what are gel decals?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Cosette

what are gel decals?

Post by Cosette » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:52 pm

Can anyone tell me what gel decals are and where I can find them? If I ask at the dollar store they will think I'm crazy if I don't know what they are.

Babette

Re: what are gel decals?

Post by Babette » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:38 pm

I think what they mean are either "moleskin" which is used to cushion warts, bunions and other foot ailments, or the gel heel inserts they sell to cushion the backside of your shoes to keep your foot from rubbing raw at the back of the heel.

Someone was speed typing and mis-spoke. They are probably talking about something that is gel-like, with an adhesive backing.

Look in the foot section of a drug store.

Cheers,
Barbara

I currently have a stash of Nasal Aire II cannulas in Small or Extra Small. Please PM me if you would like them. I'm interested in bartering for something strange and wonderful that I don't currently own. Or a Large size NAII cannula. :)

jules

Post by jules » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:44 pm

these in the center? I would hate to use something like that on my face - got some for furniture against wall and floor however.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:20 pm

Jules........I thought you were baking cookies..

akcpapguy

Post by akcpapguy » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:32 pm

Maybe you are looking for these.....

http://www.sleepcomfortcaresystem.com/
Canada...I can't say anything nice, so I won't say anything at all.

So many cats, so few recipes.

Babette

Post by Babette » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:58 pm

Jules is kidding, Cosette, don't use furniture pads.

http://www.sleepcomfortcaresystem.com/howitworks.html
"The Sleep Comfort Care Pad is a polymer gel material which provides ultimate skin protection."

Looks like a nice product! However, it's not available at the drug or dollar store. So I don't think that's what she's looking for.

HOWEVER, this does look like a quality product! Thanks for posting it.

Cheers,
B.

I currently have a stash of Nasal Aire II cannulas in Small or Extra Small. Please PM me if you would like them. I'm interested in bartering for something strange and wonderful that I don't currently own. Or a Large size NAII cannula. :)

Cosette

Post by Cosette » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:08 pm

Too late with the furniure pads! Now how do I take them off?

That other pad looks really good; have any of you tried it?
http://www.sleepcomfortcaresystem.com/

bearded_two

Post by bearded_two » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:34 pm

By the way, this is a collectors' item.

rosacer

Post by rosacer » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:50 pm

I would think it twice before puting on my face a gel decal not made specifically for use in contact with the skin.

I don't know in USA but here in Canada we have heard about products from the dollar stores which had harmful substances for the humans. Ex. toys, shoes, plastic bottles, etc. It could be a good idea to use a flexible kind of gel to protect our noses but it could bring more harm than good at least the materials are certified to be in contact with our body.

jules

Post by jules » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:57 pm

I wouldn't put those things on my mask - I wouldn't even put strap's latest moleskin type product on my mask without knowing more of what is in it and where it is made. There was someone who posted a while back about problems using a store brand version of "mack's" silicon ear plugs.

So Babs - nah --- I said above
I would hate to use something like that on my face

and would say the same about those kitty ones -

now if those were really cookies I was baking on those other sheets ------- hmm - maybe I can try those on my face or at least see if I can mouth breath a few of them.

bearded_two

Post by bearded_two » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:07 am

Most of the items in dollar stores are made in China and I don't trust Chinese products that are eaten, used for cooking, come into contact with food, or are used in contact with the body.

Some examples of deliberately or negligently toxic Chinese products: Ethylene glycol was sold as a Chinese "glycerin substitute" for use in making cough syrup, toothpaste, and other products. Ethylene glycol is toxic and the "glycerin substitute" has killed several children and adults in Latin America. Melamine is still being used in Chinese products instead of protein. Melamine "milk" and baby formula has killed and injured many infants in China, and melamine adulterated wheat gluten has killed and injured many animals in North America. Metal toys and jewelry from China contained cadmium. Cadmium is extremely toxic and the products were sold in North America. Chinese made toys are painted with lead based paint, and some were even sold by Mattel -- "You can tell it's Mattel, it's swell!".

Cosette

Post by Cosette » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:44 pm

[quote="bearded_two"]Most of the items in dollar stores are made in China and I don't trust Chinese products that are eaten, used for cooking, come into contact with food, or are used in contact with the body.

Have you checked where the nasal pillows are made? Mine say "China" on them. What can I do? Is it possible to get nasal pillows not made in China?

As an aside, check where your frozen veggies come from. I can get some lovely organic asparagus and green beans from China. I would never eat them. You know what the fertilizer is they use!

Cosette

Post by Cosette » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:51 pm

Babette wrote:I think what they mean are either "moleskin" which is used to cushion warts, bunions and other foot ailments, or the gel heel inserts they sell to cushion the backside of your shoes to keep your foot from rubbing raw at the back of the heel.

Someone was speed typing and mis-spoke. They are probably talking about something that is gel-like, with an adhesive backing.

Look in the foot section of a drug store.

Cheers,
Barbara
Barbara, thanks, the moleskin seems to work fine but boy it sure hurts when I pull it off in the morning!

BleepingBeauty

Post by BleepingBeauty » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:42 pm

Cosette wrote: Barbara, thanks, the moleskin seems to work fine but boy it sure hurts when I pull it off in the morning!
Apply the moleskin to the mask, not your skin.
Veni, vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Dx 11/07: AHI 107, central apnea, Cheyne Stokes respiration, moderate-severe O2 desats. (Simple OSA would be too easy. ;))

PR S1 ASV 950, DreamWear mask, F&P 150 humidifier, O2 @ 2L.