26-year Old Man Dies During Sleep Study

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
MoneyGal

Re: 26-year Old Man Dies During Sleep Study

Post by MoneyGal » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:41 am

Do you think it was a coronary brought on by (or worsened by?) apnea?

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:09 am

I don't remember the other two pictures of him revealing him to be that much overweight. It certainly is a tragedy for him and his family.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

secret agent girl

Post by secret agent girl » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:39 pm

Last edited by secret agent girl on Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

montana user

Post by montana user » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:34 pm

I too would like to know the "whole story" As an EMT who has responded to 100's of calls and as a sleep tech who has called 911 numerous times for my patients, I find it hard to believe anyone just stood by. The first lab I worked in was a private lab. We had 6 beds and 3 techs a night. We had a wide range of staff from Respiratory Therapist, LPN, EMT's and Paramedics. In order to even work here in Montana in a sleep lab you have to have medical background. It does not sound like its that way everywhere though and that is too bad.

I have read some posts that say a monkey can do a sleep study, then I hear that sleep techs should have a license.. So I have to think. Are you saying a licensed monkey should do sleep studies?? In all honesty there is allot to watch for and do doing a sleep study. I wish more labs would allow people to come in and observe or at least do sometime of education. I am trying to get my lab to do more but right now I keep bumping into the HIPPA wall.

I do hope if you have a bad sleep study either with conditions or the way you were treated you report it right away! I work way too hard to let other sleep techs make my profession look bad!

LinkC

Post by LinkC » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:37 pm

The mother wrote: He should not have had blood on him," Lewis said. "He should not have had a knot on his head. He should not have had lacerations [on] his head. He should not have had, what looked like to me, choke marks around his neck. Whatever he died from, he should not have been bruised and injured.
The Medical Examiner wrote: Harris had no visible signs of trauma and that his medical history could have contributed to his death.
Brandon Harris did have other medical problems, which his mother said were all under control with medication, and which the Emory physicians knew were part of his history.

Seems to me someone is...ahem..."mistaken". And probably became so immediately after consulting with an "Ax Gary" lawyer! It would be interesting to see if the hospital video shows "blood", "a knot" and/or "choke marks".

And, in the interest of clarity, NOTHING in the headline is misleading or suggests the man died as a result of the sleep study.

Unlike his passengers who died screaming as the car went over the cliff...

roster

Post by roster » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:16 pm

LinkC wrote:
And, in the interest of clarity, NOTHING in the headline is misleading or suggests the man died as a result of the sleep study.
I went back and read again the quotes from the distraught mother. Even she does not say the death was the result of the sleep study. She does want some answers though.

Information from the coroner:
.... The Fulton County Medical Examiner's office told 11Alive News that Harris had no visible signs of trauma and that his medical history could have contributed to his death. The Medical Examiner did not specify the exact cause of death. .... But the medical examiner did not find evidence of stroke or heart failure in connection with Brandon Harris' death. ....
Full article: http://www.11alive.com/news/local/story ... 86&catid=3
If not stroke or heart failure, then what? I appreciate you guys hashing this around here and it will take some more information before a conclusion can be reached.

I would venture to guess that deaths in a sleep lab are extremely rare. In over four year of regularly reading news and history about "sleep", this is the first one I have heard of. I saw a statistic at viewtopic/t49063/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=49 ... 00#p448800 that says there are 7 million sleep studies conducted every year. Take 7 million man-days and someone will drop dead.

Last edited by roster on Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rooster
I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

roster

Post by roster » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:17 pm

montana user wrote: ....I keep bumping into the HIPPA wall.
Care to expound on that?

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

Autopapdude

Post by Autopapdude » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:19 pm

It is a National Inquirer type of headline. It heavily IMPLIES (big word for you) that the sleep study was connected with his death. Otherwise, it would not have been newsworthy. In addition, you started your sentence with a conjunction. Obviously, you weren't a top student in English (probably an Engineer's S.A.T. of 800/300). lol

roster

Post by roster » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:40 pm

Autopapdude wrote:
It is a National Inquirer type of headline. It heavily IMPLIES (big word for you) that the sleep study was connected with his death. Otherwise, it would not have been newsworthy. In addition, you started your sentence with a conjunction. Obviously, you weren't a top student in English (probably an Engineer's S.A.T. of 800/300). lol
The headline says he died during a sleep study. He apparently did die during a sleep study. If it had said, "Man Dies at Home", would that be implying his home killed him?

It is proper in some cases to start a conjunction with a contraction.
Starting a Sentence With And
In the 1700s it was perfectly acceptable to start sentences with a conjunction. And it is becoming increasingly prevalent again now. But why use a conjunction to start a sentence? There are many advantages:

•It maintains an easy, conversational style.
•It preserves a link between sentences, whilst still delivering in a short, punchy vein. (Great for on-line writing).
•It reduces the need for long, wordy compound sentences.
It is not grammatically incorrect to start a sentence with 'or', 'and' or 'but', and never has been, although it used to be discouraged. Now, thanks to the advent of email, and the proliferation of blogs and other on-line resources, public acceptance is much more forthcoming
http://languagestyle.suite101.com/artic ... and_or_but
No matter what your fifth-grade English teacher says, some grammar "rules" no longer apply. The style mavens of our day all agree that the ability to communicate clearly and concisely takes precedence over archaic grammar rules. Stop chewing your pencils and forget about these rules. Each rule is followed by a grammatically correct sentence.

And then he left, never looking back.

Starting a sentence with a conjunction can help transition from one idea to another or add a dramatic tone to a passage. If you start sentences this way too often, your paragraphs will sound like one long run-on sentence. Use conjunctions at the start of sentences judiciously.

http://writing911.com/writing/good-writ ... ammar.html
Did you quit learning after the fifth grade?

I will post my SAT, GRE and GMAT scores if you will post any of your scores. But first you are going to have to make a five-figure bet. We can do verbal scores only if you prefer.

LinkC

Post by LinkC » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:02 pm

Most untimely deaths are newsworthy and, thus, reported. This one is no different and is from a legitimate source. The headline is correct. Whether you like it or not, the man died during a sleep study. That's why he was at the hospital. Neither the story nor the headline makes any causal link between the two.

Thanks for your concern and personal mis-characterizations, but I think I'll decline English lessons from one who can't spell "alone" and thinks it is incorrect to begin a sentence with a conjunction.* Your rude attempts at insult are noted...once again. I'll be the better man this time and defer to your obvious superiority at that. It still doesn't change what the story and the headline clearly say, despite your misinterpretation of them.

*Perhaps this, from languagestyle.suite101.com will be of interest:

Starting a Sentence With And
In the 1700s it was perfectly acceptable to start sentences with a conjunction. And it is becoming increasingly prevalent again now. But why use a conjunction to start a sentence? There are many advantages:

It maintains an easy, conversational style.
It preserves a link between sentences, while still delivering in a short, punchy vein. (Great for on-line writing).
It reduces the need for long, wordy compound sentences.
It is not grammatically incorrect to start a sentence with 'or', 'and' or 'but', and never has been, although it used to be discouraged. Now, thanks to the advent of email, and the proliferation of blogs and other on-line resources, public acceptance is much more forthcoming.

LinkC

Post by LinkC » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:10 pm

Rooster! I guess Google works the same everywhere!

With (another conjunction!) 126,000,000 hits for "begin sentence with and", you'd think we'd pick different ones...

LinkC

Post by LinkC » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:13 pm

MoneyGal wrote:Do you think it was a coronary brought on by (or worsened by?) apnea?
I don't think it's possible to say without some evidence of that. If the mother's description of blood and choke marks is accurate, "coronary" doesn't spring immediately to mind.

Autopapdude

Post by Autopapdude » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:37 pm

I will post my SAT, GRE and GMAT scores if you will post any of your scores. But first you are going to have to make a five-figure bet. We can do verbal scores only if you prefer.
Be glad to, although I did not take the Gmat, as I was not a business school admissions candidate. However, the post was not aimed at you, but Linky, who insists at responding to everything I post. I only responded to the unnecessary sensationalism of those kind of articles, as being unduly negative for the the people who need to be convinced to get sleep studies, and be compliant with xpap therapy.
It is at best colloquial to begin a sentence with a conjunction--in no way is it considered a high level of sentence structure to use that as a model for sentence construction.

However, the response wasn't intended for you--it was for your counterpart, Linkovitch Chermofsky.

Autopapdude

Post by Autopapdude » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:41 pm

Be glad to post scores, although I did not take the Gmat, as I was not a business school admissions candidate. My SAT and GRE scores would be more than competitive with anybody, so no issue there. However, the post was not aimed at you, but Linky, who insists at responding to everything I post. I only responded to the unnecessary sensationalism of those kind of articles, as being unduly negative for the the people who need to be convinced to get sleep studies, and be compliant with xpap therapy.
It is at best colloquial to begin a sentence with a conjunction--in no way is it considered a high level of sentence structure to use that as a model for sentence construction.

However, the response wasn't intended for you--it was for your counterpart, Linkovitch Chermofsky.
ll be the better man this time and defer to your obvious superiority at that. It still doesn't change what the story and the headline clearly say, despite your misinterpretation of them.
You're incapable of being the "better man." You respond to everything I post in a hostile manner, thus initiating a confrontation. So, where is your "being the better man" come in? If you don't like what I say, ignore it, and don't use this as your personal vendetta board against me. That would be "being a better man." So far, I have seen no evidence of that happening.

socknitster

Post by socknitster » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:44 pm

Autopapdude wrote:
This isn't a headline. It is a topic. If you want to talk semantics (is that a big enough word for you?), be my guest.

If you don't like the topic of a thread, simply don't click on it. Insulting people who are curious about this topic is NOT acceptable. Rooster was trying to post the facts of the matter as they became available. The fact of the matter IS that OSA does KILL people. Mostly indirectly, by means of metabolic syndrome or stress on the heart, but sometimes directly as may be the case here. The reason we are here on this board is because we are all intereted in how OSA affects others and to get tips and support. A topic like this reminds us that we need to take our treatment SERIOUSLY. Maybe it is a morbid curiousity. Maybe we are all counting our blessings that WE weren't the ones who died in that hospital. Maybe we believe that something like this SHOULDN'T HAPPEN TO ANYONE.

If you want to talk about stuff we all learned in school, how about the golden rule? I think I learned that in kindergarten. Treat others as you would like to be treated. That means, if you don't have anything nice to say, STOP TYPING.