Bacterial & Viral Filters

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
greyhound

Bacterial & Viral Filters

Post by greyhound » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:02 am

Anyone use the in-line bacterial & viral filters (https://www.cpap.com/productpage/In-lin ... bipap.html)? Do you think they're worthwhile?

Babette

Re: Bacterial & Viral Filters

Post by Babette » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:14 am

I used the inline bacterial filter for awhile recently. I was surprised at how fast it got MILDEWED from the humidity in the line. I gave it up. Wasn't happy to be sucking in mildew spores.

Good luck! Your mileage will most likely vary!
B.

I currently have a stash of Nasal Aire II cannulas in Small or Extra Small. Please PM me if you would like them. I'm interested in bartering for something strange and wonderful that I don't currently own. Or a Large size NAII cannula. :)

greyhound

Post by greyhound » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:46 am

Inhaling mildew! That's something I never thought about. I might be better off inhaling any bacteria and viruses in the air.

Maybe that's why cpap.com suggests letting it dry if it appears wet.

Babette

Post by Babette » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:02 pm

What? Me read directions?

I just left it there and every now and then checked it and watched it get darker and greyer.

I'm not fussy about my hose and mask. I just leave them laying on the bed. I don't wash them daily, nor do anything special to "dry them out." They seem fine on their own.

But that inline filter seemed to get damp and gucky.

Of course.... Now... I WAS introducing another variable to the mix. Shhhhhh..... I was putting a few drops of PurSleep aromatherapy oil on it each night. I discovered when switched from the M Series to an older tank model that the machine didn't suck up the scent very well. So the only reason I was even using the Bacterial filter was to re-create an aromatherapy deliver device that I couldn't get anymore.

It was a failed attempt. I firmly believe the grey was mildew and not just oils.

You should do what you feel is best. And do feel free to read directions and follow them. Let me be the horrible warning you don't emulate.

Cheers,
B.
"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." ~Catherine Aird

I currently have a stash of Nasal Aire II cannulas in Small or Extra Small. Please PM me if you would like them. I'm interested in bartering for something strange and wonderful that I don't currently own. Or a Large size NAII cannula. :)

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:40 pm

greyhound wrote:Anyone use the in-line bacterial & viral filters (https://www.cpap.com/productpage/In-lin ... bipap.html)? Do you think they're worthwhile?
No, I don't, and for them to be effective, you'd have to wear them the other 16 - 18 hours a day (when you're awake).......in my opinion.

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

blakepro

Post by blakepro » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:13 pm

I think they work well IF you do not use a humidifier. I don't believe they are meant to be used with a humidifier.

tomjax2

Post by tomjax2 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:58 pm

Questions like this make me scratch my head.

What do all the other people in your house use to filter these bad pathogens 24 hours of every day?

What do you use the other 16 hours of the day?

Just wondering

greyhound

Post by greyhound » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:35 pm

tomjax2 wrote: Just wondering
I saw them on cpap.com's web site. I was just wondering, too.

JohnBFisher

Post by JohnBFisher » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:15 pm

Most people, with a fairly healthy immune system, have no need for this type of filtering. The exception might be if you shared the bed with someone with a really nasty chest infection. But otherwise, the normal coarse and fine filters on the units do an adequate job of minimizing the gunk headed into our lungs. In fact, treatment of obstructive sleep apnea seems to do more (at least for me) to keep my lungs clear than anything else I've done.

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams." from Zdzisław Beksiński