Taking off mask at night?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Rusty!

Taking off mask at night?

Post by Rusty! » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:25 pm

Hi,

I have been using my CPAP for about a year but my compliance is down - I wake up enough to remove the mask and turn of the machine but not enough to remember it when I wake maskless. Any tips or ideas that have worked for you to wear it all night?

Thanks!

Re: Taking off mask at night?

Post by Guest » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:52 pm

What are you taking before bed that might cause that? Any sleep aids?

OldLincoln

Post by OldLincoln » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:19 pm

You might try convincing yourself that "if it is off your face in the morning you have to wear it all day" (without the hose) to teach yourself a lesson.
ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet / F&P Simplex / DME: VA
It's going to be okay in the end; if it's not okay, it's not the end.

THier

Post by THier » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:20 am

Hand cuffs? Kidding, I had a terrible time finding a mask I would leave on all night,, try a few, and rotate them if needed, thats what I do.

Tom

Shez

Post by Shez » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:09 am

Hi Rusty, I have had these same 'issues' since starting my therapy and other than positive thinking the main thing (another user from this awesome site suggested) that helped me is having my mask on at night while I was watching the TV, and getting used to not having the ramp on. I found I would go to sleep easily with the ramp on but as soon as the full impact hit me that mask was off, machine off and no memory from me on waking with ALOT of persistance I have improved 200% and usually wake now to put it back on . Ensure you clean it everyday cause the smell of old salivia would make the best of us take the mask off... Stay positive & Best of luck..Shez

bdp522

Post by bdp522 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:23 am

Could you post your data here? It may help us figure out what's going on.

Brenda

Rusty!

Post by Rusty! » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:34 pm

Yes, the 'guest' is perceptive. I take Lunesta and the grogginess keeps me from remembering that it needs to go back on!

Rusty!

Post by Rusty! » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:37 pm

... and I have a loaner machine, a Resmed S8 Elite for which I do not have a reader ...

Gerald

Post by Gerald » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:11 pm

Rusty......

It's my opinion that our sub-conscious mind is in control....while our conscious mind rests and rejuvenates while we're asleep.

Evidently, your sub-conscious is not convinced that your therapy is vital to your good health. It has to be convinced....otherwise, that mask is coming off.

Also, did I understand that when you take the mask off...you ALSO turn the machine off? Why? Is it for a bathroom break?

Gerald

OldLincoln

Post by OldLincoln » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:27 pm

I know a few folks who take Ambien and find dirty dishes on the counter in the morning and stains on their shirt but swear they didn't get up in the night. I know when I return from a bathroom run if I don't put the mask on I'll fall asleep without it.
ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet / F&P Simplex / DME: VA
It's going to be okay in the end; if it's not okay, it's not the end.

Rusty!

Post by Rusty! » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:33 pm

Gerald, the reason I believe I turn off the machine is to stop the noise of the air and of the "hey your mask is off" alarm. Putting it on sooner (rather than waiting until the Lunesta is kicking in) sounds like a good plan to try. Thanks for your thoughtful responses.

Rusty

Gerald

Post by Gerald » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:58 pm

Rusty......

I don't think putting the mask on earlier will make any difference.

The fact that you "turn off" your M-Series is telling me that your non-conscious (sub-conscious) is definitely in charge while you are asleep....and that your non-conscious is not convinced of the benefits associated with CPAP therapy.

Until you are totally convinced....... from the top of your head all the way to the end of your little toenails.....that your life will be shortened if you aren't successful with CPAP therapy, that mask will continue to come off while you're asleep.

You're just not totally convinced that you need to put up with the hassle.

Your conscious mind needs to have a serious discussion with your sub-conscious.

Gerald

bdp522

Post by bdp522 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:30 am

Another forum member had great success by telling herself;
I MUST do this. I HAVE TO keep the mask on. I NEED to wear it all night every night. If you wake with the mask off, but it back on. Even if only for a few minutes. It might just let your brain know that you ARE gonna do this.
Wear the mask while awake, read, listen to the radio or watch TV to take your mind off the machine and mask. Start for a few minutes a couple of times a day and increase the time each time you do it. Eventually your brain WILL accept that you are going to do this no matter what!

Brenda

echo

Post by echo » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:59 am

Just another thought -- I've been on CPAP for a year and have taken off the mask a handful of times, but never because I thought I didn't need xPAP. It would happen for one of the following two reasons:
- The mask just wasn't fitting well that day -- too tight, leaking a bit more than usual, etc, and I hadn't adjusted it or cleaned it properly
- I wasn't on the right pressure, so at some point i would wake up after an apnea event, find the mask suffocating, and take it off

So my point is, it's not necessarily that someone may be anti-PAP that he's taking off the mask - there are other issues too!
But i do agree with the assessment that your unconscience is uncomfortable with something!

Many have reported that Pur-sleep helps them keep the mask on: http://www.pur-sleep.com . Sleepguy, our forum friend who developed this fantastic product, is currently running a free trial - follow this link: FREE PurSleep (Aromatic) Samples
PR System One APAP, 10cm
Activa nasal mask + mouth taping w/ 3M micropore tape + Pap-cap + PADACHEEK + Pur-sleep
Hosehead since 31 July 2007, yippie!

looking4zzzz

Post by looking4zzzz » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:29 pm

I am unsure about the "you're not totally convinced you need it" explanation. It might be true for you...don't know. I know I have ripped off the mask twice and turned off the maching while I was "sleeping" during the 2 months I've used my CPAP. I don't take any sleep meds. I have no idea why I did it, and don't recall it. I am sure something happened during those nights...I just don't know what. I was too groggy in sleep to be able to think clearly and I couldn't remember what might have happened, when I woke up the next mornings. There is no way it was because I didn't want to use my machine, at any level. I love my machine. I can't get over how much better I feel since I have gotten on this therapy. I do think sometimes things happen, that without someone else there to see, or a sleep study, or something, we can't explain. Maybe I got a bunch of rainout and it shocked me and I don't remember it. Could the power have blipped? Did an apnea wake me up and I don't remember? Without vidotape, sometimes we'll never know.