But....

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Kiralynx

But....

Post by Kiralynx » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:58 pm

But me no buts... lasinoh obviously works for nare sealing and pain.

But what's a good alternative if you are allergic as h-ll to lanolin?

Beastie, 2008-10-28. NEW Beastie, PRS1 960, 2014-05-14. NEWER Beastie, Dream Station ASV, 2017-10-17. PadaCheek Hosecover. Homemade Brandy Keg Chin Support. TapPap Mask.
Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5

plr66

Re: But....

Post by plr66 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:16 pm

Kira, I just used skin lotion with Aloe (Aveeno) several times a day in the beginning when my nares felt raw. Helped a lot and quickly. For sealing, some say to use Ayr gel. But I found it too slippery, and had trouble keeping the seal with it.
DeVilbiss IntelliPap Std Plus with Smartflex; Transcend miniCPAP & Everest2 w/humidifier & batt for travel. UltraMirage FFM; PadACheeks; PaPillow. Using straight CPAP at 13.0/passover humidifier. AHI consistently < 1.5. Began CPAP 9/4/08.

Zoot

Post by Zoot » Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:42 pm

Ayr's Nasal Saline Gel.
Madness take its toll, please have exact change.

whatrdreamsmadeof

Post by whatrdreamsmadeof » Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:15 pm

Whenever I experience soreness, I use a chapstick that I keep just for those rare occassions.

Kiralynx

Post by Kiralynx » Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:48 pm

Right, an aloe gel is what I've been using, and I no longer have the sore nares... gotten used to the direct seals. But I do occasionally have tiny little leaks right over my upper lip which are just annoying enough to wake me up. Doesn't usually take my leak rate out of the controlled zone... but I feel better the lower my rate is within that zone.

Beastie, 2008-10-28. NEW Beastie, PRS1 960, 2014-05-14. NEWER Beastie, Dream Station ASV, 2017-10-17. PadaCheek Hosecover. Homemade Brandy Keg Chin Support. TapPap Mask.
Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:23 pm

... I've found that Ayr Saline Nasal Gel not only heals but tends to leave my skin a bit "sticky" so that my mask seals better. But I tend to use just a little of the Ayr's and spread just a thin layer that quickly absorbs into the skin.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

blogginsjoe

Post by blogginsjoe » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:15 pm

A product you may wish to consider. Reading your case I can't quite determine if it is the nares that are being irritated or your nose itself. However, if I'm correct in believing that your problem exists within the nares of the nose, I could recommend a product that has worked for me. Although I'm a beginner and still on different trials it was told to me that I could use this product and get the necessary results. It seems to have worked and is not greasy and doesn't leave a film of any kind. The product you may want to consider is called SECARIS (is lubricant nasal gel) and comes in a tube. It is a clear gel and very easy to apply with no residual. This product is made in Canada. Website: http://www.pharmascience.com

Hope it works for you.

SaltLakeJan

Post by SaltLakeJan » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:25 pm

Hi Kira,
When I saw my sleep dr. last he gave me the name of two products for sore nares. RoEzIt is a product made by LouSal Enterprises, 1-800-950-5185. It is a non-petroleum emollient, with Aloe Vera,. Emu Oil, Vit A & E. He just gave me the name of the 2nd product, Nose Better. Said he recommended both & would probably find them on the Internet. My local drug store didn't carry them.

I have used both Ayr gel and the Saline Mist. Like the Mist, but the gel dried out so quickly, I didn''t use it again. I tried Aveeno and Olive Oil without success. Have you ever used Cocoa Butter? I checked it on the internet, and still don't know if it should be used in nares. The blurb did say it was a pure product. I also considered shea butter,but the information said it is easily contaminated. I did get the Lansinoh, it coats my nares, but if it is supposed to heal them, it isn't doing it very fast.

My best to you.

Jan

Kiralynx

Post by Kiralynx » Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:59 pm

Slinky wrote:... I've found that Ayr Saline Nasal Gel not only heals but tends to leave my skin a bit "sticky" so that my mask seals better. But I tend to use just a little of the Ayr's and spread just a thin layer that quickly absorbs into the skin.
OK, that's one vote for "leaves skin a bit sticky so the mask seals better" and one vote for "leaves skin too slick for a seal."

Hmm. This is beginning to sound like the Search for a Perfect Mask on a micro level....

Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5

Kiralynx

Post by Kiralynx » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:02 pm

blogginsjoe wrote:The product you may want to consider is called SECARIS (is lubricant nasal gel) and comes in a tube. It is a clear gel and very easy to apply with no residual. This product is made in Canada. Website: http://www.pharmascience.com.
I'll check it out. Actually, neither my nose nor my nares are specifically sore at this juncture. I just get odd micro-leaks which wake me up.

Last edited by Kiralynx on Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-- Kiralynx
Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5

Kiralynx

Post by Kiralynx » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:09 pm

SaltLakeJan wrote:When I saw my sleep dr. last he gave me the name of two products for sore nares. RoEzIt is a product made by LouSal Enterprises, 1-800-950-5185. It is a non-petroleum emollient, with Aloe Vera,. Emu Oil, Vit A & E. He just gave me the name of the 2nd product, Nose Better. Said he recommended both & would probably find them on the Internet. My local drug store didn't carry them.
OK, CPAP.Com carries the Roezit.

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/CPAP-M ... oEzIt.html

And I think I've tried it.... Guess I better dig that tube out again. I put it away after my nares healed and flat forgot all about it. "Space... the final frontier... it's in between my ears...."

No, and my local drugstore didn't carry anything like that when I checked, either. You'd think, considering how many of us there are, that our supplies would be more common.

Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5

WearyOne

Post by WearyOne » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:14 pm

It's amazing how those little tiny leaks can be so irritating!! Little tiny leak blowing a wisp of cold air. That kind of thing can wake me up so easily!

Kiralynx

Post by Kiralynx » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:27 pm

WearyOne wrote:It's amazing how those little tiny leaks can be so irritating!! Little tiny leak blowing a wisp of cold air. That kind of thing can wake me up so easily!
Drives me bonkers, it does!

I have enough trouble when the mask blast hits one of the Dachshund Duo between the ears and they hop up and try to wash my face in protest... now, if it hits my HUSBAND, he just rolls over and pulls the sheet over his head.

Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5

riverdreamer

Post by riverdreamer » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:10 pm

I haven't tried this, but my sleep doctor suggested something like chapstick to help with a seal. I have some health food store types that do not contain petroleum products that might work, but I haven't used them for that, just my lips. Some might contain lanolin, so if you react, make sure you check.

I have used the Ayre gel, and find it helps the dry nostrils, but makes the seal less secure. I also had some samples of Roezit from the DME, and it is slightly stickier, but it seems to absorb into the skin kind of fast. I'm thinking the chapstick kind of solution might be intended to stay on the surface more like the lanolin would, at least I know it does on my lips. FWIW

ozij

Post by ozij » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:40 pm

A tights strap for that tiny bit of extra stabilization needed to control those sleep disrupting micro leaks?

O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023