CPAP & Sleeping Tablets

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
EnglishEric

CPAP & Sleeping Tablets

Post by EnglishEric » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:06 am

I need advice from fellow sufferers with regard to the safety of taking sleeping tablets whilst using CPAP. Prior to being diagnosed with OSA I suffered from (and still do) Insomnia so my General Practitioner first prescribed Temazepam but very quickly changed to Nitrazepam which apparently has less hang-over affects, I have had these prescribed for some years and occasionally took them before commencing CPAP. Well, the insomnia is still a problem and two of my GP's advised me to take the Nitrazepam with CPAP saying that they are not anesthetic and that I would function quite well with the CPAP. I never quite believed that and the other day I saw a doctor on tv definitely advise against sleeping tablets with sleep apnea. So my question is simple, I need advice from my fellow sufferers who have tried this route, I would take the word of the people on this forum every time over most doctors. English Eric

Zoot

Re: CPAP & Sleeping Tablets

Post by Zoot » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:21 am

I take Sonata with no problem and my Doctor recommended it because of the apprehension of the mask.
Madness take its toll, please have exact change.

skittles

Post by skittles » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:25 am

I think that if you have sleep apnea, and do not have a CPAP machine, you definitely should not take anything to help sleep. However, having a CPAP machine, I do take something to help me sleep occasionally, and it does not cause any
problems. I have OCD and my mind does not shut off at night, so something to help fall alseep is essential to me.

Good luck

Skittles
The world is full of doubt, indeed, but fuller still of hope.

jrt

Post by jrt » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:49 am

It is best to try a new sleeping tablet on a night before a day where you do not have to worry about having to be anywhere important the next morning in case of any problems. Everyone is different on how sleep tablets work. It is best not to use the same one all of the time because the body may develop a tolerance and/or addiction to it. My uncle got so hooked that he needed two kinds of controlled subtances every night to sleep . Best to rotate when a sleep tablet is needed between a number that may work well including non-prescription ones.
When I first started cpap the sleep doctor told me to stop taking Trazadone because he said it sedated breathing and told me to take Remerom on a daily basis and slowly it would improve my quality of sleep. All the Remeron did was make me gain 15 pounds that were hard to lose .So I switched back to Trazadone and encore program did not show any increase of symptoms with Trazadone. I am a little leery about going back to this same doctor because found out a friend had this same experience with this doctor.

The two tablets you mention fall in the controlled substance range and should not be used on a regular basis. Restoril which you mentioned is a great sleeping tablet as is Ambiem but not reccomended or prescribed for daily use.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:30 am

For general sleeping problems, my GP suggested low dose amitriptyline (elavil). I took it during my first 7-10 days with the CPAP without any problems.

Julie

Post by Julie » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:42 pm

Hi, anything with "azepam" in the name is eventually addictive and possibly a depressant, even though so many are supposed to be antidepressants (of the older family of them vs today's SSRI's). Not many people use them any more here (N.Amer) for sleeping (or much else).