Any travel tips for driving trip?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Jason S.

Any travel tips for driving trip?

Post by Jason S. » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:38 am

Driving to Atlantic City next weekend. So far I've got an extension cord, bottle for distilled water and my own pillow. Am I forgetting anything?

Additional Comments: Max pressure set at 15cm

DreamStalker

Re: Any travel tips for driving trip?

Post by DreamStalker » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:21 am

Don't forget the machine, HH, mask, and hose.

Also if you have special hose routing needs ... something for that.
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

Bonnie corgi lover

Post by Bonnie corgi lover » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:32 am

Maybe I'm paranoid, but I also take a checklist of all the "pieces." I'm afraid I might leave something behind, like the cord. You have to take everything apart to pack it up. I've got the machine, humidifier, plug/cord, extension cord, hose, mask, headgear, Hose Boss, water bottle, pillow, log book and PurSleep kit. It's a lot to keep up with.

Paul56

Post by Paul56 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:43 am

Jason S. wrote:Driving to Atlantic City next weekend. So far I've got an extension cord, bottle for distilled water and my own pillow. Am I forgetting anything?
Yes you are missing stuff.

Mask, hose, machine and power cord.

If it was me ( being paranoid like I am ) I would have 2 containers of distilled water in case one broke and dumped the contents along the way.

EDIT:
Oh wait, don't forget your spare supplies in case something breaks. Might need to get a trailer hitch for the xPAP trailer to bring everything required.

Oh wait again, what about a spare backup power source like a generator... okay... I've slipped over the edge now.

Georgio

Post by Georgio » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:50 am

Make sure your humidifier tank is bone dry before you move/pack your unit.

What about Angelina and the kids?
M-Series W/Aflex, Swift LT, Encoreviewer

Babette

Post by Babette » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:22 pm

JUST IN CASE, bring along enough extra fine filters and at least one extra grey foam filter, to last every night of the trip. You might be sleeping in strange smelling places.

I don't bother bringing along distilled water. I just use tap water and clean the humidifier chamber thoroughly when I get home, to combat any lime scale. Since you'll probably be dumping and drying the chamber every morning, no real worry about bacterial growth in tap water.

Also, bring along some Pur-Sleep and a pad. I find I don't need to drag along the pretty ceramic dish - I just set the pad on the furniture and it's fine. You may find you'll need more than the usual dose, if the motel smells bad.

When in a motel room that doesn't have a great nightstand setup, I take the little tray that they put the coffee maker on, and set that on the floor, and set the machine on that. It works well, and keeps the "carpet smell" out of the machine.

In fact, I do that every weekend at my BF's house. I went out and bought a plastic cutting board, and just set that on the floor and the machine and PurSleep pad on that.

Have fun!
Babs

I currently have a stash of Nasal Aire II cannulas in Small or Extra Small. Please PM me if you would like them. I'm interested in bartering for something strange and wonderful that I don't currently own. Or a Large size NAII cannula. :)

OutaSync

Post by OutaSync » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:28 pm

Don't forget the Wet Wipes for all those young'uns.

(and a barf bag, if you know what I mean)

Sleep Study Titrated to 19 cm H2O
Rotating between Activa and Softgel
11/2/07 RemStar M Series Auto with AFlex 14-17
10/17/08 BiPAP Auto SV 13/13-23, BPM Auto, AHI avg <1

roster

Post by roster » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:20 pm

Jason S. wrote:Driving to Atlantic City next weekend. So far I've got an extension cord, bottle for distilled water and my own pillow. Am I forgetting anything?
Bring whatever you don't mind spending. A few hundred bucks will usually last awhile at $5-$10 a hand, but sometimes you'll lose that in an hour (or less). If you happen to lose it too fast, you can always just hang around, drop a 20 or two in a video poker machine (that'll last you an hour), or just watch whomever you're with play. By the time you play in your two poker tournaments and have dinner, you won't have to kill that much time playing blackjack, so just take whatever you're comfortable with losing. $550 or so will be plenty ($240 for poker, the rest for blackjack) but if you only feel like spending $100 at the blackjack table it's not like there's nothing else to do.

kopoloff

Post by kopoloff » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:30 am

If you're driving that far, suggest you have a longer extension cord.

best you have tinted windows - easier to sleep

K

Ms Piggy

Post by Ms Piggy » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:12 am

I always ask to see the room before I accept it, gives you chance to check it out from your cpap point of view - could be the best placed plug isn't working or whatever, but if travelling in your own country, of course, things are more standardized so it should be ok, but it doesn't hurt to check anyway.

Paul56

Post by Paul56 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:28 am

Ms Piggy wrote:I always ask to see the room before I accept it, gives you chance to check it out from your cpap point of view - could be the best placed plug isn't working or whatever, but if travelling in your own country, of course, things are more standardized so it should be ok, but it doesn't hurt to check anyway.
Yes!!! Absolutely.

I have driven across Canada a few times... always made reservations and always requested NON-smoking rooms.

So I arrive late one evening at the place where I had a reservation, go up to the room and discover it reeks of smoke. I go back down to the desk and complain. The response "Well you showed up late and you made your reservation through the 800 number"

What a lame excuse.

LinkC

Post by LinkC » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:57 am

If you take the Interstate you won't need ANY of that equipment. Just sleep with your head sticking out of the car window into the slipstream. You'll get plenty of positive airway pressure! And mouth-breathing will be a PLUS.

Probably ought to let someone else drive tho...

Unlike his passengers who died screaming as the car went over the cliff...

S-Dubya

Post by S-Dubya » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:01 am

I have started taking a surge protector with me for 2 reasons. 1) I often find that in some hotels electrical outlets can be scarce. 2) To protect my gear.

Have fun and remember - "Winner! Winner! Chicken dinner!"

Jason S.

Post by Jason S. » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:16 am

Georgio wrote:
What about Angelina and the kids?
Forget her. She can stay home with those rugrats. At 32, she's getting a bit long in the tooth anyway. She may have to go the same route as Jennifer. Could be time to trade up for a new set of wheels, and AC is the perfect place to start.

Additional Comments: Max pressure set at 15cm