remstar auto a-flex

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
chronic

remstar auto a-flex

Post by chronic » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:02 pm

Howdy folks! First time poster here, with my first problem. I have been using cpap for almost 6 years. I had a PB 420 g, I think. Pressure 11, changed to 12 after a test with an auto pap a year or so ago. About a week or so ago I was able to get a new remstar auto a-flex, this is not an m. I was getting a cold when I picked it up and have had a cold ever since so, havn't really been able to give it a good test but last night I slept good. I really like it. The last two or three nights I notice that when I put the mask on and start breathing, my machine does not start automatically and right away. I need to take large exageratted breaths to get it to start and one time that didn't make it start. I had to push the button. What do you folks think about that. Little problem, isolated problem, indicitive of larger problem? Should I call the DME right away? Give it time? Forget about it?

Babette

Re: remstar auto a-flex

Post by Babette » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:13 pm

My "tank" reacts the same way. Just push the button if it doesn't start.

I wouldn't call the DME. Seems like a very normal thing. Sometimes it starts right up, sometimes I have to push the button.

Cheers,
B.

I currently have a stash of Nasal Aire II cannulas in Small or Extra Small. Please PM me if you would like them. I'm interested in bartering for something strange and wonderful that I don't currently own. Or a Large size NAII cannula. :)

el_zorro

Post by el_zorro » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:17 pm

Same results here, if autostart is turned on, the first time it seems to start right away, but then if you put it back on sometimes you have to press the button. I think there is some kind of delay. The auto-off has at least 1 one minute delay for sure after you take the mask off, then it will beep also.

Hawthorne

Post by Hawthorne » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:21 pm

Did you say it is an A-Flex but not an "M" Series? I didn't think that any other Respironics machines except the M Series had A-Flex? The new PR System 1 has C-Flex + which, I understand, is like A-Flex on the M Series.

I have the M Series with A-Flex and, if I wear a pillows mask (which I usually do) my machine starts on the second or third breath. If I am wearing a nasal mask it takes a little longer (maybe another breath). If I am wearing a full face mask, it takes several breaths and sometimes I have to physically turn it on. My 90% pressure is 12 cm.

Additional Comments:  Backups- FX Nano masks. Backup machine- Airmini auto travel cpap

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:24 pm

chronic wrote:Howdy folks! First time poster here, with my first problem. I have been using cpap for almost 6 years. I had a PB 420 g, I think. Pressure 11, changed to 12 after a test with an auto pap a year or so ago. About a week or so ago I was able to get a new remstar auto a-flex, this is not an m. I was getting a cold when I picked it up and have had a cold ever since so, havn't really been able to give it a good test but last night I slept good. I really like it. The last two or three nights I notice that when I put the mask on and start breathing, my machine does not start automatically and right away. I need to take large exageratted breaths to get it to start and one time that didn't make it start. I had to push the button. What do you folks think about that. Little problem, isolated problem, indicitive of larger problem? Should I call the DME right away? Give it time? Forget about it?
Not sure what machine you REALLY have. The older Legacy model Auto (looks like the one in my profile) did NOT have A-Flex (it has C-Flex) but one of the M Series APAPs DID have A-Flex. The brand new PR series APAP (I believe) also has A-Flex (but it doesn't sound like that's the one you have).

You also did not mention what mask you're using.

IF you have the older Legacy model APAP, it normally takes about three large breath puffs (from the mouth) to get it to auto-start (with a full face mask). I have also had (rare) occasions with mine when I did have to resort to pushing the button. If you have a nasal mask, you may not have been able to provide sufficient airflow to get the auto-start to engage. You should be able to check it by taking the mask off the hose and blowing into the hose with your mouth.

Did it EVER auto-start for you?

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:26 pm

el_zorro wrote:Same results here, if autostart is turned on, the first time it seems to start right away, but then if you put it back on sometimes you have to press the button. I think there is some kind of delay. The auto-off has at least 1 one minute delay for sure after you take the mask off, then it will beep also.
You can't turn the "auto-start" OFF. There is no setting for that......it's a "built in" default.
On the other hand, "auto-off" can (and should) be turned OFF.

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

rjjayrt

Post by rjjayrt » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:03 pm

I do believe the most recent REMSTAR autos had aflex (before the change to PR1) Pr1 auto has cflex, cflex+ and aflex. The auto on has always been a problem, respironics says that its got to do with senseing the inhalation, everyones inhalation (VT) is different, stronger inhalations tend to be less problematic. Bottom line is that it is not a problem with the machine.

chronic

Post by chronic » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:14 pm

Well, I took a quick look at the maching again, it is states plainly on it Remstar Auto A/flex, off to the side it says-- system one. In the owners manual it says that it can be set by the clinician to do a/flex, c-flex, c-flex + , and maybe one more. The clinician that set it up for me said this machine was the latest model available. It has a little card, maybe it is called an SD card that I can give to her and she can get a lot of information about how I am doing. She said that in the future there might be other capabilities. It is a nice machine. Once I lay down, pretty soon my breathing seems as smooth as silk. I seemed to have a lot of dreams last night. That might be good too. Thanks for the input regarding that auto start question. I will just let it ride for now.

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:32 pm

chronic wrote:Well, I took a quick look at the maching again, it is states plainly on it Remstar Auto A/flex, off to the side it says-- system one. In the owners manual it says that it can be set by the clinician to do a/flex, c-flex, c-flex + , and maybe one more. The clinician that set it up for me said this machine was the latest model available. It has a little card, maybe it is called an SD card that I can give to her and she can get a lot of information about how I am doing. She said that in the future there might be other capabilities. It is a nice machine. Once I lay down, pretty soon my breathing seems as smooth as silk. I seemed to have a lot of dreams last night. That might be good too. Thanks for the input regarding that auto start question. I will just let it ride for now.
Yep, that IS the newest Auto from Philips/Respironics.

You still haven't mentioned which mask you're using, but in any case, there's a two-year warranty on it, so if what we've mentioned doesn't satisfy your questions, you can always ask the person/DME supplier who gave it to you.

Den
User since 05/14/05

chronic

Post by chronic » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:01 pm

Sorry Wulfman, it a Resmed Mirage Softgel. It is a nasal mask. For the previous 6 years I had used the Activa (sp?). I like the new one better so far. The size she gave me was a large, I am wondering if a regular might be better, however it is a significant improvement from what I had been using. I have come to believe that I have been using my masks far too long. I think I have only had three in 6 years. This new dme gave me a schedule that said the insurance co. allowed a new one every 3 months.

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:06 pm

OK.
You might TRY disconnecting the mask from the hose and then blow in the hose to see if it auto-starts with a little more direct pressure.

Den
User since 05/14/05

rjjayrt

Post by rjjayrt » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:15 pm

I stand corrected. The legacy Remstar Auto had cflex, aflex did indeed come on the M series first.

LinkC

Post by LinkC » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:44 pm

I'm coming late to this party, but my M-series doesn't always auto-start either. And I find exaggerating your breaths doesn't seem to help. (But, boy, if you mask up with the hose attached, it'll start right up...even if you hold your breath!!! It's called "p*ss me off" mode, I think. )

But, seriously, when it won't start, I just push the button...no biggie. I don't think your machine is "broken". It sounds like a common pitfall.

Unlike his passengers who died screaming as the car went over the cliff...

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:56 pm

rjjayrt wrote: The auto on has always been a problem, respironics says that its got to do with senseing the inhalation, everyones inhalation (VT) is different, stronger inhalations tend to be less problematic. Bottom line is that it is not a problem with the machine.
My experience is this has more to do with leaks. If you have mask leaks, the machine doesn't always sense your breathing. Could try holding your fingers over the exhaust vent or pressing the mask onto your face or simply press the button.

I know on the legacy and M series auto-ON is NOT a feature you can turn off. I believe it is more designed as a safety feature for when the power goes off then on, the machine should auto-start, in your sleep.

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

MarylandCPAPer

Post by MarylandCPAPer » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:00 pm

I have the same machine you do with the same model name on it as you do, assuming the System One is on the attached humidifier. I got it last month. It looks exactly like the one pictured at:
http://www.sleepservicecenter.com/REMst ... ES0001671/

It is not on the list of CPAP machines in the equipment profile drop-down menu here, by the way, unless it was added within the last few days.

This is my first machine. I didn''t like the auto-start feature (using a nasal pillows mask) that was set by the DME. The machine started at full pressure before the pillows were seated, even if I didn't breathe, so I thought it was too responsive on Autostart, plus I need the ramp feature. I was able to get into the settings menu to change it without any problem, so it's likely you can do the same to change it to make it auto start. If "Autostart" is set to "ON" and the air doesn't start shortly after you start breathing with the mask, then I would consider the machine to be defective or ask if it is compatible with your current mask.

To turn it on manually, if you are supposed to start with a ramp setting, you press the large round button first and then the little button next to it to start it at ramp. Otherwise, if you auto-start or use only the large round button, it goes to full pressure right away.

If you check the manual for the list of settings, AHIs and large leaks are listed, but were not visible on my machine's LED when I first got it. I asked the DME about getting access to this information. They gave me a new SD card that unlocked these settings so I can see them on the LED. The DME said it could give me a software printout from the old SD card that I think would include this information, but I forgot to take the old SD card with me when I got the new card and will get it later.

Good luck.

Maryland CPAPer

Started CPAP 12/18/09 Pressure 13. Changed to APAP 1/18/10, Pressure 10-16. 4/2014:Switched to AirFit P10 mask. PR System One REMstar Auto Series 550 with A-Flex for 5.5 years. 7/2015 to present: AirSense 10 AutoSet FOR HER. Range: 10-20