xPAP'ing and the pregnant wife

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Cygnusia
Posts: 178
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:03 pm
Location: Murfreesboro, TN

xPAP'ing and the pregnant wife

Post by Cygnusia » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:58 am

Do we have any guys here who have dealt with a pregnant partner, hospitals and xPAPs? I'm prepping for a soon-to-be birthing, and I fully plan on sleeping overnight with wifey at the hospital while she's recuperating. She's due somewhere between mid-December and early January.

I want to start getting my ducks in a row with my treatment so that I can be prepared when the water breaks...

_________________
Mask
Additional Comments: Pressure: 9cm H2O - C-Flex: 1
Strange as I seem, I'm getting stranger by the minute
Look in my dreams, They're getting stranger by the minute

--Porcupine Tree

User avatar
Sleepy Taz
Posts: 252
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 9:27 am
Location: Illinois

Re: xPAP'ing and the pregnant wife

Post by Sleepy Taz » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:09 am

Cygnusia,

My wife went into the hospital 6 weeks before her due date as her water broke. They wanted to delay as long as possible the birth to give me daughter extra time in the womb to develop and I spent each night there along with my Cpap. As a matter of fact when I mentioned sleep apnea the nurse told me to make sure it was in the room if I was staying overnight. One week later my daughter was born and I slept a total of 8 nights in the room with my Wife. Congratulations on the upcoming birth of your child and I hope all went well on your job interview!!
"I can't do anything about the past. I have no idea what will happen tomorrow. What matters is the present. And, just in case tomorrow should never come, I'm going to use the present as constructively as I can."

User avatar
Uncle_Bob
Posts: 2777
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:10 pm
Location: Arizona

Re: xPAP'ing and the pregnant wife

Post by Uncle_Bob » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:14 pm

Cygnusia wrote:Do we have any guys here who have dealt with a pregnant partner, hospitals and xPAPs? I'm prepping for a soon-to-be birthing, and I fully plan on sleeping overnight with wifey at the hospital while she's recuperating. She's due somewhere between mid-December and early January.

I want to start getting my ducks in a row with my treatment so that I can be prepared when the water breaks...
As the due date gets closer you might want to completely empty your humidifier and pack your machine ready. A small bottle of distilled water and an power extension cord should be packed also.

I slept in a cot in my wife & babies room for 2 nights. The room was purposely designed so that anyone entering the room needed me awake so the cot could be folded up in order to access the baby ( a security feature i was told !) The cot was some distance from a power outlet so I would recommend an extension cord.

Have you been to any birthing classes at the hospital yet? most of them let you see the type of rooms they have.

Hope it goes well for you both

Cygnusia
Posts: 178
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:03 pm
Location: Murfreesboro, TN

Re: xPAP'ing and the pregnant wife

Post by Cygnusia » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:47 pm

No, we opted for not taking classes. We're both pretty knowledgeable, and short of an emergency, we're more or less prepared for what's coming (except for things like dealing with the CPAP, of course.)

_________________
Mask
Additional Comments: Pressure: 9cm H2O - C-Flex: 1
Strange as I seem, I'm getting stranger by the minute
Look in my dreams, They're getting stranger by the minute

--Porcupine Tree