Should I buy an S8 Elite II with humidifier?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
lindalrc

Should I buy an S8 Elite II with humidifier?

Post by lindalrc » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:45 am

I have a Respironics Remstar M series with CFlex and humidifier. I do not like traveling with it. Don't like the brick and don't like how bulky it is in a carryon suitcase. I have figured out how to separate it from the humidifier and that may make it pack more efficiently. But, I am thinking the S8 Elite II with designed-to-be-detached humidifier might be better. I have no real data access right now, but have not seemed to need it. If I squawk, I am 95% sure I can get that changed. I also understand that the data capability of the S8 is better. Comments please. (Have had CPAP for 16 months, my husband has been on since 1994).
Thanks,
Lindalrc

Slinky

Re: Should I buy an S8 Elite II with humidifier?

Post by Slinky » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:20 am

If you've had the Respironics for 16 months you are almost guaranteed your insurance isn't going to pay for an Elite II and your local DME supplier isn't going to exchange it for an Elite II. It would be a great financial loss for them to do so.

IF you are willing to buy the Elite out of pocket by all means do so!!! I was started on the Resmed S8 Elite w/EPR and it is a great device. Good therapy and the fully data capable Resmeds, which the S8 Elite and S8 Elite IIs are, can't be beat for ease of access to and amount of data via available via the LCD screen. I've not had any experience w/the Resmed S8 IIs but those that have them have been very happy w/them. And you are right, they are 1 lb lighter when traveling than the M Series and there are only the three components: CPAP, humidifier and humidifier tank. When I was switched to a bi-level I insisted on staying w/a Resmed device and have the Resmed VPAP Auto. I did buy a Respironics pre-M Series as a back up as I just wouldn't be able to afford to buy a Resmed bi-level out of pocket and Respironics bi-levels are readily available, altho it did take me sometime to find a pre-M Series as I didn't want an M Series.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

SheZAAM!

Post by SheZAAM! » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:53 am

I got the S8 Elite II on Craigslist for $200, brand new! Check there. There's deals out there!

lindalrc

Post by lindalrc » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:01 pm

I do plan to buy this myself. I am on Medicare and Medigap and am CERTAIN they won't cover it. Am happy with what I have, just hate travelling with it. Just am wondering if people think it is worth while.

alnhwrd

Post by alnhwrd » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:26 pm

I have the Elite and I like it. Mine came with a great carrying case that packs everything up nicely. I don't know if its accurate to say that the Elite provides the best data, but I think that the Resmeds provide the easiest access to data. Each morning I push and hold two buttons to read my nightly average pressure, leak, AHI, AI and HI. The Elite II has Easy Breathe, which is even better than C-flex or EPR I am told. I think they are good machines.