Actual time between filter change ??

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
luke

Re: Actual time between filter change ??

Post by luke » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:53 am

I just washed my reusable filter last night after about 6 weeks of use. Nothing seemed to be in it but I cleaned it anyway.
I think the DME's recommend changing them out to get more money (surprise surprise ).
I belong to a forum that is into car maintenance and the consensus there concerning engine air filters (same principle as
our little cpap machines) is that as the filter ages it actually gets more efficient due to the dirt particles actually blocking
more dirt particles and so on. The filter gets more efficient blocking dirt as it ages however there's a pressure drop which
of course we dont want with our cpap's.
Just wanted to throw that out there...my .02....or .01

Bill

chaser2009

Post by chaser2009 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:58 pm

Gerryk wrote:I check it about once every week or two and it seems to be clean the washable one every three weeks and replace the white throw away at that time. I am sure when the weather warms up and the windows are open the time in between will become shorter. I do have an air filter in the bedroom three feet from my machine.

Gerry
i will your make the same like you i think this might help in reducing time in cleaning or checking my air filter and have more with my family.,.

WearyOne

Post by WearyOne » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:46 pm

I wash my black filter every other week and replace the white one as needed, which is usually once a month. I have about five of the black ones, so it's quick to make the change.

nobody

Post by nobody » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:35 am

I wash the washable one when I think of it, maybe once every couple months I guess. I change the fine filter every month during the spring and summer, but in the fall and winter I let it go longer.

slapmeawake

Post by slapmeawake » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:28 am

Where does the white filter even go? No one has ever shown or explained to me. I know where the gray one is because you can see it on the back of the machine.

BeanMeScot

Post by BeanMeScot » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:09 am

I've had my machine since Oct and have yet to change out the foam filter. I do wash it every week. The fine filter does get dirty in about 3 weeks so I bought a bunch on Ebay. I did an order with my DME after I had met my deductible and they said I could order twice a year under insurance. They sent me 2 fine filters . I don't get that. They tell you to replace them every 4 weeks but a 6 month supply is 2? Anyway, it's on my dime now.

SharkBait
Location: Texas -- the ugly part... El Paso? No, not quite THAT ugly...

Post by SharkBait » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:13 am

slapmeawake wrote:Where does the white filter even go? No one has ever shown or explained to me. I know where the gray one is because you can see it on the back of the machine.
It goes in the same place right before the gray one. There's a little tab that will bend so you can get it back our easier.

Encore Pro 1.8.49; Encore Pro Analyzer 0.8.9 by James Skinner
SnuggleHose - Got the 8 foot and cut it down to 6, used the rest for mask hoses.
Memory Foam Pillow - Cut my own out of my Tempur-pedic pillow. (works great!)
Hose Mgmt - Velcro Tie Strap

nobody

Post by nobody » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:42 pm

slapmeawake wrote:Where does the white filter even go? No one has ever shown or explained to me. I know where the gray one is because you can see it on the back of the machine.

Put the white one in then put the grey one in on top of it. The white one is optional that's probably why no one showed you. No one showed me either.

slapmeawake

Post by slapmeawake » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:21 pm

Oh, ok thanks. Just goes to show how crappy the DME service is. They just handed me the machine and sent me on my way. YOu people are awesome!!!!!!!!!

Hoover

Post by Hoover » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:00 am

I change the white one every 3-4 weeks. I can SMELL when it needs to be changed. I wash the grey one at the same time. Bought extras online b/c insurance only covers 1/month.

Scary thing - when I went on vacation (for 2 weeks) I had changed the white filter right before leaving and while in Casablanca, Morocco I noticed a paint smell when I put the mask on on night #2 and the previously white filter was totally black with gunk, by way far the dirtiest I've ever seen it. I tried washing it to no avail and just removed it and washed the grey one daily.

Jason S.

Post by Jason S. » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:09 am

Just bought a 4-pack for 9 bucks. The heck with washing em.

Additional Comments: Max pressure set at 15cm

nobody

Post by nobody » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:37 am

You're not supposed to wash the white ones.
Hoover wrote:I change the white one every 3-4 weeks. I can SMELL when it needs to be changed. I wash the grey one at the same time. Bought extras online b/c insurance only covers 1/month.

Scary thing - when I went on vacation (for 2 weeks) I had changed the white filter right before leaving and while in Casablanca, Morocco I noticed a paint smell when I put the mask on on night #2 and the previously white filter was totally black with gunk, by way far the dirtiest I've ever seen it. I tried washing it to no avail and just removed it and washed the grey one daily.

Hoover

Post by Hoover » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:06 am

nobody wrote:You're not supposed to wash the white ones.

[/quote]

I'm very well aware that you're not supposed to wash the white ones but as I was in a place where I could not get a replacement I tried to wash it out of desperation. I certainly wouldn't do that at home.

Babette

Post by Babette » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:24 am

Thanks for reinforcing my new plan of bringing extra filters with me when I travel.

1 for each day I'm gone won't break me. It's a short trip. Better safe than sorry.

Cheers,
B.

I currently have a stash of Nasal Aire II cannulas in Small or Extra Small. Please PM me if you would like them. I'm interested in bartering for something strange and wonderful that I don't currently own. Or a Large size NAII cannula. :)