OT..Once more..Alaska trip advice please!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
SleepyRose

OT..Once more..Alaska trip advice please!

Post by SleepyRose » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:13 am

We were wondering if we should take travelers checks, cash, or use plastic? The trip itself is paid for but we'll need walking around money. Souveniers, eats, side trips etc. We'll be gone a month so we want to make sure we have enough. Any suggestions? Thanks guys!

Pad A Cheek
Location: Virginia, In the shadow of the Blue Ridge Mountains

Re: OT..Once more..Alaska trip advice please!

Post by Pad A Cheek » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:19 am

That sounds like heaven.
Can I come too?

Karen

SleepyRose

Post by SleepyRose » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:48 am

PADACHEEK wrote:That sounds like heaven.
Can I come too?

Karen
I know it, I cant wait! Sure you can come!

OutaSync

Post by OutaSync » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:25 pm

You won't need any cash on board. You have to register a credit card before boarding and all charges you may incur for alcohol, mssages, etc. will be charged to your onboard account. Off ship it's easiest to use your creit card. Take a small amount of cash for tips and small items. There are banks and ATMs everywhere and even the natives speak English so you won't have any trouble getting around.

You may want to call your credit card company and let them know where you are going. Traveling to Spain one time with my brother, his creidt card company put a hold on his card when the unusual charge came in from Spain. He couldn't use his card for the rest of the trip and didn't know why it wouldn't work. Which reminds me, he never paid me back for the money I lent him.

Sleep Study Titrated to 19 cm H2O
Rotating between Activa and Softgel
11/2/07 RemStar M Series Auto with AFlex 14-17
10/17/08 BiPAP Auto SV 13/13-23, BPM Auto, AHI avg <1

SleepyRose

Post by SleepyRose » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:01 pm

OutaSync wrote:You won't need any cash on board. You have to register a credit card before boarding and all charges you may incur for alcohol, mssages, etc. will be charged to your onboard account. Off ship it's easiest to use your creit card. Take a small amount of cash for tips and small items. There are banks and ATMs everywhere and even the natives speak English so you won't have any trouble getting around.

You may want to call your credit card company and let them know where you are going. Traveling to Spain one time with my brother, his creidt card company put a hold on his card when the unusual charge came in from Spain. He couldn't use his card for the rest of the trip and didn't know why it wouldn't work. Which reminds me, he never paid me back for the money I lent him.

I was just reading about the tipping issue. Which do you recommend, automatic or at the end? Do they give you enveloped with ppls names on them? So confusing!!!

If I had all the money MY brother never paid back I could buy my own Cruise Line.

Hose_Head

Post by Hose_Head » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:56 pm

OutaSync wrote:You won't need any cash on board. You have to register a credit card before boarding and all charges you may incur for alcohol, mssages, etc. will be charged to your onboard account. Off ship it's easiest to use your creit card. Take a small amount of cash for tips and small items. There are banks and ATMs everywhere and even the natives speak English so you won't have any trouble getting around.

All good advice!

I would add: take two credit cards on separate accounts. Keep them separate so that if you lose one, the other will still be safe. Another option is to take a few hundred in traveller's checks. They're secure and work as a great backup should crisis hit.

I'm Canadian with relatives (wife's side of family) in the USA. I travel cross-border several times per year. I always use credit cards first, and ATM's to get whatever cash that I need.
I'm workin' on it.

Bearded_One

Post by Bearded_One » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:31 pm

Credit cards and ATMs are great. If you have to pay ATM fees, don't take several small ATM withdrawals, it is cheaper to take a few large withdrawals. Make sure that you always have at least a couple of hundred dollars cash in case you have a credit card or ATM issue. I have been to Caribbean islands that have had data problems that caused all of the ATMs on the island to die -- it also happened here in Northern Virginia after a hurricane went though.

Don't forget to take a cheap 12 foot extension cord for your CPAP.

junie

Post by junie » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:48 pm

Have a great time,

Additional Comments: Pressure #11, FF. mask Flexifit 431 & 432, also Mirage Swift ll Nasal Pillow,
Judy

OutaSync

Post by OutaSync » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:11 pm

[quote="SleepyRose

I was just reading about the tipping issue. Which do you recommend, automatic or at the end? Do they give you enveloped with ppls names on them? So confusing!!!

If I had all the money MY brother never paid back I could buy my own Cruise Line. [/quote]

I just let them do the automatic tip on the cruise. It makes it so much easier. I meant small bills for tipping porters and cab drivers, off ship.

My brother spreads out his borrowing amongst all of us. If we pooled it all together we could all go on a reunion cruise.

Sleep Study Titrated to 19 cm H2O
Rotating between Activa and Softgel
11/2/07 RemStar M Series Auto with AFlex 14-17
10/17/08 BiPAP Auto SV 13/13-23, BPM Auto, AHI avg <1

Post by Guest » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:08 pm

Don't forget to exchange your money for Alaskan dollars!!!!!

Hehe just kidding.....we always get a few tourists (from the US) who ask, "Do you take American dollars?". I always smile politely and say "No sorry we only take Alaskan money", just to make them sweat a little.

AKCPAPGUY

Enjoy your trip to America's last frontier!!!!