Months since I cleaned my mask?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
cpapguru38

Months since I cleaned my mask?

Post by cpapguru38 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:45 pm

I have the comfort gel mask and am still fairly new to Cpap therapy. I have been reading and it dawned on me that perhaps I should be cleaning my mask? I've had the current mask for about 4 months and only once wiped it down with a sani-wipe. I was thinking to start using lysol wipes once per week?

LSAT

Re: Months since I cleaned my mask?

Post by LSAT » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:15 pm

It would take you about a minute to snap off the cover and rinse the gel with hot water and re-assemble. Let it air dry.
It is not necessary to do this on a regular basis, but, once every week or 10 days would keep the mask germ free.....after all, you are breathing in the mask 6-8 hours a night.

cinco777

Post by cinco777 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:22 pm

I wear a FF mask. I get a better seal with my face when I wash the mask seal daily. If I skip a day, I have observed that my average leak rate tends to be higher and my leak lines are not as flat. Since I wear my mask over 7 hours/night and it only takes me about 2 mins each morning to wash it and set it to dry, I don't consider the washing time unnecessary or wasted. It is just something that I do each morning which takes about the same time as brushing my teeth.

I live in my body. I know my body better than anyone else in the world. I may consult a medical professional for advice, but no one, and I do mean NO ONE tells me what I am permitted to do. - Kiralynx

mattman

Post by mattman » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:10 pm

cpapguru38 wrote:I have the comfort gel mask and am still fairly new to Cpap therapy. I have been reading and it dawned on me that perhaps I should be cleaning my mask? I've had the current mask for about 4 months and only once wiped it down with a sani-wipe. I was thinking to start using lysol wipes once per week?
This topic seems to be pretty evenly split down the middle based on responses to similar threads that pop up.

Some folks clean their masks pretty religiously. Others don't.

I have a Comfort Gel Mask and I've cleaned it maybe once in the last two years or so. I currently have swine flu so once I get over this I'll wipe it down with thoroughly with an alcohol pad. Getting some sort of infection or illness is really the only time I'll bother to do so.

If I were forced to tell someone I'd say it's up to you. Clean it when you feel it will make you happy.
Machine: REMstar Pro 2 C-Flex CPAP Machine
Masks: 1) ComfortGel Mask with Headgear
2) ComfortSelect Mask with Headgear
3) Swift
Humidifier: REMstar Heated Humidifier

SnoozyWoozyCat

Post by SnoozyWoozyCat » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:34 pm

What about washing the hose -- Is this necessary? My machine seems to have a blower on in that goes for a period after I turn it off in the morning which I imagine is to dry it on the inside.

And I have seen CPAP wipes -- are these useful for cleaning the mask? I'm using liquid soap at this point and rinsing in warm water.

bearded_two

Post by bearded_two » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:40 pm

SnoozyWoozyCat wrote:What about washing the hose -- Is this necessary? ... And I have seen CPAP wipes -- are these useful for cleaning the mask? ...
It is not necessary to clean your hose, although like masks, some people like to clean it. Some people like to use CPAP wipes; they are not as good as washing the mask -- sort of like using a Wet-Nap versus washing your hands with soap and water. I am quite curious about what chemicals are being left behind by the CPAP wipes on the mask and then being transferred to your face.

sleepycarol

Post by sleepycarol » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:43 pm

Let me see, I can't remember when I cleaned my mask. I use the Headrest, a nasal pillow mask. It was in the summer sometime. I go months between cleanings, unless I am sick and then I will usually give it a cleaning after I am over whatever it is I had. My hose has never been washed and still am on the original hose. It was 2 years in August so you can tell how long I have been using it.

My cleaning methods are pretty lax. I don't care, if I did care I would clean more often.

Do what you feel comfortable in doing. Some clean daily, while others, like myself, seldom do.
Start Date: 8/30/2007 Pressure 9 - 15
I am not a doctor or other health care professional. Comments reflect my own personal experiences and opinions.

pagebypage

Post by pagebypage » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:56 pm

Washing the headgear can be important, too. Bacteria builds up that can rub against the skin, especially where there is hair. Don't want to get zitty!
Depends on individual needs/symptoms/preference, of course.