After 2 years, I *FINALLY* got a restful night's sleep!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
DreamStalker

Re: After 2 years, I *FINALLY* got a restful night's sleep!

Post by DreamStalker » Tue May 19, 2009 12:08 pm

schleima wrote:
forwhatyoudreamof wrote:Hey schleima, could you post up a picture of your MRD?

I'm very curious to see how it looks like.

From what I understand, dental devices like these are all slightly different in some way.
I did a quick google search and came up with some of the more popular brands like somnomed etc.

Just trying to figure out what's available here on my side of the world in Australia, and who to ask to get it from.

My ENT surgeon did say something about the possibility of looking into this in the near future, I'm still going back for review after getting my tonsils out 2 months ago and the Pillar Implants. No improvements seen on my side yet.
Sure, I'll post a pic just as soon as I can figure out how to do that Anyone care to give me a super basic primer?
Thanks for hanging around and providing updates.

Take picture. Upload to computer. Open free account with online photo album site like Photobucket.com (or other). Upload photos from your PC to your online account. Grab link and imbed into your post using IMG tag.
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

joeydan

Post by joeydan » Tue May 19, 2009 7:00 pm

I tried the TAP3 adjustable dental device and it seemed to work.I subsequently used the SPO7500 oximeter to verify the efficacy and it showed numerous desats and spo2 below 90 so I returned to the hose.My sleep study showed only mild OSA.Suggest you buy or borrow an oximeter or do another PSG to make sure the device works.

OCNorsk

Post by OCNorsk » Tue May 19, 2009 11:36 pm

I am interested in the dental device as I am still struggling after a year on CPAP. I notice that I stop breathing and am obstructed if I'm reclining and I'm WIDE AWAKE. Out of curiosity I tried pulling my jaw forward and the sensation of being blocked was gone. Obviously, I can't sleep and hold my lower jaw, so that's not an option.
I just read that dental devices can damage teeth, gums or jaw. Also not a pleasing option. Don't think I could handle tooth pain for half a day, it's bad enough having "strap pain" and a sore nose.
The dental devices are rather expensive and generally not covered by insurance, right?

Jim 'n' SC

Post by Jim 'n' SC » Wed May 20, 2009 5:29 am

My doctor uses the mouth piece and he says it works for him. The problem is it is repositioning his teeth and they are now knocking against each other when he speaks. I don't know how much of a long term problem it might be. The dental mouth pieces haven't been around long enough to be able to tell.

schleima

Post by schleima » Wed May 20, 2009 1:06 pm

joeydan wrote:I tried the TAP3 adjustable dental device and it seemed to work.I subsequently used the SPO7500 oximeter to verify the efficacy and it showed numerous desats and spo2 below 90 so I returned to the hose.My sleep study showed only mild OSA.Suggest you buy or borrow an oximeter or do another PSG to make sure the device works.
What is spo2 and what is a PSG?

I plan on getting another sleep study done after I've had a couple of weeks with the device.

Also, I forgot to say in my original post, my sleep apnea was mild to moderate, though I did have some occasionally very rough nights at home were I suspect my sleep apnea was more severe. That's the problem with the sleep studies-- they're a snapshot of one night and don't necessarily represent the full picture. And don't get me started on that idiotic Epworth sleepiness scale, which in my opinion has no connection to reality... my chances of "dozing off" doing any activity is very low simply because I am only ever comfortable enough to sleep while lying on my stomach in bed. My wife, on the other hand, can fall asleep at the drop of a feather, in cars, buses, watching TV, and yet she's a normal BMI, doesn't snore and doesn't have any observable signs of sleep apnea.

joeydan

Post by joeydan » Wed May 20, 2009 3:30 pm

I agree with your take on the Epworth scale.I was beyond sleepy, more like a zombie.PSG stands for polysomnography or sleep study and sp02 is a measurement of blood oxygen.

forwhatyoudreamof

Post by forwhatyoudreamof » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:11 am

Hey schleima, how has it been in the last month since you've been on that dental device?
Any lasting improvements?

twasbrillig

Post by twasbrillig » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:20 pm

Schleima - if you are there - do you mind my asking some nosy questions?
1) Were you prone to insomnia before you began your CPAP debacle?
2) Do you think of yourself as generally sort of hypersensitive?
3)Do you have anything like fibromyalgia or other unexplained pain syndrome?

Just curious as to why some people seem to be bothered so much by the CPAP that its benefits are eclipsed by its costs. Seems like maybe some folks are just inclined to have a sensitive nervous system. (Me, perhaps)

How is the dental device going? Maybe you should start a new thread about dental devices, so all the folks who were curious could hear a little more.
Why does everyone else post cutesy avatars, and I'm the only one who posts a picture of myself?

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:32 pm

schleima wrote:My wife, on the other hand, can fall asleep at the drop of a feather, in cars, buses, watching TV, and yet she's a normal BMI, doesn't snore and doesn't have any observable signs of sleep apnea.
You might want to suggest, encourage, prod, push, whatever-it-takes, to get your wife to have a sleep study herself. Seriously. ( PSG = polysomnogram = "sleep study." )
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

K Shine

Post by K Shine » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:46 am

Jim 'n' SC wrote:My doctor uses the mouth piece and he says it works for him. The problem is it is repositioning his teeth and they are now knocking against each other when he speaks. I don't know how much of a long term problem it might be. The dental mouth pieces haven't been around long enough to be able to tell.

Be careful with the dental device guys. I found that is started losing it's effectiveness through weeks/months. So I took it upon myself to adjust it so that the lower jaw comes out more to open my airway more. I now have a permanent underbite. My lower jaw comes out more than my upper. Which is odd considering I used to have an OVERbite. If you DO go with the dental appliance, make sure NOT to adjust it too much. Hopefully you will still achieve SOME good results. Good luck.