best describes yours?

I'm a TV junkie. I turn it on and fall asleep. It's on in the morning when I wake up.
9%
I turn it on when going to bed. Sometimes, I turn it off during the night.
13%
I turn it on, but put the sleep timer on for 'X' minutes.
30%
I don't watch TV when going to bed, but I have one in the bedroom, and watch only before or after bedtime.
22%
I don't have a TV in my bedroom, but I sometimes fall asleep in another room watching TV.
17%
I don't own a TV.
No votes
What's a TV?
4%
I listen to the TV's 'audio' channels for bedtime with the screen blacked out.
4%

Total votes: 23

DreamDiver

TV Between Your Toes... Do you fall asleep watching?

Post by DreamDiver » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:24 pm

A healthy sleep regimen and television - are they compatible?

Okay, admit it - or not. Do you have a TV in your bedroom, and do you watch it as you fall asleep?
Do you put it on sleep timer, or just let it run? We're told it's not good for you, but I wonder.
Some people who live near train tracks have trouble falling asleep if the train doesn't rock their house at 2:00am every night.
Maybe sometimes TV is a lullaby, like that train. What do you think?

By TV, I mean anything from watching DVD's to watching the weather channel. If it involves a screen with something meant to entertain or inform, it counts as 'TV'. This is only about TV in the bedroom and does not apply to TV watching habits you may have in other rooms like the kitchen or the living room, or wherever.

Personally, I prefer old black and white movies, but on a timer for about thirty minutes. (We're both usually out by then.) B/W movies tend to have more contiguous light conditions from scene to scene, less strobing and less violence. A lot of old movies were better lit and better framed than many of today's movies. There are exceptions. Just an opinion...

Last edited by DreamDiver on Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fiberfan

Re: TV Between Your Toes... Do you fall asleep watching?

Post by fiberfan » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:42 pm

Does it count if I occasionally fall asleep watching a DVD on the computer or reading online forums?

riveredge1

Post by riveredge1 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:51 pm

Yup- got a little one and it is on a timer-some times it is soft music station and sometimes a funny sitcom--only happy stuff to float off to la la land with--i tried life with out it and was to quiet and go t tired of hearing myself breath--boring--but breathing-

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:57 pm

fiberfan wrote:Does it count if I occasionally fall asleep watching a DVD on the computer or reading online forums?
MMM... DVD - yes. Screen - infotainment - yes.

BleepingBeauty

Post by BleepingBeauty » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:10 pm

None of the options apply to me, so I didn't vote. I do have a TV in the bedroom, and I put it on a timer for 30 minutes at bedtime, but it's on one of the mellow music stations, and the screen is black. (If I got good reception, I'd use my clock radio, instead.)
Veni, vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Dx 11/07: AHI 107, central apnea, Cheyne Stokes respiration, moderate-severe O2 desats. (Simple OSA would be too easy. ;))

PR S1 ASV 950, DreamWear mask, F&P 150 humidifier, O2 @ 2L.

fidelfs

Post by fidelfs » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:48 pm

I don't have an option.

I always watch TV but I always turned off the TV set before I tried to fall asleep. It is my ritual, I will never fall asleep watching TV.
It just relaxes me, forget about the outside world, problems, etc. When I reach that feeling then I turned off and catch my sleep.

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:08 pm

BleepingBeauty wrote:None of the options apply to me, so I didn't vote. I do have a TV in the bedroom, and I put it on a timer for 30 minutes at bedtime, but it's on one of the mellow music stations, and the screen is black. (If I got good reception, I'd use my clock radio, instead.)
I just added the option and it blanked out everyone's answers! DOH! Please resubmit, everyone.

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:09 pm

fidelfs wrote:I don't have an option.

I always watch TV but I always turned off the TV set before I tried to fall asleep. It is my ritual, I will never fall asleep watching TV.
It just relaxes me, forget about the outside world, problems, etc. When I reach that feeling then I turned off and catch my sleep.
I think you would qualify for the fourth option - before or after bedtime.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:45 pm

I am a T.V. Junky, I wall mounted one in the bedroom on the right wall. I go to bed at 4 A.M. get up at noon most days. Does the T.V. in the bedroom (and my sleep timing) interfere with my treatment. yes to some extent. Nowdays I fall asleep after dinner watching T.V. and miss the middle of some shows, mainly if they don't keep my attention. Sleeping in the chair, makes me sleep less sound at night, but even with this at the worst, my AHI is under 2.0 and I am rested in the daytime. It's how I choose to live I pay the price, I've paid the Dues! Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

kteague

Post by kteague » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:01 am

If I fall asleep in the recliner, the TV watches me till I wake up. when getting in bed, I use the light of the TV to see to put my mask on then flip it off as I'm generally asleep within seconds of hitting the pillow. Granted, by the time I get in bed about anyone would be sleepy.

RLAUREN

Post by RLAUREN » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:15 am

Before start PAP, I used to fall asleep to the History Channel every night. Full Face Masks and loud leaks ruined that for me. Could not fall asleep without the distraction. Out came the Mp3 player and headphones. Works great for me and made the wife happier. She never liked the TV on. Light bothered her.

OutaSync

Post by OutaSync » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:30 am

No option there for me. I watch a lot of TV, but do not have a TV in my bedroom. I could never fall asleep with a TV on or any kind of waxing and waning noise, not even music. I think that is one reason it took me so long to get used to the noise of the CPAP. Adding A Flex or C Flex made it worse.

Sleep Study Titrated to 19 cm H2O
Rotating between Activa and Softgel
11/2/07 RemStar M Series Auto with AFlex 14-17
10/17/08 BiPAP Auto SV 13/13-23, BPM Auto, AHI avg <1

Paul56

Post by Paul56 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:58 am

I doze in front of the TV in the rec room. When I rouse from my semi conscious state I will often drag myself off to bed. Once in bed I seem to fall asleep very quickly.

I'm afraid if I had a TV in the bedroom there would be several nights I would be awake most of the night. Last evening for instance... I was about ready to give up on the TV when I am across a movie I wanted to watch... ~2 hours later I finally drag myself to be.

I'm feeling the late night this morning... but my treatment numbers this morning are excellent.

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:46 am

I've had a 42" plasma in my bedroom for 2 years now and i often fall asleep in front of the TV and I always have done.

In the old days i used to wake up with the black and white fuzz on the TV but nowadays i can use the timer feature.

KatieW

Post by KatieW » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:32 am

No tv in the bedroom, and only watch tv in the living room if it's a movie I want to watch. My addiction is the internet.