anyone know of a quick fix?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
tbas

anyone know of a quick fix?

Post by tbas » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:50 am

I've been having problems lately with rainout (water in the mask?) I can't afford anything expensive, so I need to know if anyone has a quick fix for now, and what should I buy later to help with the problem.

I'm still trying to change my machine from an EscapeII to an AutosetII and no one (doctor or DME) is helping me. Also, I'm in the process of finding a new sleep doctor, because he didn't want to deal with any questions, so he suggested another sleep study. I know my benefits won't cover one, since I just had 2 in Dec. 09 & Jan. 10. Will the data from the AutosetII help a new doctor determine how to help me without a new sleep study?

tbas49

ozij

Re: anyone know of a quick fix?

Post by ozij » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:47 am

tbas wrote:I've been having problems lately with rainout (water in the mask?) I can't afford anything expensive, so I need to know if anyone has a quick fix for now,
Lower the humidifier's lever
Raise room temperature (that may turn out more expensive in the long run.
Buy a hose cover from http://www.padacheeks.com

Some people have succeeded in using a repti cable to warm their hose:
viewtopic.php?p=237606#p237606
and what should I buy later to help with the problem.

I bought a heated hose from http://www.sleepzone.com.au -- 4.5 years ago, that's less than $30 a year -- less than 1 a week -- for something that was a crucial part of my therapy.
I'm still trying to change my machine from an EscapeII to an AutosetII and no one (doctor or DME) is helping me. Also, I'm in the process of finding a new sleep doctor, because he didn't want to deal with any questions, so he suggested another sleep study. I know my benefits won't cover one, since I just had 2 in Dec. 09 & Jan. 10. Will the data from the AutosetII help a new doctor determine how to help me without a new sleep study?
I wouldn't bet on that. Make sure you have all the detailed results of both of your sleep studies -- the new sleep doctor will no doubt want to review those. He/She may not rely too much on the machine's data.

You need the machine's data to trouble-shoot your ongoing therapy. The doctor will want to use the most sophisticated tools at his disposal to come to a diagnosis -- those are different aims.

Good luck.
O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

BleepingBeauty

Post by BleepingBeauty » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:54 am

tbas wrote:I've been having problems lately with rainout (water in the mask?) I can't afford anything expensive, so I need to know if anyone has a quick fix for now, and what should I buy later to help with the problem.

For a rainout quick-fix, many people have used tube socks (with the toe cut off), end-to-end over the hose. You can secure them with rubber bands or string or whatever's handy. Many more purchase a fleece hose cover to do the job (padacheek makes them, and cpap.com also sells a fleece cover), or you can make your own with a sewing machine or a needle and thread. Still others prefer the Aussie heated hose. It's the top-of-the-line solution to rainout and is fairly expensive, so some prefer the "knock-off" version of it and use a reptile heater cable and a dimmer switch. Have a look at Rested Gal's Lab Rat Trophy awards thread for links to these and other xPAP fixes. viewtopic.php?t=15104

Re: data, yes, any full data-reporting machine will let you (and your doctor, if so inclined - mine is not) see what's happening while you're asleep. When you're having a problem with therapy, data will make it much easier to determine what about your therapy needs to be changed. With no data, you're where you are right now, having no idea what's wrong and the doc wanting to do another sleep study (or loaning you an APAP for a week or two, to look at the data).

Go data or go home.
Veni, vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Dx 11/07: AHI 107, central apnea, Cheyne Stokes respiration, moderate-severe O2 desats. (Simple OSA would be too easy. ;))

PR S1 ASV 950, DreamWear mask, F&P 150 humidifier, O2 @ 2L.

janeysmom

Post by janeysmom » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:59 am

I just bought a hose cover to help me with my rainout. I got it through a CPAP direct dealer near me and it is a ResMed hose cover. It cost me $15. Not as comfy as a fleece cover but seemed very reasonable and could get it right away. Been using it for the last two nights and have not experienced any rain out issues.
User since January 2010

GaryG

Post by GaryG » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:13 pm

I use a hosecover. But while I was waiting for it to come, I placed as much of the hose as I can under my blanket, which can act to insulate it just a bit. Give it a try. Its cheap, and it does work somewhat.

tbas

Post by tbas » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:52 am

Thanks to all of you who sent me your advice. I took the suggestion of bleeping beauty and made my own hose cover for now with fleece I cut up from an old jacket. It helped!!!!

tbas49

lmorchard

Post by lmorchard » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:57 pm

GaryG wrote:I use a hosecover. But while I was waiting for it to come, I placed as much of the hose as I can under my blanket, which can act to insulate it just a bit. Give it a try. Its cheap, and it does work somewhat.
I'd second the under-blanket technique. I've tried using various hose-covers, all makeshift / homemade / professionally made, and none have quite managed to cope with Michigan winters and our tendency to turn the heat down at night to save money.

In the end, the best thing that worked for me was to have the CPAP as close to the bed as I can, and to loop the hose under the sheets and comforter with me. I run it down my neck and chest, and back up again. It's a little annoying wrestling with it to get it just so, but I don't toss & turn when I sleep and my body heat keeps the hose warm enough to let me set the humidifier to maximum.