Travel CPAP - on a motorcycle

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
socks349

Travel CPAP - on a motorcycle

Post by socks349 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:43 pm

The good news is that we'll always be within reach of 110v so I'm not talking batteries, but we are talking motorcycles and limited luggage space. Any recommendations for light and reliable - we are going to be in Denver and Utah, so both altitude and dry down by Moab.

sam1234

Re: Travel CPAP - on a motorcycle

Post by sam1234 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:22 pm

socks349 wrote:The good news is that we'll always be within reach of 110v so I'm not talking batteries, but we are talking motorcycles and limited luggage space. Any recommendations for light and reliable - we are going to be in Denver and Utah, so both altitude and dry down by Moab.
Are you camping? That would make a big difference re: space needs.

I camped with a motorcycle and a apap sans humidifier. Using saddle bags, tail bag, and soft sided cooler, I was able to take my machine.a DC-10 converter, a deep cycle battery, a tent, a sleeping bag, an air mattress, a battery lantern, rainsuit, tire repair kit, a portable air compressor, food and water for three days.

Good travels, that is a beautiful part of the country.

socks349

Post by socks349 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:10 am

Don't think we'll camp, but really can't see taking my current machine unless I separate it from the humidifier section - but I'm concerned that the humidifier is essential in the CO/Utah area. Really think I need the most compact cpap+humidifier I can find to use for this motorcycle trip (or any other trips). I've ridden out there a number of times, just always day trips from Denver.

yardbird

Post by yardbird » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:27 am

Have a look at the Intellipap.

I have the auto and also got the integrated humidifier. Unit WITH humidifier attached is still quite small. It's listed on cpap.com as a travel machine. I use it as my every day machine and it's quieter than any machine I've owned so far.

LinkC

Post by LinkC » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:30 am

You won't need a CPAP.

Multiply your prescribed pressure by 6. Crank up the bike to that speed (in MPH) and open your mouth! (C-flex takes a bit of coordination between throttle and brake...)

Have a great road trip. Wish I was going with ya!

Unlike his passengers who died screaming as the car went over the cliff...

sam1234

Post by sam1234 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:17 pm

socks349 wrote:Don't think we'll camp, but really can't see taking my current machine unless I separate it from the humidifier section - but I'm concerned that the humidifier is essential in the CO/Utah area. Really think I need the most compact cpap+humidifier I can find to use for this motorcycle trip (or any other trips). I've ridden out there a number of times, just always day trips from Denver.

Is that because of the humidity? I was camping in AZ.

plr66

Post by plr66 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:51 am

Also check out the Aeiomed Everest 2. I think it might be the lightest one available with HH. It is tiny and compact with its vertical stack positioning of the HH. I love it for travel and just keep it packed and ready with mask and all the odds n ends--or I'd probably be using it at home as my primary machine.

Edit: And as an afterthought, you might also consider going ahead and purchasing the full Everest 2 bundle with battery, for times when you travel without your bike, or for power outage situations at home. I have been amazed at how lightweight this battery is for the number of hours it can operate on a charge.
https://www.cpap.com/cpap-machine/evo-A ... chine.html
Click also on "View Discount Bundles" for the other components.
DeVilbiss IntelliPap Std Plus with Smartflex; Transcend miniCPAP & Everest2 w/humidifier & batt for travel. UltraMirage FFM; PadACheeks; PaPillow. Using straight CPAP at 13.0/passover humidifier. AHI consistently < 1.5. Began CPAP 9/4/08.

JeffH

Post by JeffH » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:54 pm

I carried an old Sullivan V for many thousands of miles in my riding career. The worst thing that ever happened to me was getting to a motel in Clovis NM about 9:00 one night, getting my cpap set up ready and my Adams only had one nasal pillow in it. Scared the crap out of me! Got to looking around in the bag and found it. Learned then to ALWAYS carry extra nasal pillows at the very least.

And have fun.

JeffH

sam1234

Post by sam1234 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:53 pm

You reminded me of a time when I was in PA with my CPAP. I had forgotten to pack the power cord. Fortunately, it was the same as a cord used to power a computer printer. After a short ride to Radio Shack, all was good.

Now I check twice to see that I have everything, before I leave the house.

Rattleman

Post by Rattleman » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:41 pm

LinkC wrote:You won't need a CPAP.

Multiply your prescribed pressure by 6. Crank up the bike to that speed (in MPH) and open your mouth! (C-flex takes a bit of coordination between throttle and brake...)

Have a great road trip. Wish I was going with ya!
But be sure to watch out for bugs......

Georgio

Post by Georgio » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:50 pm

My M-Series (without humidifier) and the 3 night Resperonics battery fit neatly in one of my saddlebags, with room to spare. The M-Series was origionally designed to be a travel unit. You are accustomed to Resperonics, so it would be a good choice.

Georgio
M-Series W/Aflex, Swift LT, Encoreviewer