dry mouth
-
SandraEuba@aol.com
dry mouth
I am a user of a CPAP mask. I have been experiencing extreme dry mouth during the night. This use to be an occasional problem however it seems to be more frequent now. It wakes me up at night. When I swallow several times it stimulates my saliva glands and I go back to sleep. How do I prevent this? I do not have a problem during the day.
Re: dry mouth
In order for us to help you are going to have to give us some information. Which machine what pressure are you usinf c-flex or EPR and what mask, etc. Dry mouth is generally a sign that you are using a nasal mask and you are opening your mouth during the night. If you open your mouth the air and positive pressure goes out the open mouth and not to the obstructed airway.
Jerry
Jerry
_________________
| Humidifier: HC150 Heated Humidifier With Hose, 2 Chambers and Stand |
| Additional Comments: 11cm/H2O, Encore Pro 1.8i, Pro Analyzer, Encore Viewer1.0 - 3 Remstar Pro2's, 1 Remstar Auto |
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting: "Wow what a ride!"
I still play Cowboys and Bad Guys but now I use real bullets. CAS
I still play Cowboys and Bad Guys but now I use real bullets. CAS
- fadedgirl
- Posts: 162
- Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:21 pm
- Location: Dreaming of not dreaming in San Diego
Re: dry mouth
Before being diagnosed with OSA, I was dehydrated no matter how much water I consumed. I eventually found that I needed to replenish my electrolytes, which is something water does not do. There are many electrolyte supplements and drinks, but for me: I drink an 'emergen-c' on occasion if I feel especially thirsty. I also put 'Ultima Replenisher' in the Wild Raspberry flavor in my water once or twice a day. It tastes like kool-aid, but has no sugar and no high carbs like a lot of the sports drinks contain. I really love it and I don't feel like I'm going to die of dry mouth or thirst any more.
I was quite concerned that having air forced down my throat would bring me back to the days of dry mouth and needing to drink water all night (and then having to get up all night to use the restroom). Thus far I have been fine in keeping with having one or two (or a mixture) of the two drinks noted above. I know this is different than having dry mouth from sleeping with your mouth wide open all night , but if you are dehydrated in general that could be a large contributor to your night time dry mouth, as it was for me prior to OSA diagnosis. After several very long months of trying the various sports drinks and electrolyte supplements on the market, this combo has worked for me wonderfully. I'm sure others will chip in with their ideas on your equipment, I'm too new to offer any advice on that front. I hope you find a resolution!
I was quite concerned that having air forced down my throat would bring me back to the days of dry mouth and needing to drink water all night (and then having to get up all night to use the restroom). Thus far I have been fine in keeping with having one or two (or a mixture) of the two drinks noted above. I know this is different than having dry mouth from sleeping with your mouth wide open all night , but if you are dehydrated in general that could be a large contributor to your night time dry mouth, as it was for me prior to OSA diagnosis. After several very long months of trying the various sports drinks and electrolyte supplements on the market, this combo has worked for me wonderfully. I'm sure others will chip in with their ideas on your equipment, I'm too new to offer any advice on that front. I hope you find a resolution!
_________________
| Mask: FlexiFit HC431 Full Face CPAP Mask with Headgear |
| Additional Comments: Aussie Heated Hose!! |
Re: dry mouth
You may need to try a full face mask, but I also suggest you ask your MD about Sjogren's ("Showgren's) syndrome. It's an autoimmune condition related to arthritis (though you don't need arthritis to have it) and also gives you dry eyes. There are specific ways to deal with it and you can be quickly an easily tested (if testing is even necessary). I mention it because it is fairly common, more so in women, and because you said you had problems even before starting Cpap.
Re: dry mouth
I had the same problem. It all started with the change in weather, the cold and lack of humidity in the air. Do you have a humidifier, what setting do you have set at now. I suggest before you make any adjustments first get a hose cover, it helps with rainout. Make small adjustments, .5% at a time, this usually will help. Remember once the weather get back to normal you have to adjust the setting down some. You did not mention what type of mask you currently have, this has to do with dry mouth, if you breath thru your mouth. That is if the mask is nasal pillow or nasal cushion. I hope this helps, if you would post the equipment you have it will help.




