Best Mask for Side Sleepers?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
fnorette

Post by fnorette » Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:49 pm

My journey to find a satisfactory side-sleeper mask has included:

1. Ultra Mirage FF
2. Ultra Mirage Nasal
3. Resmed Vista (worst of the bunch )
4. Breeze (not good even on my back)
5. Activa (continual leaks in eyes)
6. F&P Flexifit 407 (pick of litter so far)

Now have an Aura in house and will be trying it tonight. Bulletins as they break!

Sleepless on LI

Post by Sleepless on LI » Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:15 pm

fnorette wrote:Now have an Aura in house and will be trying it tonight. Bulletins as they break!
Please read Ozij's new post that has a lot of helpful hints...as a matter of fact, if you haven't already, read all the posts you can find on the Aura so you know all the tricks to adjusting it before you even try it tonight. I believe there is a link in the CPAP FAQ to it.

Please post tomorrow and let us know how it went. I'm so happy everyone is trying the Aura. We all know what I think of it.

L o R i

Severeena

Post by Severeena » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:04 pm

Ultra MIrage, makes obscene noises, the small one size fits all, no adjustment, medium one size fits all no adjustment, large one size fits all no adjustments. I made face mask pads for my Ultra but it still made noises.

I contaced the Hans Rudoloph people and I found out I need a petite, now if someone needs a petite, you will not get it with the Ultra MIrage Full Face mask.

Not all Masks work for everyone. Each Person is Different.

lindas88

Post by lindas88 » Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:51 pm

The Activa is the one I like...I can even sleep on my stomach with this one...

*** Linda ***

Jere

Post by Jere » Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:01 pm

I like the Swift for my side-sleeping habits, but it has its limitations (like switching sides!); however if you keep your face at the edge of the pillow, you don't even feel the mask.

"First rule of holes: when you are in one, stop digging"

LilBuckaroo

Post by LilBuckaroo » Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:36 am

I agree with Wulfman. I use an UltraMirage FF and a Shapeable pillow.

Until later, stay safe, be nice, sleep well and keep on papin'

Severeena

Post by Severeena » Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:35 pm

The web site for the Hans Rudolph ia
http://www.rudolphhkc.com

They will email you with DME's and if you need the calliper they will send it on request.

I know I have a calliper and my new Hans Rudolph Petite, more quiet and it fits better.

Not all Masks work for everyone. Each Person is Different.

Ric

NOW FOR SOMETHING NEW AND DIFFERENT

Post by Ric » Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:36 am

fnorette wrote:My journey to find a satisfactory side-sleeper mask has included:

1. Ultra Mirage FF
2. Ultra Mirage Nasal
3. Resmed Vista (worst of the bunch )
4. Breeze (not good even on my back)
5. Activa (continual leaks in eyes)
6. F&P Flexifit 407 (pick of litter so far)

Now have an Aura in house and will be trying it tonight. Bulletins as they break!
Resurrected this old thread using search term "VISTA".

It's almost time for my insurance to spring for a new mask, and the looks of the VISTA caught my attention (sort of minimalist, and maybe "glasses-friendly"?) . Also the review on cpap.com says it is the latest in the series. (hmmm, introduced in nov 2002? can this be true?). Is this really the "worst of the bunch"? Glad I found this before I pushed the "Add to Cart" button.

Currently own a Swift, UM-II, Somnoplus. Mostly use the UM-II.

Ready to try something new and different. Any suggestions?

He who dies with the most masks wins.

Snoozin' Bluezzz

Post by Snoozin' Bluezzz » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:23 am

Vista leaks, at least for me. Just didn't seal well. Tight enough to seal, too tight to be comfortable. I liked the lack of obstruction though.

SB

john5757

Post by john5757 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:17 am

The problem I had with the Vista was that the straps were rubbing on the ears

LilBuckaroo

Post by LilBuckaroo » Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:56 pm

Den,

You are not the "odd man out". I use 3 UltraMirage FF's, also. They are the only ones that I have and obviously use. The saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" applies to me. I don't have the resources to get a different mask every month. And if I did I probably wouldn't do it anyway.

Until later, stay safe, be nice, sleep well and keep on papin'

Wulfman

Re: Best Mask for Side Sleepers?

Post by Wulfman » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:34 pm

LilBuckaroo wrote:Den,

You are not the "odd man out". I use 3 UltraMirage FF's, also. They are the only ones that I have and obviously use. The saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" applies to me. I don't have the resources to get a different mask every month. And if I did I probably wouldn't do it anyway.
Harold,

That thread is about six months old and I'm STILL using the same mask and STILL wouldn't switch.
I may buy another one or some replacement seals/cushions in the future, but I'm happy with it.
I guess I still feel lucky that I picked the right one to begin with. Instead of buying a drawer full of masks that won't work, I'm saving up for another machine (mainly for a backup).

Take care and sleep well,

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Amigo

Post by Amigo » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:47 am

After all the variations on a theme I have seen here regarding headgear, as a side-sleeper, I have stayed with my "old faithful," the Adam Circuit. Apparently it has been around for a long time (like me).

I love its minimalist approach, and lack of anything that pokes, rubs, scraps, or generally annoys.

"DESCRIPTION:

Lighter and more comfortable than traditional nasal mask interfaces, the ADAM™ Interface System is the original CPAP therapy alternative to use Nasal Pillows. The Nasal Pillows, which are available in seven sizes, gently seal at the patient’s nares to reduce leaks. The ADAM interface includes Velcro® fasteners that permit maximum versatility in fitting and adjustment. Some features include a swivel adapter that provides stress relief between tubing and shell to avoid dislodging pillows, medical grade silicone Nasal Pillows...."

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/adam-c ... wivel.html

Snoozie

Post by Snoozie » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:55 am

I guess I will put in my 2cents worth for the Aura and Breeze. You can flip around hard with the Aura, Breeze, a little more carefully.

Post by Guest » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:57 am

Amigo, I was wondering if you ever tried the Breeze and if you did, why you like the Adam better. I've tried alot of masks and currently use the Breeze but it isn't perfect so am still looking.
(If you never tried the Breeze, then never mind.)