The bridge of my nose is killing me! Help, Please!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
mazsdps

The bridge of my nose is killing me! Help, Please!

Post by mazsdps » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:13 pm

Hi All,
I'm new here and would love it if I could get some advice from you all. What I've read so far it sounds like everyone here are some really nice people with great advice and information. I've been using a cpap for two years now. I have been through 10 different mask and my bridge is still hurting. Every morning when I wake up my bridge is red, swolen and hurting. It stays red until around 5 or 6 in the evening. I've tried putting cotton under the mask, it makes it leak. I've tried gauze, it makes it leak. Now I've been taking a bandage and cutting it to fit across my bridge and so far it hasn't made my mask leak, but I still have the red and hurting on my nose. I need some serious help! I have an appointment with an ENT doctor on April 22nd to discuss surgery. My sister-n-law had surgery for her osa about 10 years ago and she ended up back on her cpap about a year later. I just had a friend have it done about a month ago and she said it was the most painful thing she has ever had to deal with. I'm so scared to have the surgery, but I just don't think I can deal with the bridge of my nose hurting all the time. My nose is big enough without having a big red bump on it to draw more unwanted attention, lol! Joking aside, I really would love to hear any suggestions on how to get my nose to quit hurting and on what you all think about the surgery. I almost forgot to tell you what kind of mask I wear. I wear a nasal mask by Puritan Bennett, its the Breeze SleepGear, but it's been motified by my husband. It fits better than it did, but it hasn't helped with the nose situation. Thanks in advance for any help!
mazsdps

ozij

Post by ozij » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:40 pm

I wear a nasal mask by Puritan Bennett, its the Breeze SleepGear, but it's been motified by my husband. It fits better than it did, but it hasn't helped with the nose situation.
Have you tried a nasal pillows mask? There are a number of nasal pillows masks around that will not even touch the bridge of your nose.

https://www.cpap.com/advanced-find-cpap ... sk-Systems

Research published in respeceted medical newspapers (e.g. the New England Journal of Medicine) has shown that UPPP does not really help sleep apnea.

Many of us have found that adding an elastic strap to stabilize the mask helps tremendously. The strap is usually made from a cut off panty hose leg.

Which masks have you tried? What is your pressure?

Mack's silicone putty earplugs, worked into a snake shape and put between the mask seal and your face also help.

O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

alnhwrd

Post by alnhwrd » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:41 pm

I would try a different mask before surgery. There are lots of them out there. Browse through some of the varieties on CPAP.Com and then search the site for the ones that look interesting to see what others have to say about them. Lots of people have several types they rotate through so that no one spot on their face gets irritated for very long. Best of Luck!

ww

Re: The bridge of my nose is killing me! Help, Please!

Post by ww » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:44 pm

[quote="mazsdps"]Hi All,
I'm new here and would love it if I could get some advice from you all. What I've read so far it sounds like everyone here are some really nice people with great advice and information. I've been using a cpap for two years now. I have been through 10 different mask and my bridge is still hurting. /quote]

Consider canceling the appointment to discuss surgery based on the poor success rate. There are several masks that should fix your problem much easier. Look at the ResMed Swift II, which seems quite popular and doesn't have any parts that touch the bridge of your nose.

The UltraMirage is a full face mask as is the Quattro that have a pivot on your forehead that can keep the mask from touching your nose at all. The ResMed Activa or any mask that works on the principal of a forehead pad and a sealing surface that is pressurized should be able to be adjusted to be comfortable whether full face or nasal.

The nasal pillow masks may create another problem, but they will sure solve the one you have and several women on the forum are pleased with using them. Good Luck.

mazsdps

Post by mazsdps » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:38 am

I've tried the nasal pillows by breeze and they made my nostrils so sore and they wouldn't stay in. The head gear for the breeze mask hurt my head so my husband cut the hard parts off and modified it some more and now it works better for me, but the breeze pillows wouldn't work when he modified it so I use the nasal mask.
My pressure started out at 4 and ramped to 8. I was having trouble getting enough air so they tested me and ended up having to start it out at 8 and it ramps up to 13, I can breathe a lot better so I'm sleeping better. You asked which masks I've used, I have used so many I can't remember, but I have all of them stored in my closet, I can look them up and post what I've used. I clicked on the link I was given and I'm really interested in this mask, New ResMed Mirage Swift II. If anyone is using it or has used it I would love to hear from you. The reviews on it were really good. I also looked at this mask, CPAP PRO. The reviews were good on it also. I'm supposed to wear a mouth guard, but I can't fight with it and my mask, I would go crazy and this one has a mouth guard in it. Thank you all for responding, you were very helpful.

alnhwrd

Post by alnhwrd » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:52 am

Maz,

Your post said you are using a breeze, but if you are using a nasal type mask, here is a link that shows how to use the Mack's silicone ear plug putty to form an extra seal around the cushion. By doing this, I am able to loosen my straps enough to keep my nose from getting torn up.

I have also used the following method to protect the affected area and help it heal. First, I cut out a piece of paper tape about the size of the affected area and carefully place it over it. Then I use a piece of moleskin or molefoam padding and place it over the top of the paper tape. It worked for me, long enough for my skin to heal up and toughen up. Hope this helps!

mazsdps

Post by mazsdps » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:58 am

[quote="alnhwrd"]Maz,

Your post said you are using a breeze, but if you are using a nasal type mask, here is a link that shows how to use the Mack's silicone ear plug putty to form an extra seal around the cushion. By doing this, I am able to loosen my straps enough to keep my nose from getting torn up.

I have also used the following method to protect the affected area and help it heal. First, I cut out a piece of paper tape about the size of the affected area and carefully place it over it. Then I use a piece of moleskin or molefoam padding and place it over the top of the paper tape. It worked for me, long enough for my skin to heal up and toughen up. Hope this helps!

alnhwrd

Post by alnhwrd » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:07 am

OOPS! My bad! Here is the link:

viewtopic.php?p=228349&sid=5863e3677f73 ... 06ce9d9d8a

If your nose is hurt, try at least a piece of paper tape over it, with maybe a dab of neosporin.

You can also try Padacheeks. (http://www.padacheeks.com). She makes a very nice nose bridge protector, soft fleece, feels great. Very fast and easy to deal with, not expensive either. Go to the website and check it out.

mazsdps

Post by mazsdps » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:13 am

Thanks alnhwrd, I'm going to the web site for padacheeks and order me some. I appreciate all the info!

oldgearhead

Post by oldgearhead » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:17 am

For me the solutions were:
1) Sore nose bridge - go to nasal pillow masks.
2) Sore inside nose - usa a lube like AyrGel or bag Balm. I have both
AyrGel and Bag Balm, and for me the bag balm does a better job. I
think its because of the large amount of lanolin oil in Bag Balm.

I have been on CPAP or quite a while now, and I use the Hybrid
most of the time. If I need a break from the Hybrid, I use the CL2
for awhile.

People have more fun than anybody..

Needsdecaf

Post by Needsdecaf » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:57 am

Not sure what other's experience has been but in speaking to my ENT, he noted that surgery would be better for snoring than OSA. His quote was "well, it's up to you, but I wouldn't do it".

YMVM.

NightHawkeye

Post by NightHawkeye » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:58 am

mazsdps wrote:I've tried the nasal pillows by breeze and they made my nostrils so sore and they wouldn't stay in. The head gear for the breeze mask hurt my head so my husband cut the hard parts off and modified it some more and now it works better for me, but the breeze pillows wouldn't work when he modified it so I use the nasal mask.
Nasal pillows work well only for folks with round nares. If your nares are essentially slotted, then the shape of the pillows distorts too much and leaking/pain result.

The Comfort Curve is an unorthodox interface which, instead of stuffing anything up into your nostrils, simply fits snugly up against the bottom of the nares. Because of that it can work well regardless of nare shape. It provides the benefits of nasal pillows without the drawbacks.

There's a catch though (isn't there always). Many folks have found they can't get the Comfort Curve to fit properly. (Is that any different than with any other mask?) If the Comfort Curve will work for you, you will find it to be remarkably quiet (the quietest I've used) and comfortable (the most comfortable I've used). It also stays in place better than any other mask I've used.

Just something to consider, mazsdps, which potentially could alleviate some of your current problems.

Regards,
Bill

andy88488

Post by andy88488 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:43 am

I had a similar problem with a mask that ended up fitting me extremely well, the Mirage Full Face from Resmed. The first this you have to do is stop the irritation and let your nose heal. For me, that meant changing temporarily to another mask. For you, that might mean temporarily going off CPAP, unless you have an alternative mask.

Once your nose has healed, you could try this mask again. I found with the Mirage that when I tried it again, fitting it from scratch, my nose did not get hurt. But just in case, I also use Pad-a-cheek's nose protector, which works well and doesn't cause significant leaking.

Hope this helps,
Andy

mazsdps

Post by mazsdps » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:59 am

I think I would like to try the Mirage Swift II Nasal Pillow System. I've tried all of the other mask you all have mentioned and have had no luck. The Mirage Swift II looks like one I could use because it doesn't touch the bridge of my nose. I broke my nose when I was 13 and ended up with a bump close to the bridge. I guess this is why I'm having such a hard time. If anyone has used the Mirage Swift II Nasal Pillow let me know how it is. I read all the reviews on it and more like it than don't. Also, I called today and canceled my appointment with the ENT doctor. I'm going to try at least 2 more mask before going that route. Thanks for all your replies!

sleeplessinaz

Post by sleeplessinaz » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:26 pm

Hello---I am still trying to find that "perfect" mask too! I have the Mirage Swift II Nasal Pillows. I loved it until it started leaking and making sounds while I was sleeping. I put it away for awhile and then got it back out recently. I kept waking up all night as the air sounds were so much louder than a nasal mask. So I put it away again. I go between the Comfort Gel and the FlexiFit 407--I guess at some point I will get the Swift II back out again. It has an awesome headgear and does not go on your forehead. PLUS you could watch TV with it on your face ---so give it a try as it might work for you!!! Good Luck!
SIAZ

APAP setting is 6 to 12
HH 2.5
Side Sleeper
HypoThyroidism & Diabetes
New Airsense autoset 12/08/14