Anyone want to help a Canadian out?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
canuck88

Anyone want to help a Canadian out?

Post by canuck88 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:18 pm

I've been a cpap user for about 2 years now. I'm having a heck of a time lately with my nasal passages being plugged, and thus I'd like to try the Quattro full face. But all these great prices on the auction site, and 99% won't ship the masks to Canada. Anyone willing to buy one for me and then ship it up? I'd be willing to pay all the costs up front. Even paying the double shipping it will be cheaper than buying here in Canada (prices seem to be up to 300% higher)!

Scott

Wulfman

Re: Anyone want to help a Canadian out?

Post by Wulfman » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:25 pm

Do you know what size you need?
Maybe someone on the forum has one they don't want/need and could make you a deal on it.

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

One Tired Puppy

Post by One Tired Puppy » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:33 pm

canuck88 wrote:I've been a cpap user for about 2 years now. I'm having a heck of a time lately with my nasal passages being plugged, and thus I'd like to try the Quattro full face. But all these great prices on the auction site, and 99% won't ship the masks to Canada. Anyone willing to buy one for me and then ship it up? I'd be willing to pay all the costs up front. Even paying the double shipping it will be cheaper than buying here in Canada (prices seem to be up to 300% higher)!

Scott

Scott,

I'm from Ontario and I order from cpap.com. Because the quattro pro ffm is a medical item there is no tax and cpap.com uses Canada Post for delivery so you don't have to pay duty either. They are also very fast. I have the quattro pro ffm and I like it. I got mine at the dme but it was covered. The price at the dme would have been about at least 150.00 more than cpap.com.

Even with the exchange rate I agree you're still better off ordering from cpap.com. They will also match any price you find online.

Make sure you have the right measurements before ordering. I believe there is a a measuring tool online. I think it is on the ResMed site.

If you can try a quattro pro on at a dme just to get the right size you need, that would be good. I don' know though, if that is possible.

You can get insurance so that if it isn't the right size you can return it.

Anne

freepostg

Post by freepostg » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:58 am

Scott,
I'm assuming you're not covered by any type of insurance except for the initial outlay through ohip. If this is the case, you may also want to look at cpapauction.com as prices for masks may be even cheaper. I've purchased a couple of masks and a second machine through this facility. The second machine was for camp. I've found the bidding to be similar to ebay and most accept paypal. The problem however is that most sellers are from the U>S and they tend to only ship to the lower 48. You may want to contact a seller on this website before hand to see whether they are willing to ship to Canada. I happen to be 40 min. from the Minnesota border so that's not a problem. I'm assuming that you are not close to the border.
Good luck.

Last edited by freepostg on Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

sleepydoll

Post by sleepydoll » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:23 am

canuck88 wrote: Even paying the double shipping it will be cheaper than buying here in Canada (prices seem to be up to 300% higher)!
Scott
I'm in Canada too,( Québec) and I buy directly from cpap.com. If I went through my DME, the same mask would cost at least $85.00 more...
I do pay out of pocket, and just as Ann said, there is no tax, and cpap.com uses Canada Post for delivery so you don't have to pay duty either.
D.

Hawthorne

Post by Hawthorne » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:43 am

Have you contacted any of the sellers on cpapauction.com to see if they will ship to Canada? I have bought 3 masks from that site and, as you see, I am Canadian. You need to ask them if they will ship United States Postal Service to Canada. Many of them will, although it doesn't say so in their ad.

Don't buy if they won't ship USPS,as I said above. If they use a courier, you will end up with a brokerage fee and maybe even customs fee. Using the USPS, means no customs costs. Some charge way too much to ship to Canada even via the postal service. I won't bid on those either.

Cpap.com will ship for $17.00 USD via USPS (no customs, no taxes of any kind - just the exchange). If I buy a mask there, I usually pick up on extra filters and maybe other little items I might want. The shipping cost is the same. If you buy a machine it will probably cost more than $17.00 to ship. About that, I am not sure. I bought a machine online in February but from another US online supplier. You need to ask but machines are way cheaper online too if you wanted to have a backup. They will also accept an old prescription. A newer prescription is needed for a machine in Canada. Cpap.com prices on everything are way lower than Canada, as you probably know. About a year ago I found that cpap.com charged almost $200.00 less for a mask I was using at the time so, even with $17.00 shipping I saved a bundle. I've been buying most things online since then. My supplier will let me try on different masks (since I buy a few things there and bought my original machine there 6 years ago using the Provincial Gov't help). -then I can buy way cheaper online knowing my size. Cpap.com has way more mask choices than any Canadian supplier I know of so, If I want a different brand of mask not available from my supplier, I take a change on size.

My extended Health plan will not cover anything bought online but mine only pays a percentage and I pay less out of pocket just buying online anyway.

Additional Comments:  Backups- FX Nano masks. Backup machine- Airmini auto travel cpap

Bellcrest

Post by Bellcrest » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:55 am

I live in Northern Ontario and have had the same experience as Hawthorne, having purchased both from Cpap.com and cpapauction.com.

Hawthorne gives very good advice about shipping as on occasion I have been stung by duty fees when purchasing from individuals. I will continue to shop at cpap.com and cpapauction.com. I have found that if you send a message to a seller and ask about shipping to Canada most of them will respond right away. I never bid on anything until I have the facts about shipping to Canada in writing.

The prices the DME's here in Canada charge are outrageous. They do not stock any of the newer masks, just the old standbys. If I had had to depend on my DME I would never have stuck with xpap treatment.
Shirley

bigbird

Post by bigbird » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:27 pm

Hi! I am living in Quebec, I have a brand new Mirage Quattro size small unopened that I have not used, I have bought two on the auction site, I would sell it to U at a good price if it fit U! martinpy@videotron.ca

Murp

Post by Murp » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:46 pm

I'm in the same boat with no insurance. A full face mask will cost me almost $200 canadian more than the USA. Are there any extra costs involved for ground shipping to Canada from cpap.com for a full face mask?

Dave
Newfoundland,Canada

Julie

Post by Julie » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:50 pm

I've been buying from Cpap.com for years (and getting paid by my insce. up here) with no trouble at all, and no duty on the shipments as the other poster said. Why do you (think you) have a problem? btw, if your nose is stuffed up, try lowering or eliminating the humidifier.

Hawthorne

Post by Hawthorne » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:13 pm

Murp - If you buy a full face mask from cpap.com you will pay the price listed for the mask on their site plus $17.00 shipping. This will be in US dollars so there will be the exchange rate but there will be no other charges. Cpap.com ships them as "Medical Equipment" so nothing more to pay.

Julie - What company is your Extended Health coverage with?

Additional Comments:  Backups- FX Nano masks. Backup machine- Airmini auto travel cpap

Murp

Post by Murp » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:33 pm

I just got of the phone with one local supplier in St.John's,Newfoundland,Canada. They quoted me a price of $320 Can for a fisher and paykel 431 full face. Cpap.com has it list for $108 us$.

108 us $$ converted to can$$ 132
plus 21can$$ shipping
153 canadian $$ total.

Savings of 170 canadian $$.

I want to scream!!!!!!!

Hawthorne

Post by Hawthorne » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:49 pm

Murp - I know what you mean! Canadian prices are outrageous!

Paul56

Post by Paul56 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:55 pm

Hawthorne wrote:Murp - I know what you mean! Canadian prices are outrageous!
$2,038 for my setup from the DME here in Ottawa. Fortunately, I only paid $38.

DME wanted to sell me a whole bunch of stuff at the outset that included 2 hoses, 2 masks, enough filters for *several* years. I declined but would still like to pickup a spare hose and mask at some point... heck maybe even a spare machine too. Ideal would be another AutoSet but I think I will opt for something a little cheaper and more basic.

canuck88

Post by canuck88 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:08 pm

I do have full insurance (I work at a university), but I'm unsure if they'll accept cpap.com bills for reimbursement. I've ordered several masks from cpap.com, but I've never claimed them (they've always been the comfort gel, which isn't very expensive). I noticed that the auction site typically has the Quattro for 1/2 the price of cpap.com, and since I've never used one I don't want to take a chance of being out $150+shipping... rather be out $75+shipping. My DME only carries crappy masks here in Kitchener-Waterloo, so no chance of trying out the size. I wear a small in the comfort gel, so I would have to guess I would be a small or medium in the Quattro...

Thanks for all the advice so far!