New mask - it works!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
cybermom53

New mask - it works!

Post by cybermom53 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:51 am

Thanks to this forum - especially Spirit - I'm sleeping so much better! Last night, I slept almost six hours without waking up. I was having major problems getting to sleep and staying asleep. Several of you made wonderful suggestions. I had not thought it was the mask (I had been using nasal pillows) because initially I adapted so well to them. But Spirit suggested I try a new mask and had a similar experience. So I did. I'm now using a nasal mask and am happy to report that once I fall asleep, I no longer wake up everytime I turn over. I am still having a bit of a problem some nights getting to sleep, but I'm working on that. I think it might be mostly getting used to the new mask. And last night I really fell asleep quickly. I also had a red mark on the bridge of my nose the first night, but looked at forum posts on that topic and quickly started using hospital tape. Now that's pretty much gone too. So I have to say this forum is wonderful. I was really getting desperate for sleep before I got the new mask. Thank you so much!

Judy R

Re: New mask - it works!

Post by Judy R » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:48 am

That's fantastic! I'm tickled to see your doing so well, and I know it will just get better from here. Having the right mask, makes all the difference in the world.

Spirit

Post by Spirit » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:05 pm

Hi,
Wonderful news, your sleeping better. As you adjust to the new maks, sleep will continue to improve. So happy the forum, was able to assist you. Thanks for the fantastic update. Wishing you continued improvement.

As for insomnia, the s/x will improve as well, once your mind relaxes to all the new adjustments to cpap therapy. Keep us up to date on your progress.

jmelby

Post by jmelby » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:22 pm

Regarding the red mark on your nose--try dialing out the adjustment on the mask as far as you can without leaks. Be sure to lay down and move around to be sure you won't get leaks, but you should be able to wear the softgel without getting red marks.

(yet another Jeff)

Sergey45

Post by Sergey45 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:09 pm

That's good news. Which new mask do you use?

DreamOn

Post by DreamOn » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:11 am

So glad to hear that you found a mask that's working for you, cybermom53! Sometimes it does take some trial and error to find the best style and fit.