OT North To Alaska! (actually it's west:)

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
SleepyRose

OT North To Alaska! (actually it's west:)

Post by SleepyRose » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:30 am

I noticed that there are some "Cruisers" here on the board. We'll be taking a cruise to Alaska in May and I wondered about Cell Phone reception on the ship. Is there any or should we rely on email? Cell Phone reception on land in Alaska?

Is there a charge to use the internet on a ship?

We've been going back and forth about how many clothes to take, how many suitcases, winter jackets or spring jackets with layers underneath, hiking boots or sneakers.......the list goes on and on.

Any tips would be MORE than welcome. We're new at this, it's our first cruise (and probably last the way the economy is going.)

Thanks

OutaSync

Re: OT North To Alaska! (actually it's west:)

Post by OutaSync » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:46 pm

I loved my Alaskan cruise with my grandson. Prepare for it to be cold. You will want to stand on the deck and it's always windy and cold. I took a windbreaker and sweat jacket and ended up having to buy a heavier one in Ketchican because it was rainy and cold. That was in August. But you will not want to miss the fabulous scenery of iceburgs and whales, so bring warm clothes! A school of dolphins swam beside us. It was awesome! If you get a chance to take the train along the old gold rush trail, do it! It was so worth it. Stand outside on the balcony of the train for a fantastic view.

About the phones. My brother and his wife who went with us had this this brilliant idea of using cell phones to talk to each other throughout the cruise. When we separated into groups, we each took a cell phone. The phones worked well on ship and in Alaska. But they got a humungous phone bill when they got back. And I mean thousands of dollars!!! So, better check with your carrier about roaming rates. Next time, I'm going to take a good set of walkie talkies.

Call the cruise line ahead of time and they can arrange to have distilled water waiting for you in your room. And don't forget to bring an extension cord. Holland America and Celebrity provided those for me, too, but you never know, so bring one just in case.

Have a great time!!

Bev

Sleep Study Titrated to 19 cm H2O
Rotating between Activa and Softgel
11/2/07 RemStar M Series Auto with AFlex 14-17
10/17/08 BiPAP Auto SV 13/13-23, BPM Auto, AHI avg <1

SleepyRose

Post by SleepyRose » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:11 pm

Wow! Thanks so much! Thats not what we need........thousands of $$$ in phone bills.

Im also glad you mentioned the warm jacket thing, we've been going round and round about that one. They take up so much room in a suitcase but I dont want to be cold and miserable either.

Our travel agent said that things are much more expensive there so I dont want to have to buy too much. I dont know how anywhere could be more expensive than here in NY. If it weren't for family, we'd be in Pa in a heartbeat.

plr66

Post by plr66 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:39 am

I never pack a heavy jacket, as it would take up half of my luggage. Wear it when you board the plane and then put it in the overhead.
DeVilbiss IntelliPap Std Plus with Smartflex; Transcend miniCPAP & Everest2 w/humidifier & batt for travel. UltraMirage FFM; PadACheeks; PaPillow. Using straight CPAP at 13.0/passover humidifier. AHI consistently < 1.5. Began CPAP 9/4/08.

Paul56

Post by Paul56 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:04 am

Where are you boarding? ...Vancouver Canada?

If so, try to show up a few days in advance to enjoy Vancouver & surroundings. At least take the day trip up to Whistler and one over to Victoria. Try to have a meal at the "Spaghetti Factory" in Gas Town... if you like pasta. Walk around Stanley Park... if nothing else do the perimeter walk around the shoreline.

SleepyRose

Post by SleepyRose » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:39 am

Paul56 wrote:Where are you boarding? ...Vancouver Canada?

If so, try to show up a few days in advance to enjoy Vancouver & surroundings. At least take the day trip up to Whistler and one over to Victoria. Try to have a meal at the "Spaghetti Factory" in Gas Town... if you like pasta. Walk around Stanley Park... if nothing else do the perimeter walk around the shoreline.
Yup, Vancouver and we'll be there for 2 days so we can do some sightseeing. I really can't wait!