Advice - Caribbean - Humidifier needed?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Fredman

Advice - Caribbean - Humidifier needed?

Post by Fredman » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:46 pm

I will be headed out this January on a Carribbean cruise and wondered if I will need to bring my Respironics integrated humidifier or if I should leave home. I actually haven't checked to see what kind of humidity levels, but the islands probably have high humidity? Earlier posts, indicate that cruise lines have supplied distilled water for those requiring it...but with the heat and humidity it seems a hassle to take the humidifier with me.

Experiences anyone?

Cheers!

hobbs

Re: Advice - Caribbean - Humidifier needed?

Post by hobbs » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:52 pm

I assume your room will have AC? If you do not plan to sleep outside, bring the humidifier.

Fredman

Post by Fredman » Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:04 pm

Good point, AC will draw humidity out of the air. I guess the Scout's motto applies here..."always be prepared".

Cheers!

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:43 pm

I took a cruise to the Caribbean last Feb. Thought I could do without packing the humidifier. Did I ever regret not having the humidifier!!! Stinging, burning nostrils and stuffy nose. As hobbs pointed out, even in the tropics, sleeping in an air conditioned room (cabin) means that if you normally need heated humidification with your cpap at home, you'll need it there too.

Have fun!
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

wongnog

Post by wongnog » Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:53 pm

What a timely topic, going to the Dominican in jan and was wondering the same thing. I'll be staying at a resort that should have AC, plus i've only been using cpap for a week, so not sure what i can do without. But guess i better be safe than sorry and bring it. Just wondering tho, would bottled water be ok for my humididier? No distilled at this resort i think

cpapqueen1

Post by cpapqueen1 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:40 pm

Make sure you empty the chmaber before housekeeping comes in! I've seeb too many where the housekeeper picks up the unit to dust the nightstand and flodds the unit. You'll also need an exrtension cord!

Fredman

Post by Fredman » Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:15 pm

cpapqueen1 wrote:Make sure you empty the chmaber before housekeeping comes in! I've seeb too many where the housekeeper picks up the unit to dust the nightstand and flodds the unit. You'll also need an exrtension cord!
That is excellent advice, I would have never thought of that!

Cheers!

kteague

Post by kteague » Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:39 pm

Interpretation: Ok, so you're going on a cruise while the midwest states will socked in with cold and snow. I'm green with envy, and embarrassed to admite I've never been on a cruise. From what others are saying, you'll be sorry if you leave behind that humidifier. But anyway, I'm happy for you. Don't forget your sunglasses. And your sunscreen or you'll come back looking like a lobster. By the way, I hear that what happens on a cruise stays on the cruise.

Fredman

Post by Fredman » Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:00 am

kteague wrote::roll:

Interpretation: Ok, so you're going on a cruise while the midwest states will socked in with cold and snow. I'm green with envy, and embarrassed to admite I've never been on a cruise. From what others are saying, you'll be sorry if you leave behind that humidifier. But anyway, I'm happy for you. Don't forget your sunglasses. And your sunscreen or you'll come back looking like a lobster. By the way, I hear that what happens on a cruise stays on the cruise.
Thanks! This is our first cruise. I have been wanting to do this for years. The price was right and I had booked a year out from when we leave and made payments in installments. I don't think it's something I could afford each year. Although the next one if we like cruising, will be paid by airmiles.

We have plenty of snow and it's cold here -30 celsius (-28 F) At least we didn't get as much snow as Ontario and Wisconsin!

Well I guess I will be bringing my humidifier and my wife, imagine what kind of trouble I can get into with those two! Marilyn Monroe sang "Steam Heat" oh boy!

Cheers!

OutaSync

Post by OutaSync » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:52 pm

I just got back, last night, from a 10 day Caribbean cruise. If you notify the cruise line they will provide you with a gallon of distilled water. Both Holland America and Celebrity have also provided me with an extension courd (without my even asking for one, but because they knew I would need one with a CPAP). I dumped my humidifier each morning before leaving the room and used less than half of my gallon in 10 days. I keep my HH on 1. If you are used to hanging you hose over your head, don't forget to bring a big clip and hair scrunchie to clip to the curtain and hold your hose over your head. For an inside room with no curtains, bring a big suction cup hook to stick to the mirror overhead. Surge protector is also recommended.

Have a great time!

Bev

Sleep Study Titrated to 19 cm H2O
Rotating between Activa and Softgel
11/2/07 RemStar M Series Auto with AFlex 14-17
10/17/08 BiPAP Auto SV 13/13-23, BPM Auto, AHI avg <1

Fredman

Post by Fredman » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:54 pm

OutaSync wrote:I just got back, last night, from a 10 day Caribbean cruise. If you notify the cruise line they will provide you with a gallon of distilled water. Both Holland America and Celebrity have also provided me with an extension courd (without my even asking for one, but because they knew I would need one with a CPAP). I dumped my humidifier each morning before leaving the room and used less than half of my gallon in 10 days. I keep my HH on 1. If you are used to hanging you hose over your head, don't forget to bring a big clip and hair scrunchie to clip to the curtain and hold your hose over your head. For an inside room with no curtains, bring a big suction cup hook to stick to the mirror overhead. Surge protector is also recommended.

Have a great time!

Bev
Thanks Outasync for the great idea and suggestions! I just picked up my tickets from the Travel Agent and she called Carnival and was told I should bring my power strip. She the TA said that I should use bottled water...that might be passable, but I do prefer distilled. I am going to call Carnival myself. I don't mind bringing my own power strip, but I would like distilled water.

Restedgal and others for your information as well. I am certainly bringing my humidifier!

Cheers!

JeffH

Post by JeffH » Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:40 pm

I made a sign that said, "do not move this machine" in big letters and left it on top of my machine when we went to NOLA earlier this year. Worked for me.

JeffH

wongnog

Post by wongnog » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:35 pm

JeffH wrote:I made a sign that said, "do not move this machine" in big letters and left it on top of my machine when we went to NOLA earlier this year. Worked for me.
Good idea! I'll have to make mine in Spanish tho for the Dominican.

Hose_Head

Post by Hose_Head » Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:33 pm

wongnog wrote:
JeffH wrote:I made a sign that said, "do not move this machine" in big letters and left it on top of my machine when we went to NOLA earlier this year. Worked for me.
Good idea! I'll have to make mine in Spanish tho for the Dominican.
I just got back from the Dominican on Sunday. I was in a resort at Punta Cana. My experiences:

- take an extension cord. At least 15 ft long.
- no distilled water was available. Used bottled water supplied by the resort. It's from a reverse osmosis process so it's quite low in minerals, anyway. Just empty the HH each morning and refill each night. No problems and no residue.
- Note: do empty your HH each morning and put your cpap away someplace safe. Cleaning staff don't speak english and probably won't care if they drop or otherwise harm your CPAP.
- cleaning each day is a problem. Tap water in the resorts is not potable and it's a pain to wash up with bottled water alone. Recommend taking some citrus wipes or similar from cpap.com for this purpose.
- room was air conditioned. I used HH in passover mode.
- air travel: no problems experienced in taking cpap as a carry on. Did not count towards carry on limits. (check with YOUR airline). HOWEVER, did have a problem in Dominican when the xray screener picked up my cpap and literally tossed it into a bin. I gave him hell in no uncertain terms but I doubt he understood a word I said. Luckily, no damage was done.

Finally: Comments on health in the Dominican resorts: Watch what you eat. Their food hygiene is extremely poor. Even if you take Dukoral to vaccinate against traveller's diaherria (ecoli bacteria in the drinking water), you are still open to food poisoning from salmonella, etc in the food. Despite being very careful, my family got sick this way. The resorts just don't give a damn. ALSO: some parts of the caribean (incl Punta Cana) are labelled as high risk for malaria. While the resorts do spray for mosquitoes, they don't get them all. Take some bug spray and use it if you're out at night, even if just within the resort .

Take care and enjoy your holiday!
I'm workin' on it.

Fredman

Post by Fredman » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:23 am

Yes I checked with my TA and she called the cruise line and they advised to bring an extension cord and that I could use the bottled water as supplied. I have no problem with bottled and will empty the tank daily just to avoid spillage/damage issues.

On a cruise forum, folks on that site said their experiences on the cruise ship were good and that I could leave the unit on the night stand, but to ensure that the tank was empty...just in case of accident.

I do like the idea of passive humidification...either way I can try both ways and make adjustments.

Yeah where we are going San Juan, St. Maartin, and St. Thomas...shots were not discouraged nor encouraged. They probably don't have as much malaria or hepatitis issues...still I am going to be careful when off the ship what I eat and drink, from where and whom! Two of the three islands are US Protectorates and the last one were of French/Dutch colonial background, fairly modern and probably way tooooo touristy!

Cheers!