sleep lab

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Cosette

sleep lab

Post by Cosette » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:13 pm

I have been using CPAP for 4 weeks and am scheduled for another sleep lab in two weeks. My data reader screen isn't working and nobody has read my "Smart Card." I'm not convinced that the treatment is doing any good. Should I wait until I have better results before having the sleep lab?

Gerryk

Re: sleep lab

Post by Gerryk » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:21 pm

Welcome aboard.
Someone needs to read the data. If you don't feel any better then perhaps the data will say what's going on. Things may be going good and you just don't feel it yet. Some people notice a difference immediately others it takes time. Some people insist they aren't any better and then wake up one morning and say WOW!

Keep working at it and try and fix any little problems you have and things will slowly come together.

Are their any specific problems you are having such as moisture in your mask, mask leaking or anything?

Gerry

2ndGenCPAPgal

Post by 2ndGenCPAPgal » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:30 pm

It is somewhat unusual (but definitely not unheard of) to be given a machine between sleep studies. Don't let whether or not you're feeling results be the guide as to whether or not you should go to the sleep study. If anything, the next sleep lab might help fine tune your settings so you get better results. I'm almost 6 months in and notice new little changes all the time.

Sorry about all the questions, but they might help clarify a few things:
First, is the picture of your machine/humidifier correct? The 2 are from different models and I didn't think they worked together. Is this possibly your machine? https://www.cpap.com/cpap-machine/remst ... -flex.html Once we verify this we might be able to help you see something on the LCD.

Was your first sleep study just an initial study or was it a split night study? (You would know if it was a split night study because the tech would have come in and put a mask on you about midway through)

Were you given any info about the first study? (how often you stopped breathing, etc)

Did your doctor or sleep study center give you any information as to WHY they gave you the machine? or what their next plans are?

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:01 pm

Frankly, I think its a good idea having an in-lab sleep evaluation then being given a CPAP, or better yet an APAP, to tide you over until a scheduled in-lab titration. You can get most or at least some of the "kinks" out and somewhat acclimated to sleeping w/a PAP and hopefully even find a mask that works well for you so that come time for the in-lab titration they'll have a better idea of what pressure to start you out w/and get a better titration since you should sleep a lot better than if it were your first night w/a mask and on CPAP. However, six weeks seems a bit of a stretch w/o their at least looking at the data and maybe making a minor adjustment or two according to the data. Doing it this way also clarifies whether CPAP helps to eliminate or reduce any other likely sleep disorders such as restless leg, periodic leg movements, etc. that might have shown up during your in-lab sleep evaluation.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:29 pm

Cosette, what range of pressure is your autopap set at?
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

Cosette

Post by Cosette » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:05 pm

The picture of my machine is not correct. It should be cpap-machine/remstar-auto-m-series-a-flex.

The range of pressure is Auto 4-12

My first sleep study was an initial one. No machine was used.

The person who set me up with the machine had the results of my study.

My primary physician sent me a note that I might profit by a CPAP machine and that a sleep study appointment was being set up for me.

The next plans are another sleep study with the CPAP equipment.

I'm have trouble with moisture in my mask, the mask leaking, and pain on my nose and cheeks when I use the full face mask Fisher FlexiFit431. Could I have the straps pulled too tight?

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:09 pm

You could have the straps too tight (not a good idea), or else the mask just doesn't fit you, whether it's a size problem or a that you'd suit a slightly different mask. Most of us go through various mask trials before finding the 'right' one or ones, and you shouldn't settle for either discomfort or ineffective results. Also, 4-12 is not a "pressure range". It's allowing the machine to start at its default low setting (the factory bottom line) and then take it's time to get up to 12. If you're like most of us, you won't be able to breathe at all until it reaches about 6 or so, but if your prescribed pressure is e.g. 10 (the majority of us seem to be there) then there's no point in starting at the bottom and hoping the machine catches up to the higher number every time you have an event. You need to bump up the low pressure (most of us are at 8 and 12, which seems to be most effective, though doesn't limit the high pressure to 12 if an event comes along requiring more pressure.

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:13 pm

I would definitely keep the appointment for the next sleep study night, which will be your "titration" night. That's where they will use CPAP on your while you're all wired up, to find out what single pressure is most effective for you.
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

montana user

Post by montana user » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:28 am

Sometimes the sleep lab will send you home on an auto CPAP for a couple weeks so you can get used to wearing the mask, so you sleep better during the second study. We do this quite often, and have a better success rate of people sleeping all night on the CPAP, vs. putting it on one night and playing with the pressures. So after your study, your machine will be set at just one pressure setting that is perfect for you.