UPDATE: Respironics FullLife Mask - Release on July 20

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
tonycog

Re: UPDATE: Respironics FullLife Mask - Release on July 20

Post by tonycog » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:59 am

If any of you end up with a Large that isn't going to work for you, I'd love a test-drive opportunity.

Just sayin'
Tony

socalmonkey

Post by socalmonkey » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:27 pm

Thanks BleepingBeauty. I've not completely given up on it. I am just getting really good results (all of the sudden) with the Mirage Activa LT.
So the air blowing out of the vents doesn't bother you? It's not too loud?

I am going to spend more time with it over the weekend. I'm afraid to try it on a night when I have to work the next day.

My real issue seems to be the size. The large is out of the question. The medium touches my nose, when adjusted to the point of sealing all leaks, and it's also pretty close around my mouth. It doesn't take much mouth movement to make it leak. If it came in a size between those two, then I might be ok. But I am going to give it another go. I will also try it next week with the new PR System One. I'm wondering if that machines Resistance Control feature will have any noticeable effect.

Tony, the large is not a standalone mask. I have the Fitpack which is all three sizes.

I'm going to keep working on it. But if I can't get better results than my present mask, then what's the point.
carbonman wrote:
socalmonkey wrote: But the FullLife is full a disappointment to me.
de lure of de mask is a cruel task master.
Well said carbonman... well said!

Last edited by socalmonkey on Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Maple Leaf

Post by Maple Leaf » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:51 pm

socalmonkey wrote: I will also try it next week with the new PR System One. I'm wondering if that machines Resistance Control feature will have any noticeable effect.

I hope all goes well with the new mask socal..... but then again, de lure of de machine may have something to say about that!!

Rick

newname

Post by newname » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:52 pm

I have the medium Full Life for a few nights now and even though it feels okay, I wake up with a bright red mark across my nose and it lasts all day. I wonder why it marks up my nose if the part that touches my nose is soft?
I don't know if I should get the large and try that size or just not use it and go back to my Activa LT and try taping my mouth. Can I put a large cushion on the medium mask or would I need a whole new mask?

Also I think the Full Life leaks too easily.

They should make the Activa LT in a full face. That would be so comfortable.

jdm2857

Post by jdm2857 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:10 pm

The FullLife has one frame size that all three cushion sizes fit.
jeff

socalmonkey

Post by socalmonkey » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:13 pm

newname wrote:I have the medium Full Life for a few nights now and even though it feels okay, I wake up with a bright red mark across my nose and it lasts all day. I wonder why it marks up my nose if the part that touches my nose is soft?
I don't know if I should get the large and try that size or just not use it and go back to my Activa LT and try taping my mouth. Can I put a large cushion on the medium mask or would I need a whole new mask?

Also I think the Full Life leaks too easily.

They should make the Activa LT in a full face. That would be so comfortable.
Yes, you can put a large cushion on there. The one frame accommodates all three sizes.

Maybe the Activa LT has spoiled us. Because I completely agree with you, that the FullLife leaks too easily.

I just tired it again. And it not happening. There is no way it's going to work for me. IF it takes that much work... it's not going to stay dialed in. I can not live with it. I wanted to love it, but I can't even come close.

Just for fun I tired my old Comfort Gel nasal... and it's not comfortable! It sucks (well acutally leaks) easier than my Activa LT, but seals better than the FullLife. But hurts my upper lip and teeth. That was my big problem with it. I about 6 of those models, over about 2 years. So far, nothing I've used seals like the LT.

For now, I am staying with the Activa LT.

I never thought I would love a mask named after yogart!

Last edited by socalmonkey on Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

socalmonkey

Post by socalmonkey » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:19 pm

Maple Leaf wrote:
socalmonkey wrote: I will also try it next week with the new PR System One. I'm wondering if that machines Resistance Control feature will have any noticeable effect.

I hope all goes well with the new mask socal..... but then again, de lure of de machine may have something to say about that!!

Rick
All I can say Rick...

is thank god I found something new to obsess over!

BleepingBeauty

Post by BleepingBeauty » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:51 pm

socalmonkey wrote:Thanks BleepingBeauty. I've not completely given up on it. I am just getting really good results (all of the sudden) with the Mirage Activa LT.
So the air blowing out of the vents doesn't bother you? It's not too loud?
No, not at all. I find the FullLife to be a quieter breathing experience than I had with the Swift LT. But I'm not someone who's bothered at night by white noise or nightlights, etc. (which is a good thing, since I have the "noisy" machine AND an oxygen concentrator in my bedroom). Even the blue lights on la machine don't faze me at all. Maybe I'm just not as sensitive to these kinds of things as others are, but I find the FullLife to be pleasantly quiet.
I am going to spend more time with it over the weekend. I'm affair to try it on night when I have to work the next day.

My real issue seems to be the size. The large is out of the question. The medium touches my nose, when adjusted to the point of sealing all leaks, and it's also pretty close around my mouth. It doesn't take much mouth movement to make it leak. If it came in a size between those two, then I might be ok. But I am going to give it another go. I will also try it next week with the new PR System One. I'm wondering if that machines Resistance Control feature will have any noticeable effect.
I hope you do give the FullLife a real chance. Now that your Activa is giving you good therapy, it could be that you'll end up with two masks that work well for you. As with any new mask, patience and adjustments are a necessity.

We're in the same boat, size-wise, as I think the ideal size for me would be somewhere between the Small and Medium cushion. But I've been able to make the Small work for me, and I hope you can do the same with the Medium. My impression, from what you've said about your experience, is that you have the mask cranked down too tight. I had it tighter initially, but I've been loosening it, bit by bit, and it's now more comfortable than I expected it to be (and my leak line is better). Still makes the bridge of my nose red, but I imagine any FFM would do that.

Good luck.
Veni, vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Dx 11/07: AHI 107, central apnea, Cheyne Stokes respiration, moderate-severe O2 desats. (Simple OSA would be too easy. ;))

PR S1 ASV 950, DreamWear mask, F&P 150 humidifier, O2 @ 2L.

mindy

Post by mindy » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:05 am

My experience has also been that the tighter I crank down a FFM, the worse the leaks. Slightly pulling it off my face and letting it settle back (sometimes a few times) when it's hooked up and machine is on definitely helps me (this works with nasal pillows, too). Band-aid and moleskin help with the red nose marks and rotating masks helps me also. I don't think the perfect mass-produced mask has been invented yet and one that works for everyone is probably not ever going to be realistic.

The other (expensive) option is a custom-made mask but I haven't found out yet where to get one and how good they are (and how much they actually cost!)

Mindy

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
--- Author unknown

AAdjuster

Post by AAdjuster » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:36 am

I'm still loving my FullLife mask.

I'm using 16-17 on APAP.

For those who don't know it, the chin strap can be used to seal leaks around the eyes. If you don't tighten the chin strap enough, the mask will blow air all over your eyes badly.

Why tightening the chin strap helps I don't know.

BleepingBeauty

Post by BleepingBeauty » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:15 am

AAdjuster wrote:I'm still loving my FullLife mask.

I'm using 16-17 on APAP.

For those who don't know it, the chin strap can be used to seal leaks around the eyes. If you don't tighten the chin strap enough, the mask will blow air all over your eyes badly.

Why tightening the chin strap helps I don't know.
My guess is that, by tightening the chin strap, the top of the mask frame is then able to sit little further out from the bridge of the nose (i.e., making the mask more vertical), which allows it to seal over the nose better. Of course, the other headgear straps have to allow for that kind of adjustment. As with any mask headgear, too tight creates a leak problem.

That's been my own experience, anyway.
Veni, vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Dx 11/07: AHI 107, central apnea, Cheyne Stokes respiration, moderate-severe O2 desats. (Simple OSA would be too easy. ;))

PR S1 ASV 950, DreamWear mask, F&P 150 humidifier, O2 @ 2L.

Arizona-Willie

Post by Arizona-Willie » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:18 pm

I gave up on my FullLife after a week. My nose was so sore it was incredible. Broke out in pimples and skin split open too!!

Had to go back to my Quattro.

Nose still hasn't completely healed after a week back on the Quattro but it's coming along.

And I was using it on cpap at only 9.5 cm pressure.

I can wear the Quattro with apap and it's set from 6 to 13 right now with no leaks ... I've had it as high as 15.
I'm sure I could never stand the FullLift tightened down to hold 13 -15 cm of pressure.

But that's my face ... fortunately it works for others.

newname

Post by newname » Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:18 pm

My nose is still red and sore and I went back to the Activa LT last night. The night before I put a bandaid on my nose and it still got red and sore from the Full Life.
I'll request a large cushion and see if that helps at all.

socalmonkey

Post by socalmonkey » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:43 am

SLEEP REVIEW magazine finally publishes a news story about the new FullLife (thanks to yours truly).

http://www.sleepreviewmag.com/news/2009-08-19_01.asp

It's not much of a story, but I emailed them about covering this (and they said they would) over a month ago. I was hoping it would help increase awareness at the DME level, thus getting it available sooner. Too little, too late.

I should work in PR (as in public relations).

hikewv

Post by hikewv » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:08 pm

Well Apria called me today and is shipping me the mask to my house, will take a week ish, but it is on order. Plus I was very surprised that the cost of the fitpack is way less than cpap.com, that was a nice surprise.