Which masks to carry?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
That Sleep Tech

Which masks to carry?

Post by That Sleep Tech » Wed May 20, 2009 11:27 pm

Good day,

I have a slew of masks at my disposal and am always getting more of the same masks.

Fisher & Paykel Full face and nasal masks and nasal pillows
ResMed FFQuattro, Nasal mask, Swift nasal pillows
Resperonics Gel Comfort FFM and Nasal masks and ComfortFusion FFM and nasal mask
as well as others

I was wondering if you guys wouldn't mind letting me know what mask type brand and style you prefer so that the next time I put in an order I can get a little more variety or, a mask I don't carry. As a sleep tech I want to get my pt the best fit, and a style that my pt's are comfortable with, in hopes that it increases compliance with their therapy.

Thanks in advance for any and all of your replies.

elg5cats

Re: Which masks to carry?

Post by elg5cats » Wed May 20, 2009 11:43 pm

That Sleep Tech wrote:

I what mask type style you prefer.... As a sleep tech I want to get my pt the best fit
Keep in mind your patients, especially female, who may need smaller masks. Perhaps keeping a few extra pediatric masks in addition to the X-small or petite sized masks..........as a APAPer in need of small masks for good seal..there's greater reinforcement when there are mask choices/options and the mask is comfortable as opposed to over tightened headgear attempting to make a too big mask work.......Thanks for asking...and remember the customers you see, require empowerment and decision making involvement for medical providers to experience success....I'm convinced much of medical noncompliance is a direct result of oppositional behavior created by disempowerment.

Nighty,
elg5cats

Only competition with a Bed of Kats for improved sleep is an xPAP approved by the Kats. In Memory: KoKo Macademia KitKat 10-20-1989--May 30. 2007....Kats are purrfect role models for sleep hygiene along with 2 snuggly Tibetan Spaniels.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Thu May 21, 2009 12:05 am

This seems to be what's popular in this area. https://www.cpap.com/cpap-user-preference.php Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Pad A Cheek
Location: Virginia, In the shadow of the Blue Ridge Mountains

Post by Pad A Cheek » Thu May 21, 2009 8:39 am

Hello and Welcome That Sleep Tech,
I would like to put in my 2 cents.
The Soyala by Somnotech is my all time favorite mask. It comes in nasal and in full face. I use the Nasal, the sizing is a bit different than most masks. I usually wear a small in most other masks but with the Soyala is it a Large.

The people there at Somnotech are also a joy to work with when you need an answer.

I would say of the products I make, there are more requests for Quattro, Comfort Gel FF, Opus 360, Swift, Swift LT, OptiLife, then the Hybrid.
I hope this helps.

Karen

OldLincoln

Post by OldLincoln » Thu May 21, 2009 8:40 am

You got a permit to carry that mask, son?
ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet / F&P Simplex / DME: VA
It's going to be okay in the end; if it's not okay, it's not the end.

Babette

Post by Babette » Thu May 21, 2009 9:02 am

The Nasal Aire II, in the "all sizes" kit, and don't take the "extra" cannulas out - sell the entire kit to the patient.

I'm surprised how many DME's are reluctant to carry this, or they raid the kit and take out any but the one size the patient requested, not realizing that patients like to move between sizes to get the best fit on any given night.

https://www.cpap.com/productpage.php?PNum=2672&PAID=517

Cheers,
Barbara

I currently have a stash of Nasal Aire II cannulas in Small or Extra Small. Please PM me if you would like them. I'm interested in bartering for something strange and wonderful that I don't currently own. Or a Large size NAII cannula. :)

TXLadybug

Post by TXLadybug » Thu May 21, 2009 9:36 am

I too have a small face, and tried on masks for 4 months before finding one that actually fits. It's the Resmed Mirage Micro - in Medium. It's much smaller than the Resmed Mirage Activa LT in medium (doesn't come in a small). Sometimes it's not the nasal cushion size that's the problem.... it's the size of the frame it sits in.

ozij

Post by ozij » Thu May 21, 2009 10:16 am

Aeiomed's Headrest.

O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

Kiralynx

Post by Kiralynx » Thu May 21, 2009 10:52 am

Respironics' Comfortlite 2 -- kits come with the simple seal (nasal mask which is a cover-the-snoot) in two sizes, and with the patient's choice of either nasal pillows in two sizes or direct seals (which are a type of nasal pillow that doesn't go IN the nare). The flexibility of this mask, allowing the patient to change between kinds of mask without actually changing masks is a boon when adjusting to CPAP. I have used all three types of seals in this mask, and, depending on how I feel on a given night, may use either the small or the medium.

Aeiomed Headrest -- a new mask to me, but one which is amazingly comfortable and light. (It looks clunky, but isn't.)

One thing I can tell you -- have a variety of sizes and models. And have masks on-hand for emergencies, like nasal mask or nasal pillow users who develop a respiratory infection and need a full-face mask NOW, not in 5-7 days when you "special order" it. (I ordered on-line when not one apnea supplier in the city of New Orleans had masks in stock. They all had to be ordered, and it would take 5-7 working days. CPAP.COM had my mask to me within 19 hours of my ordering it.) For that matter, consider any of your regular customers who may have a mask break, and need a mask NOW, not in 5-7 days.

Beastie, 2008-10-28. NEW Beastie, PRS1 960, 2014-05-14. NEWER Beastie, Dream Station ASV, 2017-10-17. PadaCheek Hosecover. Homemade Brandy Keg Chin Support. TapPap Mask.
Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5

country gal

Post by country gal » Thu May 21, 2009 2:09 pm

My vote is for the Headrest, and activa masks. The activa is the most comfortable nasal mask that I have been able to find, although it does have a large footprint and is not great for people with a smaller face. The Headrest is my all time favorite mask. It is comfortable and is the first mask that I have not had to get up and adjust during the night. My leak line numbers have been great since I started using it.

S-Dubya

Post by S-Dubya » Thu May 21, 2009 2:14 pm

Hybrid - for sure!

kebsa

Post by kebsa » Fri May 22, 2009 7:17 am

i recently swapped over to the activa LT and i find that its the mask that seems to be able to hold a seal despite changing positions etc. others i had tried tended to leak and lose seal if i moved,so i would be woken up to readjust it- the activa lt just seems to hang on tight all night- to be hinest i almost expected to have visible marks on my face in the morning from what seems like a suction seal but no marks, no leaks and better nights sleep!

LinkC

Post by LinkC » Fri May 22, 2009 8:28 am

Optilife. ComfortGel FF.

Those are the two that fit me well. I have a half dozen or so others which don't. Try not to stock the ones that don't fit!

Unlike his passengers who died screaming as the car went over the cliff...

That Sleep Tech

Post by That Sleep Tech » Tue May 26, 2009 8:45 pm

Thanks everyone for your replies! I will take them all into consideration when replenishing my stock.